Tango Argentino > What's the One thing to be sure to do?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by dchester, Jun 11, 2009.

1. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Well, I'm making the trek to Buenos Aries in July with some friends (and of course, the wife). I might not be ready yet, but I'm going anyways. I can only stay for a week (as that work thing keeps complicating my life).

We already have some classes scheduled with DNI Tango during that week, (I hope they are good). Since I won't be able to do everything I'd like in this trip, I'm soliciting some advice from people who have been there, on what they think is the "One" thing (or event, teacher, etc) that I should be sure to do, see, or partake in.

I just hope Buenos Aires is ready for me.

[​IMG]

2. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

God never mind the tango!! ;)

- Eat some good steaks and wonderful icecream (to die for)
    - Cafe Tortoni or La Violetta for tea
    - Visit Plaza de Mayo/ do the City Tour
    - Watch football there (huh good luck getting a ticket though ;) )

Also have a look at SallyCat's e-Book for other great ideas (www.sallycatway.com)

OK .... well I'd still recommend doing the following tango tourist things too ...

- Visit Confiteria Ideal and buy shoes on Suipacha
    - See the mural at Salon Canning and dance there
    - Go to a "classic" tango venue to see what it's like (Lo de Celia, Maipu 444 etc)
    - Feel old at a nuevo venue eg Villa Malcolm : personally Id recommend popping in to or from one of the great eateries in Palermo district (minimises the feeling ;) )
    - Go out all night and end up at La Viruta's for breakfast and tango at 5 (or was it 6?)

3. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

oops sorry you did say one thing didnt you?! Oops.....

4. Me

Me New Member

The one thing to be sure to do is to take your wife shoe shopping. ;)

5. dchester

:uplaugh:

Many is better than nothing.

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

send me a postcard,

7. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Go to a traditional milonga, not a touristic place, at least to watch. See how locals do tango.

(Why spend time on DNI if you have only one week? Tango nuevo classes attended by non argentinian students? no need to go to Buenso Aires, you can have that in the US, for sure).

8. dchester

Yeah, that's already on the list of things I have to do.

(I bet you can't guess who put it there)

:?

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Take me with you???

Enjoy: steaks (avoid chicken at all costs, IME), wonderful coffee, Malbec, PASTRIES!!!!, and the incredible real-tasting fruits and veggies. Definitely enjoy an empanada, and please have one for me.

Experience: Confiteria Ideal, shoe shopping with your wife in BsAs, riding the subway (heh!), and the huge craft fair thingy on...Sundays???...somewhere. Have some of the good cheap food people are selling. Revel in how different things are from where you live, in terms of how non-ridiculously-paranoid about sterility people are when it comes to food. (People will serve you without gloves, hairnets, face masks, HAZMAT suits, and decontamination units nearby.) Experience dining out.

Have fun wandering around the cemetery. The famous one. Don't remember the name. Not for chickie's tomb, necessarily, but the other family mausoleums are fascinating.

Oh yeah...tango stuff. There's that, too. ;-)

10. dchester

Yeah, I've already been asked that a few times. Basically, this group of people I know were planning this trip and that's what they had on the agenda. I will add that this place (and a couple teachers there in particular) are highly recommended by some very good dancers I know.

The bottom line was that I never thought my wife was going to say OK when I mentioned it to her. I've brought up the subject several times before and she always vetoed it with some lame excuse. This time, she surprised me by saying yes, so now we're going. It turns out that she wanted to go with a group rather than by ourselves.

While nuevo stuff really isn't my main interest, I'm going to make the best out of it (it's a vacation after all). Also, my wife says that she doesn't like to limit herself to just one style. I'll sometimes try to do some of the nuevo "open embrace moves" in a salon "close embrace".

The good news is that it does get me out of a different trip that I wasn't too keen on anyways.

:cool:

11. Lilly_of_the_valley

Well, have fun, then. You will surely meet a lot of friendly, enthusiastic, English speaking tango people from all over the world there, and that can be a very nice experience.

12. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

what to do in BaAs ?

The cemetery is "Recoleta" just outside the Central district visit Eva Paron’s mausoleum.

The craft fair in "San Telmo" with its Tango performers and music.
    Don't miss "La Boca" with it's colorful buildings and crafts.

Eat the best steak at "The Estancia" restaurant on Lavalle street (one of the walking only streets it intersects with Florida street the other pedestrian only street.

Take as many lessons as you can from Oscar Casas at El Beso
    daily group lessons from 1:00 – 3:00 You will thank me for the referal.

Have fun

13. Peaches

Recoleta. Yes, that's the one, thank you.

(I swear, I think at least half of my pics from BsAs--wherever they are, currently--are from the cemetery. Maybe I'm just morbid like that.)

And yep, it's the San Telmo craft fair I was thinking of. Although there's also another huge outdoor one...somewhere else. A huge grass field/hill place. (Aren't I helpful?)

14. Lilly_of_the_valley

There is also Feria de Recoleta (in front of the abovementioned famous cemetery) on Saturdays. I found it more interesting for crafts and local souvenirs. Feria de San Telmo has more of antique stuff that is fun to look at but can get very expensive.

15. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Dont know the huge grass field place . San Telmo is good for posh antiques but there are a couple of massive flea markets in Palermo too (which I suspect is where some of the market traders in San Telmo get their stuff from)

Im not sure its worth being serious about getting in the lessons with just a week to spend. I would just go and sample some of the possible classes/venues and get an idea of where to go next time. Hopefully DC there will be a next time .... :)

Have a great vacation whatever you end up doing!

16. larrynla

larrynla Member

weather

About the only bad time weather-wise to go to Buenos Aires is in mid-summer: January and February. Mid-winter, when you're going, is sunny and cool.

(The hi-lo temps for July are 58-46 according to this year-long graph of temp/precip from weather.com.)

Yeah, you!

Laer Carroll

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  17. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

18. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Well, just because no one's mentioned it yet, The Japanese Garden.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.. there's nothing "BA" about it, but I really liked it

Go to Recoleta Cemetary and count cats.
    There are also some other parks where cat counting can pass an afternoon, but the ones in Recoleta are scarier looking.. I think the dead have possessed them. You can play games like "Can I get more Mausoleums than cats in this photo" and vice versa. The cats that seem to be guarding the entrance to a mausoleum are especially intriguing.

I couldn't tell you how to get there, but there is a small park with amazing Gomero trees in it. I think its in the vicinity of the cematary, in front of a museum. If you haven't ever seen Gomero, its worth a look. They have no trunks. There's just a short span between the gigantic above ground roots and the start of branching. And when I say "gigantic" roots, I mean almost as tall as me at the highest parts. They form corridors.

Teatro Colon. Try to go to a concert. Rivals any of the best opera houses in the world for acoustic quality.
    Yes, even Boston Symphony Hall.

19. Peaches

Oh yeah, I forgot about the cats!!! So many great cat-watching/counting opportunities.

20. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

You mean - like this one? :cool: (in La Recoleta)

DSCN0952.jpg