General Dance Discussion > What Would You Tell Beginners?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 7, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's a good outlook on this topic Chris! I hadn't really thought of it that way. It gives me something to think about! Thanks! ;)

2. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh yes that is a good point lol! :p

3. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

We stick with the Jive Chasse basic and do not do the flick basic. That is what most people do in this area. That is much less strenuous. Young people in this area, really like doing Jive, using only the chasse basic.

Competitors do primarily the flick basic, which is a lot of work.

4. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

I agree with your comments. Even in Waltz and Foxtrot, if you are taking close to full sized steps, what you said about floorcraft, following and leading
    are critical to dancing safely and enjoying the dance.

I could understand if the teacher had said wait until your leading, following and floor craft has improved, rather than just saying they are to dangerous.

We did not start Viennese until we had danced for over a year and our Waltz/Foxtrot was moving like it is suppose to and our lead/follow/floorcraft were ready for it. Our teachers would work with us on anything, provided we were ready for it. If they said no to something, they would give us a reasonable reason.

5. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

Oh, I've danced Jive with quite a lot of people in clubs before (well if there is sufficient space, obviously), oops.

6. Dots

Dots Active Member

My advice to a beginner: relax, smile and have fun!

And later, when he's progressing: good job! Now start taking notes; you'll appreciate it later :p

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

beginner in pro am ballroom....as follows;

your pro is not your friend...friendly is not your friend...remember it

you are the customer....your teacher deserves your respect (or get a new one) and you deserve theirs (or get a new one)

beware the studio that won't let you pay for one lesson at a time

beware the studio that blows smoke up your butt regularly

understand that you cannot get better without having to conquer many of your personal demons and that you will have to feel uncomfortable, awkward, and stupid in order to get there

you will not get very far if you do not practice alone...if you don't know how to do that, ask...if you get insufficient information, run.

always choose quality over quantity when it comes to lessons

you will feel like quitting often...get used to it and get over it

results at competitions are very complicated in terms of what they mean....eventually you will get good enough and familiar enough with the system to know what they mean...before that, find people you can trust to give you perspective

dance progress is not like fast food, if you are into instant gratification you will struggle

trust yourself, respect yourself, know what you want, know what you can spend, don't think about your regrets and disadvantages, commit fully.

8. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

To an aboslutely beginner...Stop Apologizing!!

No one expects you to be perfect right off the bat (or even much later on for that matter), so stop apologizing when you make mistakes and instead ask yourself what you can learn from them.

danceronice, Chr0n and pygmalion like this.
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

In dance, as in most worthwhile endeavors, progress is often very non-linear.

Gorme and pygmalion like this.
  10. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Dancing is a skill that requires time and practice to learn. You will not be good overnight, so let it go and enjoy the process. Put in some effort, and you will have a fun hobby to enjoy and be proud of.

Gorme likes this.
  11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread, Chr0n. There's some really good advice here. :)

12. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

Oh, I didn't even realize that the thread was from 2006 until you pointed it out *blush*.

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

No blush needed, IMO. That's the nice thing about new DF members. You bring new life to old conversations. Very cool. :)

14. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

We also prefer resurrecting old ones to having 10 conversations about the same thing.

15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Never compare yourself to others... everyone has their own journey and their own level of progress, and their own resources, backgrounds and experiences. I remember when I was starting I was always surprised to meet someone who seemed to "catch on right away" or was "naturally talented", only to find out that they were dance majors in college,or professional dancers in their early adult years, or danced for ten years with a previous pro, or could afford lots of lessons and coachings....... just compare yourself to yourself.

Gorme, Debra and cornutt like this.
  16. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

For competitive dancers:

1. Practice like ten times more than you think you need.
    2. Seek the best coaching available, not the easiest available.
    3. Chill out. At the end of the day, it's a ballroom competition. Don't take to too seriously, at least until the upper levels.

17. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

Solid advice, even though I'm really struggling with these two points at the moment.
    Just because a) we don't have a studio on campus and you can't just use rooms (we don't even have mirrors -.-). So am currently practice outside / in a small common room with carpet (both of which aren't ideal).
    b) because there's literally only one studio in this town and while he is alright for Latin I don't want to take privates with him for ballroom (being a student and not having a car doesn't help either)

/rant over (sorry :p)

18. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

Figure out why you want to dance and never forget it.

19. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

For a rank newbie whose exposure to ballroom dancing may be limited to watching DWTS where every dance looks like every other dance because the performance is so heavily choreographed, real ballroom dancing can be rather intimidating.

I think a lot of mileage can be gotten out of simply watching and trying to get a sense of what's going on. If you can't figure out what's going on from watching, find someone more experienced who is willing to answer questions to ease your transitions over the hurdles.

20. It's me.

It's me. Member

Why not?