Tango Argentino > Whats the best way not to forget combinations?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by wadpro, Oct 4, 2009.

1. wadpro

wadpro Member

As you know there are hundreds of figures and combinations and its almost impossible to remember all the combinations we have learnt.

In the past, I used to write the combination I learnt day by day on a noteook but I gave up because sometimes its very difficult to describe the combination by writing...Then I started to shoot video of the combination after the class but its not easy to carry camcorder everytime?

What do you suggest? Whats the best way to remember combinations?

By the way, is there any source on the internet for list of tango figures and combinations?

2. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Try to make and remember all combinations in chess and bridge :cool:

Learn technique and later apply it to the music.
    And when you know technique improvise. :mrgreen:

3. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

Lets see …. Left 3…………… right 27………….left 9 no that’s not right
    left 9 right 27 left 3….no
    Right 3 left 19….. right 27…..No that’s not it either…..I can’t for the life of me remember the combination…damn

4. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

The best way to not forget combinations is to not memorize them in the first place.

Make sure you understand the principles behind why the elements of the combination work and the mechanics of each part of the combination. Then you will be able to put together combinations yourself based on "site conditions" when you dance.

5. BlueSkies

BlueSkies New Member

As others have said, perhaps the best bet is not to try, since AT is danced as an improvisation step by step, over time you build the basic vocabulary that will make memory of combinations meaningless.

However, it can be useful to write down a sequence at times (for example when describing what was covered in a class if you take notes about your classes). For this, there are various notations I believe - you might like to google Rasche Notation as a possibility.

Blue

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi wadpro, welcome here at DF!

1) Keep on writing the combinations down! You have to invent your own system of abbreviations. That traines to analyze the movement, too. Repeat the combinations at the bus stop, then, and on the underground platform...... At the moment your notes still are long and detailed. Later on you will only clip the variations. And, find categories: opening sequences, into back8s, out of back8s on the right side, out of back8s on the left side, steps in crossed system, .... aso

2) Find the moves on YT. Track the vid down and extract the special sequence. Convert it to .3gp or any other suitable format and put it on your mobile.

7. Lui

Lui Active Member

I never found a written system that worked for me. Now, I use a small photo camera with a video caption feature. It’s a Canon IXUS 850 IS, has the size of a cigarette box , file transfer via usb and the video quality isn’t worse than any budget camcorder. I bought it 3 years ago, so there will be many even better and smaller cameras on the market. If you don’t need more then 20 min. to tape, it might be the way to go. Perhaps you can even persuade your teacher to give a small demonstration at the end of class.

However, the best way to remember your combinations is to use them.

8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

There's two underlying points here:
    1. Tango's not about combinations
    Tango is fundamentally a dance with only 4 steps (forwards / backwards, sidestep left, sidestep right and pivot). That's pretty much it. Get those right first, don't worry about combinations.

2. That said...
    We can get too snooty and purist here. Combinations can help understand different ways of movement, and they can give you ideas as to how you can move in some ways. But you should focus on technique much more than on writing down strings of moves.

Thousands I imagine :D

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

One teacher said that in the first eight steps there Factorial 8 possibilities which is 40,320. (i can only remember the first 39 thousand; the others escape me. so i wouldnt worry about it)

10. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

See DB's response below...the BEST advice thus far:

But I imagine your question will remain/or the advice go unheeded...and so I'll add: out of the 100 or so that you learn in your tango life...choose just four to six on which to focus/practice/use/perfect. (Before then creating your own) And DON'T write things down. (A man's curse I know). The milonga is not a place of academia and any good follower will know when you're thinking about the dance rather than feeling it.

11. ant

ant Member

How true have I found these words.

When I am concentrating on the images in my mind caused by the music and tryng to convey them to my partner and then feeling her response, I never seem to have a problem.

The moment I try to slip in a sequnece I learned recently I feel the connection ebbing away immediately.

12. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Now that we know each other...hey.;) The music/atmosphere yesterday was simply the best wasn't it?

13. ant

ant Member

I agree, it is the one date each week I try to get to.

The lessons are always very helpful, the Milonga afterwards is very friendly and the seedy/sleazy feel of the place is just great. I can't think of a bettter way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

......and I always love dancing with your friend.

Hope to see you both there again soon.

PS I keep trying to get Dave Bailey to come so lets start convincing him together.

14. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

A butterfly flapped its wings ... is this Chaos theory? :)

15. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

I find it easy to remember combinations when I'm not interrupted :tongue:

16. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

The best way not to forget tango combinations is not to remember them at all. :banana:

17. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Of course! :)

Well.... except that I forget stuff if I don't write it down.

Sure, I have no problem with "Don't laboriously record each step in a 20-step sequence" as advice.

But I think it's a good idea in general - for me anyhow - to take notes from a class, even if it's only a couple of lines: "Hold your head up", "pivot thenstep", that sort of thing.

18. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I'm not going Darn Sarf, it's dangerous over there.

19. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

is that where all the smog and chimneys are? :lol:

By the way, up north it's a barmcake not a roll! ;) :tongue:

20. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Then why do we go to lessons? ;)

The best way not to forget tango combinations : date the teacher :p (is there in fact any other way?)