Tango Argentino > What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Zoopsia59, Jun 29, 2008.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced. There must be better ways to make other people miserable.

2. Taniquel

Taniquel New Member

Or, when used to men asking women, a woman may think that if a man doesn't ask, it is because he'd rather not dance with her...

Ah! Assuming... Another great way to make ourselves and others miserable... ;)

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Um...yup...that's pretty much exactly what I think. I'll ask friends I know, but I don't feel right imposing on others. Especially not if they're better than me. Which is pretty much everyone. If a better dancer wants to take the chance on a tanda with me, I'm thrilled. But if he doesn't want to dance with me to begin with, I don't want to be his charity dance for the evening.

After all...if he'd wanted to dance with me, he would have asked.

4. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your responses. I have been very busy at work this week, and had an appt last night in the evening. So I haven't been able to respond although I've been trying to find a minute hear and there to read what everyone has written

More later...
    Thanks
    zoop

5. Zoopsia59

Or, if a woman sees that the guy doesn't hesitate to ask a variety of women both above and below her level to dance, but he doesn't ask her, she would assume he isn't interested in dancing with her

6. Zoopsia59

So... some things have been brewing since I started this thread, but I wanted to see how it would all shake out before posting updates.

I approached someone from the studio (the woman who took the class I subbed for and was so enthusiastic) and asked her whether she thought it would be a hard sell to the owner for me to teach something during the time the "2nd" teacher was going to be absent.

It turns out the owner is very excited about having me teach during that temporarily free night, especialy when I related my ideas about WHAT I wanted to teach, and how it would be different from classes I'd seen and taken in the area (other than my partner's)I also talked to her about my Follower's Bootcamp idea as limited series (instead of a long "one time" thing on a weekend) I also expressed that I knew that doing only a follower's thing might not work out for the studio (elimiates 1/2 the potential clients right off the bat).

She loved all my thoughts, and I am on the schedule until the other teacher returns for a fundamentals of technique and styling class. After that, we'll play it by ear filling in the other teacher's times away (which supposedly will be frequent in the fall) with continuations of my thing. Or if attendance suggests it, she will have my class in the slot before the other 2 classes. Maybe at some point in the fall or winter, we'll schedule the weekend Folllower's Bootcamp workshop. (I am co-opting the RedStilletoCamp name.. that was brilliant!)

I was left a bit confused by it all, because it seemed obvious to me that all she ever had to do was ASK us to teach and we would, but the relationship I had with her felt so prickly up to now. So why was it all so stressful to get going? Doesn't matter now. She's enthusiastic and committed to giving this technique class time to build and I'm.... well, now I'm terrified. What have I gotten myself into? But no risk, no growth right?

My partner will hopefully be available if I get in over my head alone. I still don't lead at an advanced level, so my ability to teach leaders is limited by that. (hence, the follower's bootcamp idea... there's so much further that I can take them and most of the interest I've had from anyone has come from women, not the guys). This will be the first time I've tried to teach where the class is listed as MY class, dependent on MY reputation and success. Yikes! But you've gotta start somewhere, and I hope I can live up to the hype I've put myself under.

I think Heather was right about this one... you gotta just wait and see what the Universe brings you in place of that thing you grabbed for with such intensity. Like they say, "There's nothing worse than an idea when its the only one you have"

And what's the worst that can happen? I'll fall flat on my cocky butt and have to slink away never to dance tango in this town again... But if that happens, I'll bet that if I just say "I got in over my head, and I wasn't really as ready as I thought", they'll respect me more for that, right? (or at least anyone whose respect I would care about would respond that way)

7. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Hey Zoops - glad it's worked out! You've just got to go for it, now - and not worry - am sure you won't fall flat on your butt!

Glad you like the Red Stilletto Camp name - you'll have to post a photo of your flyer!!

:cheers:

8. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

...and thanks for letting me know.:bouncy:

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Good luck teaching Zoopsia, I'm sure you'll be fine.

There are plenty of fine dancers who havn't a clue about teaching what they do, so you have the advantage of least having what you have learnt and how you learned it fresh in your mind.

10. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

You'll do great!!! I just hope you'll remember us "little people" once you are rich and famous.

:cool:

11. Zoopsia59

Bwa Ha Ha!!!

I dont' know which is funnier about that... the idea of me being rich and famous, or the idea of the great people here being the "little people"

12. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

Everyone gets caught out by the anti-spamming settings of the forum. New members are not allowed to create new topics particularly if they contain links to other web sites. Sadly, the forum moderators do not seem to be involved in this blocking process. You ought to be ok after responding to a couple of threads.

13. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

After you've made some number of posts (I'm not sure what the number is), then it will allow you to do everything. Until then, I think posts with links and possibly new threads will say they need MOD approval, but the MODs never look at them.

In any case, welcome to the forum. I enjoy your posts over at Tango-L (and I can't say that for much of the drivel on that forum).

:p