General Dance Discussion > What Would You Tell Beginners?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 7, 2006.

1. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you read a few of the threads about crushes on teacher. It ends badly more often than not.

It's me. likes this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

let's not even go there...see the thread that was started and the response:rolleyes:...plus, it definitely doesn't belong on this thread

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

take it to the thread you started...this one is not about your issue

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

LOL! And then some. Troll, troll, troll, troll...

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

:)

6. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Lots of great stuff in this thread. Esp advice about carefully assessing the true nature of relationships, and balancing friendliness with your role as the consumer/customer.

1. Start going to practice party early, and often. Forget "I don't know how to do that yet" or "waiting until I'm good enough". That's never going to happen if you keep avoiding it. And unless you are genuinely injured/ill/indisposed/desperately need a break, or have a legitimate reason (i.e. *not* just fear of the unknown, making a fool of yourself, being judged, making a mistake, etc.), do not turn down an offer for a dance. I'm talking to the gentlemen too here. If all you do is take lessons and you don't use/practice it somewhere else, you are wasting your money.

2. Looking back... try each event once (Showcase, Classic/Mini-Match, Trophy/Medal Ball, etc), even just a taste (one performance, a few heats, etc). If you don't like it, then you've done it and you can say so. But don't close off a bunch of options early when you haven't even given them a shot.

MaggieMoves and twnkltoz like this.
  7. LPDTMovement

LPDTMovement New Member

Have fun and be you. PERIOD