Tango Argentino > What to do in a class where you're in over your head

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Sunny Daye, Aug 12, 2007.

1. spectator

spectator Member

bah these londoners they're either inverted or straight forward snobs when they look across the fields to Essex...
    we don't claim to be londoners they stole our accent and named it "estuary"...

2. Cortado

Cortado New Member

Well .... I think that you are all talking about the wrong definition of .. class.
    :)

class as in "place where you learn stuff" rather than "something that you inherited from your parents". :)

3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I guess it is the same everywhere. I often tell Americans that Parisians are just the New Yorkers of France.

4. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

A couple of years back I returned from what I thought was a most friendly New York. The people I found most helpful. When I reported back to the office some of my colleagues were quick to point out how rude they thought they were when they had travelled there. I had to laugh and shake my head. You ask a Londoner the direction or go to offer him a leaflet etc. when they're in a rush (i.e. on the way to work), they will look at you as if you've just murdered their cat. Even the Parisiennes helped me out when I lived there and yes, they knew that I was British and the tale of these two cities have never been a good one. A Londoner will smile and say their "thank yous" but OMG if you have an accent foreign to theirs then know that the minute your back is turned they are no long smiling but laughing.

My friend at a milonga on Sunday. The small meditterrean chap took her hand, kissed it and walked her back to her seat. This I thought was very sweet and very rare. My friend to me after the chap left our company: "Dear God, did you that dreadful accent?"

5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Your friend asked God if He created that dreadful accent?

6. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Yes, and you know what God replied, "vive le difference m'enfant".:bouncy:

7. Hock Siew

Hock Siew New Member

I agree fully with Angel HI :D

I think I understand how you feel, Sunny Daye. I`m a beginner myself; and I felt like I was in a similar situation before, although possibly not as bad.

Anyway, after that particular workshop, I tried to thank the girl whom I was dancing with for her patience with me. We had been paired at random, and this was the first time I was dancing with her or even meeting her.

This was what she had to say to me :
    "You are welcome! We are all students and everyone needs help to improve. I lose nothing but knowledge and experience to gain."

I will always take heart from this. Thank you to all the gracious dancers out there :D

8. Angel HI

Je vous en prie. Bienvenue au DF.

9. Me

Me New Member

I dunno... maybe it is the southern accent, but I've only encountered one rude Parisian in my life (nasty woman in a museum gift shop who slammed change on the table when I bought a 1 euro postcard with a 5 euro note). Now the milonga left something to be desired, as many of the younger gentlemen did pass over me to stick to their obvious favorite dancers... though all of the cuddly fun to dance with older gentlemen (complete with AT pillows, aka bellies) danced me a lot.

I haven't had the opportunity to dance AT in London but all of the people were extremely nice to me. The people I traveled with had to literally drag me away from conversation with complete strangers. Again, it might have been the southern accent. I know I was listening to theirs!

10. Angel HI

I have found it, surprisingly attractive. ;)

Sorry...side note. :rolleyes:

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Like Gomez in the Addams Family?

12. Angel HI

:uplaugh: Ouais.