What to do if you lose a toe nail

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

What can you do (other than wait three months for the nail to grow back!) if you lose a toe nail? Unlike finger nails that break, where you can at least wear a false nail, the same does not apply for toe nails? Or does it?
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Are you okay? :?
  3. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: Yes thanks. Lost a toenail due to a mishap. Now have to wait for the nail to grow back, so that I can paint it orange with yellow spots once again. ;)
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ouch! I thought I was going to lose one, as well. I have a severely bruised nail, but apparenlty, the nail bed is okay. So the nail is still attached three weeks later.

Losing a nail? Ouch! :(
  5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Might lose a coupel next year to solve my ingrown toe nails so do keep us posted. I want to know what I'm in for.
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

You wait for the new one to grow in!
    I had some ill-fitting tennis shoes and was playing tennis in them for 4 hours a day for an entire week. When I got back from the vacation, I noticed my (big) toenail was blue and loose. I trimmed it as it grew out(part was still attached) and everything went well after that.
  7. africana

africana New Member

I painted mine the same color as the rest of my nails, but with mroe coats t hide the uneven bumps on the fallen off big toe nail. It was caused by those darn ugly goat-hooved dance sneakers
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Ha ha, I think the same about the dance sneakers! I always refer to them as mule-hooves!
  9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Hmm. Any doctors/beauty technicians in the house to help explain this? I was reliably told, once or twice, and I paraphrase - if you cut a "v" in the middle of the toe nail, this forces the nail to grow to fill the space left by the "v" helping to relieve the pressure on the outer edges of the nail and reduce the ingrown toe nail situation. At what point this is most effective? I don't know/remember :(

:lol: yes, it was the "curse of the mule-hooves" that got me :lol:
  10. BM

BM New Member

Hanging by a Nail

Admittedly I'm a bit freaked out by myself right now: two of my toes are dangerously close to losing their nails. The nails have ripped almost all the way across the toes about maybe a centimeter from the cuticle.

Any particular way I should go about practise (sneakers v. Latin heels v. stay off the floor if I can)?

Anything I can do for my feet? Obviously I can't force the nail to grow back any faster, but is there something I can do to ensure that the nail grows back properly, or prevent infection, etcetera? Should I rip the rest of the nail off? I considered bandaging it, but I'm guessing that the bandaid will last maybe two minutes after I start practising.
  11. QPO

QPO New Member

oh wow your toes must be under enourmous pressure to loose them like that. I think that you have to let nature run its course and perhaps look for different shoes.
  12. BM

BM New Member

Nail Glue?

I actually think that it may have something to do with wearing closed-toed high-heels on a regular basis. Maybe I should go a half-size up . . .

The nail has not ripped all the way across yet. It's probably more like 4/5 ripped across. Has anyone ever tried using nail glue to sort of keep things together until the rip grows out any more? I figure that I have toenails for a reason, so if I can avoid losing them entirely, it would likely be a good thing.
  13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

It can't be just that. I wear closed-toed high-heels all the time--pretty much every single day through the winter--and have been for years. I've never lost a toe nail.
  14. Kassia

Kassia New Member

My dh has stepped on my left big toe twice now and torn a good portion of it of... I am regularily asked by the pedicurist why that toe nail is so short.. I tell her i keep it that way so dh doesn't break it at ballroom dance.. They usually laugh and say that's an injury they dont' see all that often.. Why just yesterday i had the pedicures laughing in fits when i told her that ballroom dancing is very dangerous and that the injuries seem to take forever to heal... All kidding side i am still waiting for a pair of closed toed shoes that i orded online and they are back ordered.. Akkk.... In the meantime i do find that my toes don't get beat up as much when i wear a light sock or trouser socks in my ballroom shoes.. The last toenail that i broke was my own fault tho so now i have 2 really short ones...
  15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I lose them all the time. They split horizontally across and the tear upward from the split. It is a painful 2 weeks as it loosens and snags. But I just grin and bear it. And I proudly paint all of the toenails leaving that toe blank. To me it is daily life and nothing to fret over.
  16. Kassia

Kassia New Member

Actually i think you can get gel toenails done too... Might be worth looking into if you want your feet too look like for sandals or a show...
  17. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

My daughter has no fingernails (birth defect resulting in fingers only to the first knuckle) and paints 'fingernails' on them with polish! (fake nails won't really stick to just skin.) Lasts only a couple of days but makes her feel more normal.:)
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

When it happens, is it always caused by a student or social dancer stepping on you?
  19. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

DH, the nurse, said to let it go...does not recommend putting glue on because you could get "stuff" (I'm presuming bacteria type stuff) there and could lead to infection.
  20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

BM, mostly I just wait and when it is ready to rip off it will, anytime before that and it HURTS. It grows back normal, don't worry. I have occassionally used superglue to put it down to wait it out. I suppose it could get infected, but it never has.

I think it happens from my dance shoes, not the students. I can't ever recall it happening in my life before I started dancing.