Dancers Anonymous > What to do if you lose a toe nail

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Nov 6, 2005.

1. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I have occasionally lost toenails, always from my shoes. If a strap from the shoe rubs on the cuticle of my little toe (my nail bed on that toe faces slightly to the outside, so this happens often with strappy latin shoes), the nail can come lose and fall off.

Just sort fell out of its own accord - doesn't hurt. Feels weird for a few days, but nothing major. Always grew in normal.

2. Kassia

Kassia New Member

Has your dh the nurse forgotten that crazy glue was actually invented as a medical field dressing??? Why do you think it glues skin together so well?

3. BM

BM New Member

Thanks, Larinda, duly noted. I did end up supergluing the nails. Hopefully they'll survive through Yankee, Manhattan, and a couple of other performances!

4. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

Do the toes hurt? Did they bleed? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had my partner step on my big toe, which created a big split across in the middle. I freaked out and posted about it, too. Becuase it was right before the National, I saw a podistrist. He examined it and told me that the split was only on the top layer and the nail bed was intact. He told me that I did not need to do anything to protect my toe and keep dancing. But I think he did not know what ballroom dance could do to our feet, so I kept my toe covered with bandaid all the time until the split grew out and fell off. Everyhting turned out Ok.

5. QPO

QPO New Member

I heard it can happen if your shoes are too small, I dont like loose shoes but if you are dancing alot (including the Practice) you may need to alter shoes from tight to looser to take the pressue off.

6. Chiron

Chiron New Member

The other night I was practicing NY's and managed to really nailed my big toe with the heel of my other foot and ended up ripping my nail up back about a cm. As I was taping up my toe I remember thinking "Thank goodness I'm a guy and have closed toe shoes." I must say I've got nothing but respect for all the ladies in rhythm and latin that are out there with open toe shoes. If I had to do that I think I would have lost a few toenails by now.

7. Becca

Becca Active Member

Just reading through these posts and am comforted to hear that many of you have lost nails in the past and had them grow back as normal. I had always thought that once you completely lost it, that was it, and it would never grow back. I just lost one tonight for no apparent reason at all. Glad to know I won't be toenail-less forever!

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

NP stepped on my toe in Maryland, forgetting that I do not know the silver FT, during a combined scholarship...and I have consequently lost that toenail...it looks like I MIGHT get it back but, if not, for comps, I have a friend who lost one permanently who has her nail tail(edit....nail tech) make one for her

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Nail tail?

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lol...ooops...nail tech...was exhausted last night

11. mad123

mad123 Member

While in recovery some relief may be achieved using those thin gel finger/toe "sleeves" sold at places like CVS, Walgreens, etc. Would only work in a closed toe shoe situation but they can help alleviate some of the pressure from the shoe pressing against the toe, especially the first few days. Because of the design they stay on much better than bandaids.

12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

how has everyone msised the obvious answer? duct tape!!

13. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

:shock: *shudder at the thought of then REMOVING the duct tape*
    Lost a big toenail when I was a kid, and it was misery. When that last little bit finally came off, it hurt like he77 and bled like crazy.

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

heh, never actually lost a nail that I can remember. Used duct tape to tpae up all kinds of injuries on feet when I was regularly kneeboarding though. :)

15. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Yeah it's all fun and games.. until somebody loses a toe nail..

Didn't backread enough to see if that was already used.

16. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

This little pig broke his leg dancing.
    This little pig got stuck in a lift.
    This little pig had a big cake.
    This little pig lost his toe-nails.
    This little pig cried "use duct tape"
    All the way to the hospital. :D

17. twotatango

twotatango New Member

How long does it take a nail to grow back? This sounds like an utterly unbearable situation lol.

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Depends on the person. Faster your nails grow normally, faster lost nail will grow back.

And welcome to DF!

19. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

I bite my finger nails and if I leave them it takes about 3 - 4 weeks to grow back.

It's to a level my sister catergorises them as 'eeew', 'disgusting creature', 'throw up' to give you an idea... although I'm no where near as bad as I used to be...

20. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Recently lost a left big toe nail. Luckily the nail was stayed until the new nail grew in a half size of the old one. So the old one actually covered the new nail and protected it. It sounds very gross and indeed it was gross. lol.:lol: Sorry I gross you out in the morning. Finally, it came off a week ago and since then I have started to put band-aid on the big toe because it has a pad inside and I will not have a pain when I remove it. But, it looks still gross. :lol: