Swing Discussion Boards > What to wear for WCS?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by suburbaknght, Feb 22, 2007.

1. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Hi all. My ballroom team has their showcase coming up in a little over a month, and while my ballroom dances aren't ready for public display yet, my west coast - while I've only danced it socially - is something I can and will have ready, and so I'll be performing. My question is...

What do people wear for west coast performances? I'm aware of the clothing/costuming for standard/smooth ballroom, Latin and salsa, and east coast swing and lindy hop, but what's a good outfit for west coast?

If it helps, we'll probably be dancing to "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy," by Big and Rich, "Magic Dance" by David Bowie from the movie Labyrinth, or "Black Velvet," by Alannah Myles (yes I know they're varied. We're still deciding what feel we want the performance to have).

2. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

Usually I wear loose black pants. Sometimes really wide leg ones. And a nice top. I personally lke sparkly tops and more fitted tops. Long sleeve, short sleeve, no sleeve... whatever. This is pretty much standard gear for WCS. I almost never see skirts. Hope that helps!

3. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

It does sound lovely and would compliment the music, but perhaps I should have specified that I'm a lead.

4. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

Current standard is for co-ordinated outfits rather than costumes. There are a few top followers who dance in skirts, but slacks is the norm.

Ben and Melina's dress here is fairly typical:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dit2deyf8WA

5. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

Oops. :oops:

Sorry about that...