What's the sexiest dance?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Feb 2, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Ok, I know this is going to cause debate and I'm probably going to be flogged at dawn, but what do you consider the sexiest dance?

To me, it is unquestionably the Argentine Tango, moreso than the Rumba (kids' stuff) :).

I was at a milonga on the weekend and there was this AMAZING show and, having downloaded several AT videos that actually made me blush (I'm not kidding, they were seriously, seriously sexy), I gotta say, I've never seen or felt a dance sexier, including salsa, which I adore and always considered kinda flirty.

Ok, who's the first to fire? :)

2. jon

jon Member

Dances aren't sexy. Dancers can be, in pretty much any dance. I wouldn't go any further than saying that in a broad sense, slower music lends itself more readily to dancers projecting "sexiness", and that any "sexiness" in other people's dancing is a highly subjective personal judgement in any case.

3. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

While I understand and appreciate your point, Jon, even the sexiest person doing a cheeky cha cha or someone innately sexy doing a line dance doesn't quite project the air I'm talking about.

Admittedly there are some pretty average Argentine Tangos, but, equally there are some mind-bogglingly fabulous, sexy ones too. Fans of Forever Tango will no doubt agree.

You're right about what's considered sexy to one person not necessarily having the same effect on another, but c'mon...some things are unequivocally sexy :lol: !

4. jon

jon Member

I'm not seeing how this connects to the topic at hand. What you were originally asking was what dance was the sexiest. No matter the answer, surely there are plenty of un-sexy instances of any dance form as well.

5. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Regardless of a dancer's "sexiness" or lack thereof, what would you consider the sexiest dance, Jon? The one dance that even the unsexiest person might do with a degree of appeal and not be able to help it?

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

The Lambada, but that's seldom done anymore as far as I know.

7. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hmmm...actually, Spitfire, have a look at this link to Zouk, a new millennium version of the lambada! :)

8. jon

jon Member

I do not believe there is a meaningful answer to the question as phrased. Just as with "intelligence" (re which I recommend Gould's The Mismeasure of Man), attempts to reduce a complex multidimensional quantity like "sexiness" to a single number are likely to reveal more about the biases of the person performing the measurement than the thing being measured.

Personally I find it easiest to dance sensually in WCS and Blues dancing, but that's simply a matter of what I'm familiar with and what sort of music I connect with. If I focused more on ballroom dancing I suspect the answer would be Bolero. If I didn't find pop music so cheesy it might well be NC2S. Etc.

9. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

I'd have to say West Coast Swing, Hustle and Rhumba

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Sexy or sensual? I can't help this!! To me they are different. I find that what makes the dance sensual is the music. Slower music as it allows more time for expression that can be observed by others. I would say the rhumba is sensual.

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

sexiest dance?

although he does nothing for me, I know women who drool over Joaquin Cortes, the impressive Flamenco dancer.

Once you get past mere admiration of the body its then a case of how its being used. Salsa is too bouncy to be really sexy. Its like saying sex is fun.

Its not. Real sex is about passion, passion that is barely under control, simmerring and sultry, (like when the Borg Queen blows on Data's square inch of skin) alluring yet potentially devastating. At has the potential for these qualities. Flamenco has the firery side of it.

12. redhead

redhead New Member

paso doble :wink:

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I agree jon, good book!

bordertangoman... salsa is bouncy??? :shock: :?

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This is a great topic. Not that I'm actually going to answer the question LOL. But sexy? Hmm. I guess it depends.

To me, sexy has many different facets, depending on who's involved, when, where moods, etc. Sexy can be angry, playful, silly, fun, searing, slow and sensual, blatant, subtle, you name it. Sex is in the mind long before it's in the body (at least for me LOL), and it can take any form my mind comes up with, and that's a lot of forms.

So in that sense, I guess any dance has the potential to be a sexy dance, depending. I'm still thinking about this, though. Will post more later. 9:00 AM sitting at the computer terminal is not my preferred time or place to be thinking sexy. :lol: :lol:

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey wait a second. I was just getting ready to vote for bolero, when I realized this was in the Argentine tango forum. Hmm. What to do?

I guess I'll have to vote for both dances, then. Bolero, when done well (which it often isn't), is a tres sexy dance. Lots of hints, and some smoldering sexuality. And all that into and out of body contact is way cool.

But, if you're giong for the blistering hot stuff, I guess Argentine tango is a good candidate. *shrug* Oh the price we pay for diplomacy! :lol:

16. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Jenn, forget diplomacy...it was a general question...I just figured that AT people might understand what I meant about finding the AT incredibly sexy!

So, c'mon...'fess up! :)

17. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

What, no salseros or samba fiends wanting to weigh in?

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Re: sexiest dance?

I can dance salsa without any bounce, with pauses, without the basic step at some times. The dance is what you make of it. :wink: :)

19. Sabor

Sabor New Member

the sexiest dance?.. well.. that'll depend on what the sexiest dancer is dancing .. que no?

personally, dancing without being sexy is inconcievable to me :wink:

20. shakti

shakti New Member

Salsa can be sexy.

I agree with Sagitta, I have experienced a very smooth and sensual salsa dancer with one particular man. It was beautiful. At times he would interject some subtle brushing touches with his body or hand or a move that pulled you decively in close with a pause and direct eye contact. Wow

I am begin to become curious about AT. From the descriptions I have read it sounds great, and that is an understatement.