Dance Ads > What to do? ? ? Dress for Sale

Discussion in 'Dance Ads' started by ChaChaLicious, Aug 3, 2005.

1. ChaChaLicious

ChaChaLicious New Member

hey all... i have a competition dress from a few years back thats in perfect condition,worn only 2 times. i've tried selling it on ballroomdancers.com and on ebay... and nothing... its a cute dress... pink and black with 1200 swarovski stones. intricate design and a puffy-esque bottom. (email me or PM me for pic). i got it custom made for $400. i would like to sell it at least for half price, considering its pretty much brand new. if you would like it, or know someone who would like, or know of any other websites where i can try to sell it.. please let me know... Thanks ....

2. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

PM me with details, ok?

3. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Sorry can't help out with any advice, but I have been wondering about the resale market. Has anyone out there had much success reselling dresses and do you have any advice on how to do it?

4. Laura

Laura New Member

I've had decent success, which is kind of odd because I am not a common size for a ballroom dancer. For me the trick is to not charge too much for the dress, and to sell when I have a buyer -- not when I feel like selling the dress (I sold a dress off my back at a comp after wearing it only once...and I sold it for a really low price but still got more for it than I spent on materials so I was happy. I figure I could always make a new dress but I couldn't always find someone willing to write me a check for $425 on the spot!) Half of what it was new is a really good price.

5. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Thanks for the advice Laura. I have trouble in that my partner gets really attached to costumes and keeps talking me out of putting them up for sale! I have a latin costume sitting in the closet right now even though we've decided to stop competing in that style. I guess i'd better ignore him and start advertising or it'll go out of style!

6. So did you ever sell the dress, ChaChaLicious?

7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Haven't "seen" her since she stated she was quitting dancing.

I have a couple I'm trying to sell, too, but I haven't been really good about doing so. So, Laura, is it common to take checks from people you don't know?

8. lynn

lynn New Member

oh, i thought you said you have "a couple" (as in ppl) you wanted to sell..... o.k., maybe it's time for me to take a nap....zzzz.......

9. mamboqueen

Yes, I have a couple of small children I want to sell from time to time.

(Just kidding...although sometimes the thought does cross my mind!).

10. Oh right ... forgot, since I think I saw that announcement just shortly after I started on DF ... sad :(

Good luck with selling your dresses, MQ! and good luck at Hotlanta too!

11. mamboqueen

Well, most of us took secret bets that she'd be back again. You know, it's really HARD to give up dancing :)

Thanks on Hotlanta. I'm just hoping to have a really good time...and perhaps meet a few df'ers along the way. In fact, I might be tempted to skip the dancing and go sit by the pool.

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I didn't. She may be back. But, since it took her six years to quit, it may be a while. :?

13. lynn

lynn New Member

she's going through college - so it might keep her occupied for a while....

14. I see ... college means many many distractions! :lol: