Tango Argentino > What's the One thing to be sure to do?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by dchester, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Keep singing the song from Annie Get Your Gun from the mo. you step off the plane. A wonderfully effective mantra. Hum it now.....you see. Works every time. Enjoy your hols:p

2. Temza

Temza Member

The stake is what I miss most about BA (after the porteno embrace). If you like your steak medium-rare, on the rare side, it's called jugoso (in the line of options: muy jugoso - jugoso- a punto - pasado de punto).
    Lucky you! Enjoy and I hope you will share your travel notes with the forum

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the tip on the steak. I do like them juicy.

Out of curiosity, is there a teacher there you would recommend that could help me learn about the porteno embrace?

4. dchester

I was up for taking you, but for whatever reason my wife says no. Sometimes, I don't understand her. I gave it a try though.

5. dchester

I was looking into this, as I've seen several of his videos on youtube. Of course as luck would have it, he's scheduled to be in Chicago during that week.

:headwall:

6. Temza

Temza Member

If it were only one teacher I had to choose, this would be Graciela Gonzalez. I would recommend her to both men and women. She will be able give you advice both on how your embrace feels and how it looks.

7. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Graciela Gonzalez might be still on a trip right now... last week she was in Russia :)
    In an earlier thread, I gave my recommendations of people who are real milongueros, excellent teachers, speak English and teach dancing in close embrace.

Enriqueta Kleinman. http://web.archive.org/web/20101013040602/http://www.enriquetak.com/home2.htm
    Maria Olivera and Gustavo Besencry Saba. http://www.tangosalon.com.ar/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  8. bastet

bastet Active Member

I have heard good things about both of them from someone who went to the Chicago festival.

Maria and Gustavo will be traveling some in the fall. They will be at Tango Fest in October up in Portland, and I think also back to Chicago later in the year (maybe right after Tango Fest).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2017
  9. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Yes, and Enriqueta will be back in the US, too. I am looking forward to seeing them all again.

10. dchester

I've never had a class with Enriqueta, but I have with Maria & Gustavo (and they are excellent). I'll have to send them an email to see if they'll be back in BsAs while I'm there.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  11. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Remain in the touristic streets. Do not explore. Do not even walk.The streets are dark, you cannot breathe because of the cars, and the pavement very dirty because of the dogs. Go to the main milongas, one different each night, use taxis that will pick you just in front of your hotel and leave you just in front of the milonga. Keep it a dream trip.

12. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

dream trip

You sound like a typical tourist who want's to close your eyes to the beauty of BsAs.
    Walk the streets day and night take in as many sites and sounds as you can. The air is breathable (just like in Munich) and yes there are dogs and poop on the sidewalk (just like in Paris) The people are friendly and love tourist (not like in Paris) And there are the occasional transients (just like in LA)
    So act like a tourist and have fun.
    PS there are less pick pockets than there are in Naples Italy.

13. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I guess that means you can't take me either.

What if you take me AND Peaches, and she and I pretend to be a couple? Would that be ok with your wife?

14. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah... forgot about the dogs.

Forget your tango training when you are walking downt he street and LOOK DOWN! (This will also give you the chance to enjoy the variety of sidewalk paving stones used. Although not as breathaking as the doors of the city, the paving stones are interesting sometimes too.

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oooh!!! Good idea! (So long as you lead, cuz I can't.)

16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I've got to disagree a bit.

Yes, there is dog poo on the sidewalks. *shrug* No different than Italy, from what I saw. Just watch where you walk.

Yes, there are a lot of cars and a lot of congestion. *shrug* It's a city, not much to be done about it.

There are pickpockets, but that's no different than what I found in Italy. Use common sense, don't flash cash/valuables, and don't carry things in such a way that you leave yourself open to trouble. Be on your guard just a smidge and you'll be OK.

The streets are fine. It's a city, so of course there are good areas, not so good areas, and bad areas. Wander freely during the day, be a bit more careful at night, and you'll be fine. I went wandering a not-quite-all hours of the day and night when I was there, both alone and with my travel companions (two other girls), and I never felt nervous. Ever. I was aware, sure, but that's no different than New York or DC or Rome. In fact, I've felt much more wary here in DC than I did in BsAs. (We were staying in the Corrientes & Callao area--not top notch, but not bad, for reference.)

IMO, it all comes down to being a smart and aware tourist. Don't be stupid and you'll be OK. Er...don't look stupid. As with so much else, project an air of knowing just what you're doing and just where you are, and woe betide anyone who screws with you, and you'll be OK.

FWIW, IIRC, crime tends to be comparatively non-violent. That may have changed, but what I remember seeing/reading is that even if you're pickpocketed, you're not likely to be threatened with violence. Compared to around here where I know plenty of people who have been held up at knifepoint or gunpoint or worse, pickpocketing isn't a big deal.