Swing Discussion Boards > What's this move?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Boynextdoor, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

Don't know technical terms, but...

The girl grabs my right arm with her right arm. I spin her under so it's really awkward. Still holding eachother's arm, I walk in a small circle, and she goes in a larger one kind of around me, eventually getting to the floor. I spin her there, by her arm, like Morticia Adams, once. At the end, with the momentum, she gets up. Reminds me of a compass.

Any help?

2. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

There are probably a number of names for it, but we've always called it a "Floor-Spin."

3. Dave

Dave New Member

I'd call it a floorsweeper.

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

can do a similar move in place spinning folower down and up. Done in salsa...called blender?

5. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

Hm... I likes me the sounds of them names...

Blenders sound cool.

Thanks.

6. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

Okay! I got another one!

You start out with the girl on your right side, step with your right foot a bit in front of her, kind of work her around your body into a dip... Only your holding her... Wuzzat?

And is there a name for when you go from that fancy dipish thing and swing her around the other way over your back?

7. luh

luh Active Member

don't know that move, - you have to get used to that in swing there are a lot of things that are done, and most of them don't have a name. There are really few moves that really have names, - like armbreaker(texas tommy), lindy circle, swingout, under arm pass, and a few more.
    most names are scene dependent and the name won't help you when you are in another scene. Most important - have fun and be able to lead your stuff - than the names won't bother you anymore. Another thing might be - maybe a way of thinking - in the beginning, you might have the thinking about names, and moves - but later on, you'll start dancing to the music, which makes you sometimes make crazy badass stuff, where it's not important anymore that you do moves, but fill out the music - moves will come and go with the music, not worrieing anymore about the names anymore, and keeping moves in mind.

though - i don't want to discourage you. but to me the most important in lidny hop was, learning a lot of technique and musicality, these two things were essential.
    luh

8. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

I like how you talk.

9. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

10. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Being a magician I'm somewhat obsessed with finding out the names & origins of things (magicians had a sweet tradition of crediting everything that's not theirs in the community).
    I like to know things like, ok this move was first done by Frankie Manning, then I saw a variation by soandso in DC and twisted it up like this myself, renaming it "SuchandSuch" where the original move was called just the "Such." ;P

Then when I'm coming up with my own moves/aerials I named them so I can talk about them with my girl, by name.

-Diavo

11. luh

luh Active Member

that's a way - just name it, and try to spread the name. but as i experienced, self-created names work where there is one teacher - or between partners/friends.

but it won'thelp to find out a name. Even if i said the name was, turn-by-side-pass-spin.
    everyone else could say, that in there scene it has a different name.
    luh

12. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

Yeah, it's hard when you have to explain in detail what you do everytime. The dancing circles in my community are VERY small. there's a grown up one, and then there's us "kids". So, most likely, we'll know what we're talking about.

And I don't want to take credit for someone else's ideas. Neither do my friends.

I was thinking something snazzy for this move, like, the launch pad?... Comments?

13. luh

luh Active Member

take what ever you want to - if you want to name it.
    (i personally can't keep all moves in mind i did - as said above - they come and go with the music)

14. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

That's true, too. But I have a LOOOONG time before I get that good. It's like with anything else, you get to a certain point, it doesn't matter what you call it, you just do what feels right. Until then, it sure helps a lot!

15. luh

luh Active Member

maybe, yes.
    luh