Swing Discussion Boards > What was the opposite of collegiate?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by opendoor, Feb 29, 2012.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

What was the opposite of collegiate in the dance language of the 1910s - 20s?

(social, conservative, traditional, closed, established, common, ballroomish, english, european, old-fashioned?)

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

It's my understanding that collegiate was used as an adjective to describe a more vigorous version of any particluar dance, mostly done by those young college kids.

So, the regular version of "collegiate X" was simply "X".

3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I would say.. " Adventurous " .
    A brave new era, with people breaking new ground.

4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I meant it the other way round. How did these guys designated and address the prevailing traditional way at that time?

5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

In the ballroom field, ( latin and standard ).. the prof who were "ranked " in those time periods , 20s and 30, for B.R., and 40s in latin, took copious notes on HOW people danced,then had round table discussions on how to formulate a list of basic foundastion material.I had the pleasure of being around, meeting and seeing many of them ,at the ends of their careers .

There are still a couple of them left, and still kinda active( one writes a column ) .

Some of the names given to certain steps, have interesting
    backgrounds .

Once the "names "were part of the lexicon, they migrated , in some cases, to other style and dances .

Salsa, specifically, relied heavily on Mambo, as you probably know.. but.. it rejected most of the names that were ( and are still ) in existence .

I guess someone felt, that the tie to the past needed to be severed .

On the " swing " side of things, the changes primarily came-about due to change in music, as has been defined here in the past.

Most dances emerging in the early yrs, were not considered by the general public, as being suitable for public performance,from Tango to Lindy to R and R .

I know that many dislike the " chains ", but, they did more for public awareness in the social strata, than most anything or anyone.