What to do with my HAIR!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Swirl, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Swirl

Swirl New Member

I am looking for input about hair products. I have very thick and fine hair, down to between my shoulders. I put it in a low pony tail because I can't seem to get it all in a bun and have it stay. BUT, even with a pony tail at the nape of my neck, I find that my hair gets loose with all of the spinning that I do. Any suggestions on products that will REALLY not let my hair move?

Thank you!

Swirl

2. danceintherainn

danceintherainn New Member

i use this gel called Bada Bing Gel by Beyond the ZOne pro formula, i got it at Sally beauty supply.
    What i do ( by the way, i have really long thick and curly hair) is wet my hair completly in the shower, then just slightly pat it with a towel so that its still wet but not soaking, and then i apply A LOT of gel, style my hair and then hair spray it down with Treseme 4+4 extreme hold hair spray. I just figured out this whole wet hair shower thing so now my hair gets as flat as i want it to be, and hold really well in a bun throughout the whole competition.

hope that helps,
    lt

3. yanka

yanka New Member

I do the hair-still-wet-from-shower thing too.

4. ladyinred

ladyinred New Member

as a lady with extremely long and thick hair, and an extensive ballet/jazz background, I like to think I know how to put hair into a bun. So, maybe this will help.

I put my hair in a ponytail first and divide it into two sections. I twist the first section around the base of the ponytail and then pin it using two LARGE straight bobby pins (or more) and a few smaller A Shaped pins. Then I twist the second section and secure it with two LARGE straight bobby pins and A pins. Then, use a hair net (purchasable at all drug stores and walmart) in your hair color to cover your bun. Secure the edges of the net with small, straight pins. The hair net is key to keeping flyaways in.

For hair at the base of the neck, use a heavy duty gel like Dep on the hair at the nape of your neck before you make your ponytail. If necessary, use a bobby pin or a clear snap hair holder to hold the hair under your pony tail in shape.

I'm a big fan of gel! Gel gel gel!

If this can work on my hair, I'm pretty sure it should be able to work on yours. Some friends of mine have even split their ponytails into 3 or 4 sections. You can do it!

5. arianiah

arianiah New Member

try using a hair net..they come in different shades..it's worth a try even with the gel. I have really thick frizzy hair and i always end up with fly-aways..this really helps and usualy no one is the wiser unless they looked really close.

6. arianiah

arianiah New Member

Maybe after you gel it, braid your pony before wrapping it in a bun. I think that would work too. I know some girls rat their ponies before pinning them around..they say it helps the bun to stay in place and it feels lighter.

7. yanka

yanka New Member

I use a hair net but skip the separating and twisting part that ladyinred suggests. I just sort of shove my long hair in there (I also tease it to give the bun more volume) and create shape by pinning the hair net in place.
    Hair gel is definitely the way to go (you want to use the gel on the areas outside the hair net). I eventually realized that I no longer need hair spray for fly aways thanks to the wet hair/gel combo.

8. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Funny, for me it's the other way around, I used to use gel, but now realized that hair spray does a lot better job of holding everything in place :)

9. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I've found that a dry hair/hairspray combination ends up with a smoother, more polished look for my hair. Plus its easier to work with than wet hair and gel. I do use hairnets to help hold buns in place, though.

10. Katarzyna

Same here, exactly!

11. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Some people I know use hairspray, blow it dry, spray again, blow it dry, repeat as necessary.

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Isn't that harsh on the hair?

13. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Probably, but hey, it's the least of the sacrifices most of us make for dancing!

But you can use a low setting for the dryer. The point is to dry it quickly enough to use several coats of spray, not the heat itself.

14. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh thank you so much! I've never known how to style a bun, because when I took Ballet, I had very short hair whereas now I have very long thick hair! Thanks for sharing your information!;)

15. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yes! That's what killed my hair back in the 80's! ;)

16. Swirl

Swirl New Member

Ladies! Thank you so much for all of your answers. I have been fighting with it forever! I have tried the dry hair and hairspray and it was not holding enough for me. I will try the wet hair and gel and also the bun. You guys are awesome!

Swirl

17. Katarzyna

You have to have one of those "instant freeze" sprays for the hair to really stay in place... Good luck with the gel.

18. Swirl

Swirl New Member

I am open to all suggestions. What freeze spray would you recommend?

Thank you!

Swirl

19. Katarzyna

Pretty much most CHEAP sprays that say "instant freeze" will do the job. Not good for your hair, but will keep things in place.

20. alemana

alemana New Member

i use brands "got 2 b" and the old standby aqua net.