Dancers Anonymous > Whatcha listening to right now?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Oct 19, 2005.

1. folkfiddle

folkfiddle New Member

Listening to...

Right now I'm listening to an old time band called the "Boiled Buzzards!" Haha... what a name! They have some great tunes.. interesting sound. After that I'm going to put on Alasdair Fraser's "Dawn Dance." He's a wonderful fiddler! His tune "Laughing Wolf" is a favorite.... hope to play it one day.

2. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Con tu Movimiento - Edwin Bonilla
    Just because I don't do salsa anymore doens't mean I'm not crazy about the music...;)

Twilight Elena

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

An Ygnwie Malmsteen cover of Abba's "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme." Great fun. :)

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Sam Cooke -- The Man and His Music. Oh my goodness, he was a genius. He died before I was born but, thanks to my Mom, I heard his music all through my growing-up years.

He was amazing in the way he bridged African-American gospel, R&B (back when rhythm and blues meant something,) swing and pop music. Wow. I'm having a good time from Touch the Hem of His Garment to Everybody Loves to Cha Cha Cha to A Change is Gonna Come.

What a pity he's no longer with us. Apparently, based on a biography about him that's due out soon, he had some strong community outreach, music and movie projects planned when he died. What a pity that he died the way he did.

But still, I love his music. Gotta go give a listen to Bring It On Home to Me. :wink: :D

5. pygmalion

Al Jarreau's Get My Boogie Down. It works for at least Cha cha and WCS, as I've discovered. :wink: Let me go see what else it works for.

(Sorry. You caught me on a music-listening evening. :lol: )

6. pygmalion

Patti Labelle's Lady Marmalade. (Actually I think she was recording under the group name Labelle then.) Pink, Christina Aguillera and the other girls who recorded the Moulin Rouge version just need to forget it, IMO. There's only one Patti, and if you've seen her in concert you'll know what I mean. :wink: Voulez-vous couchez avec moi doesn't mean quite the same, coming out of non-Patti lips. She rocks. :rocker: :)

7. pygmalion

Grover Washington Junior's Soulful Strut. Darn. I wish I could die as he did. 56 years old. Died suddenly of a heart attack after a recording/jam session, doing what he loved and in the prime of his life.

8. pygmalion

Najee (saxophonist) featuring Freddie Jackson (vocalist) All I'll Ever Ask. OMG. This was "our" song, a long time ago.

Jeesh. Now I'm singing and trying not to cry. Romance. :?

9. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Sam Cooke was one of the greats. "Stand by Me" is one of my favourites of all time.

Rosa :)

10. pygmalion

Yes. Sam Cooke was one of the greats, IMO. :D

Right now, I'm listening to Sarah McLaughlin, Angel. What the heck. I'm in a pensive and morose mood, anyway, so why not?

Upbeat music is next. :wink: :lol:

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

luther vandross christmas...and josh groban....

12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Not listening to anything right now, but earlier I went to work out and while I rode the bike, I listened to Philip Glass' Concerto for Tympani. Great, dynamic stuff! I still last year, when our local orchestra played it, the conductor explained the first movement (which is in 5/4 time) to an audience member as "It's sort of like the theme to Mission Impossible..." :D

Friday, while driving back from Atlanta, I had the XM '60s channel on for a while. Big nostalgia trip there; I knew most of what they played (Cream's "White Room", The Byrds' "Eight Miles High", The Beatles "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", etc.). However, one that surprised me was The Grass Roots' "Bella Linda". I didn't remember that one at all! And the odd thing was, it didn't sound like "Midnight Confessions" or "Temptation Eyes" or any of the other Grass Roots hits; the singer had a bit of a British accent, the song had some 6/8 breaks and all these string arrangements and things. No horns. This one got by me. Google confirms that it was released in 1969, but no other info. Now I'm curious as to what the story behind this song is.

13. fascination

we like franks' place on XM and the 70s channel:rolleyes: I know , I know, but we were kids then

14. pygmalion

Frank's place? :shock: :(

15. fascination

sinatra

16. pygmalion

Oh. I know Frank's place. I just prefer Ngoma or the salsa stations -- a few up the dial from good old Frank. :cool:

17. fascination

we like ngoma too

18. Just listening to a Spanish Guitarist "Ronnie Benise" on a TV special (Spanish Nights) on PBS (Public TV) Some fantastic dancing too. First time hearing/seeing him. Pretty good stuff.

Anyone hear of him?

19. brujo

brujo New Member

Slayer - Raining blood. Nothing like good old Xmas music to cheer up the house

20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

'70s pop doesn't do a lot for me, for some reason. 1971 was the year I discovered progressive rock, and I was lost in 19/8 time for the rest of the decade. ;) Actually, of the "decades" channels, the ones I've enjoyed the most are the ones from before I was born -- the '50s and '40s channels. I've got a bit of a historian streak, and stuff that happened before I was born fascinates me for some reason.