Swing Discussion Boards > what to learn and when

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by shopper-lisa, Sep 22, 2004.

1. shopper-lisa

shopper-lisa New Member

how would you all suggest the 1920's - 40's be learned... is it good to learn a few at the same time (ex. shag and lindy)? Which ones can be mixed together? Also, do ballroom dances like waltz mix with swing? Where does tap fit in to it?

2. d nice

d nice New Member

Go with wherever your interests lay. Sure some fit together better than others, lindy hop, 20's Charleston,Balboa and Bal-Swing for instance. However you will prgoress more rapidly in dances that hold your attention.

Does waltz fit with lindy... well yes and no. Waltz and lindy use very different body movement and partner interaction but that isn't to say that learning waltz can't give you some insight into improving your lindy hop in one fashion or another, nor does it mean that you can't eventually learn how to incoporate some moves and movements into your lindy hop without looking like you have just broken out in a waltz.

Tap, particularly rhythm tap (sometimes known as a jazz, funk or hip-hop tap as oppossed to broadway tap) is very helpful when it comes to balance, timing, syncopatioins and an inheirent since of swing.

Nothing other than lindy hop is necessary, but the more you learn the more sources you have to draw from and the more sources you have to draw from the more uniqulely you your lindy hop will become.

3. Doug

Doug New Member

OTOH, Nothing other than Bal / bal-swing is necessary either. 8)

4. tanzsegler

tanzsegler New Member

while waltz is ok with some selected lindy/swing music, you would be better off spending the time to learn the Foxtrot as it can be danced to almost all 20s-40s music.

It also can be danced to almost all 40s- today;'s music, although when you get out of the swing era, the fox doesn't have the same feel as the music you are dancing it to.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Interesting topic. If you're going to learn waltz, etc, beware. If your swing turns "ballroomy," you'll become persona non grata at a lot of swing dances.

That said, a lot of foxtrot music can be swing danced to, and vice versa.

6. blue

blue New Member

What does "ballroomyness" consist of, besides a different frame?

7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'm have problems understanding mixing waltz in with swing. The rhythm of the music seem too different to me, 3/4 as opposed to 4/4. Since Foxtrot is also even-count like swing, I am able to see that.

8. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Probably different attitutde and different posture. More stiff and erect as opposed to more bent in the knees and lending forward.

I imagine mixing ballroom and Lindy styles will have you end up something west coast swing-like.

And a Salsa dancer doing Lindy tends to have that weird hip-rolling motion going on.

9. tanzsegler

tanzsegler New Member

Ballroomyness new word to me. I'd assume you mean the posture and styling of ballroom dancing. Ballroom dancing one trys to rise up out of the floor and float on top of it. (latin this only refers to the upper body), in Lindy you dance into the floor, knees bent, hips back, pushing into, not off of the floor.

For me, to get into Lindy position when I was just starting out, the best way seemed to be to jump up (really) and relax myself as I landed on the balls of my feet.

happy dancin'

10. jon

jon Member

I don't know about that. Ballroom and Lindy dancers alike are usually easily detectable in WCS contexts, but it's not like they sit on opposite ends of a spectrum of styling with WCS in the middle.

11. blue

blue New Member

I always liked being creative with language. 8)

12. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

There's no WCS where I come from, but I see WCS as more erect, less bouncy, more 'elegant arm movements' etc. Things I expect from ballroom and not from Lindy.

I am sure there's differences between ballroom and WCS too. And I don't think you can place the dances along a one dimensional axis. But I do see WCS as more ballroomy than Lindy.

Of course, since noone really does WCS here, I might be totally wrong.