Tango Argentino > what would you do....

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by jfm, Dec 15, 2007.

1. jfm

jfm Active Member

if you had to move somewhere where there was no tango?
    If you can't commute to another town for it either?
    would you refuse to move there?
    give up tango until there is something near by?
    what a horrible terrible thought.

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Depends on why you were going there (and for how long). I dont' tango (yet), but have given up ballroom for a year to take a job in kuwait. But this job will get me completely out of debt, and as a side effect to that, will let me dance even more when I get back. Worth a year commitment to me right now.

Plus still SOME dancing here, and DF helps me keep in touch with dance. :)

3. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

I'm facing this problem right now, trying to start my career off in a fairly obscure field. I'll let you know if I have to make that choice.

If I do have to set out into the desert, I would put serious thought to starting my own community off, by any means possible.

4. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I agree with etp. Would this be "forever" or just a year or so? Would it make you fabulously wealthy? With enough money, you could retire early and buy your own tango club. Need a business manager? ;-)

Previously, I'd say, "Hey, it's just dancing" or running or skiing or model railroading or whatever but having become addicted to dance, I can see where that would be a terrible thing.

5. jfm

jfm Active Member

it would be for years and not for good money. i am in a similar position to kieron i think.
    i've got to the stage where when people ask me about tango the easiest way to answer is "you wouldn't understand".

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Oh, then you have to start your own. Or plan all your vacations to let you do stuff. :) I'm only going to visit home once this year, but already planning on it being in july so that I can attend either our(well, I still consider myself part of this region even if I'm 900 miles away) July regional or the July national competitions. And thinking about using some other vacation time for either a trip to europe planned around international coaching/classes, or a trip to central/south america for lessons in latin, or something. Still not sure yet.

There's always people who are dancing or who want to besides yourself, just a matter of finding them or starting something so they find you. Least, that's what everyone here on DF kept telling me before I finally found dancing here on base.

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

teach it. that's what I did. Its a struggle, lots of fallout but there's a small tango community growing....

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

funny, I imagined you in London BTM - where in the UK is carmen BTM?

Great suggestion by the way. One could start a group of beginners even after learning bronze - its the old ' one-eyed king in the valley of the blind' syndrome. It doesn't satisfy the need for learning but it would provide a community of dancers that might eventually attract a trained coach...

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

oy! I am strictly autodidactic as a teacher.

Are you referrring to Carmen the musical? or is it a new expletive?

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

OK, so your teaching experience is solely lecturing your car. Do you teach it to dance too?

A play on 'Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego', sweetie... I'm trying to locate BTM in the english shires...

11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Ha ED. I knew you'd have to chime in here, eevn if I already repeated the advice you gave me. :)

12. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Separate the Need from the Want. For me personally, I WANT a new kitchen. I NEED to eat better, quit smoking, drink more water. Dancing is just a Want. If moving to this new town will improve your livelihood, lifestyle and/or those of your children, family. Then move.

And besides...depending on your proficiency/confidence why don't you introduce tango to this new town. You could teach a small group to start with, building from there and then holding your own milonga.

13. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Wait a minute JFM...just realised. You're here in the UK. Where are you moving to? There's tango to be had everywhere on this island. Even Cornwall for godsake. :D

14. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I agree with Heather (both posts!)

It's an addiction that you can replace with something else if you give it some time. But if you're in the UK you should be able to get to milongas, workshops, festivals etc pretty often. And starting something on your own sounds like a good idea, it can be very rewarding even though it means putting your energy into other people to build a community and not so much improving your own dancing and just enjoying the dance.

Only you know what this opportunity means to you, good and bad.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Perhaps she is moving overseas to Ouagadougou or somewhere like that.

16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Wow, there really is a place called Ouagadougou - and you are right, apparently there is no tango there or any other ballroom, at least that i can google. You can, however do traditional african dance so, adjust sister OK? :)

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I like the need versus want thing - but I think for some dance can be a need and not a want. However, if that is the case here and one has the choice then don't move.

Its possible (though you may know her better) that jfm is still be a dependent in which case she has no choice but would have to move and may not have her own transportation. It i s more likely, however, that she is simply speculating 'what if' for the hell (I use that word by choice!) of it.

18. jfm

jfm Active Member

it's more a case of having to live somewhere pretty obscure (very likely to be in outside the UK) because it is the only place I can get a job. If that is the case I will have no transport. It is half hypothetical and half reality because it is achoice i really don't want to make. and no i won't have access to my own transport and i won't be paid enough to travel for it. So the consensus is, i should attempt to start my own community.. or refuse to take a job somewhere crappy and hope i can go on the dole...

19. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Hmm... If it's just the lack of tango that's the problem, and everything else is great, then I think you should leave tango behind for a while. But you don't sound at all enthusiastic about this place and the life you'd have there. A crappy place with nothing to offer apart from a job? There has to be another option.

20. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I'm in a similar situation--and I've begun creating my own community (ballroom,) but it's slow going--hoping to build a group that would be interested in bringing in people for workshops, or traveling to another city for them, even for a night of dancing. I enjoy teaching people, but I really miss the opportunity to learn for myself and dance with more advanced dancers.

I can certainly empathize with you, jfm, and it sounds as though you might be even further removed from the dancing scene than I am. We always have "choices," some are more acceptable than others. I could have let my husband move without me, but that wouldn't be a viable choice in light of my commitment to him. On the other hand, he could have turned down this job and hoped that another in a more acceptable location would come along.

As for replacing this addiction with another one, I've thought about that. But it's really hard to let go.