Swing Discussion Boards > What's this move...?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by nx, Apr 26, 2010.

1. nx

nx New Member

When the leader has the girl's knees on his side, than throws her out and then back in between his legs. That's how I remember it, so it's approximate. I don't know what this is called but I'd like to learn it.

2. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Sounds like 2 moves; kneeling side car and slide or slash, however my advice is, and I really do not mean this in a belittling or condescending manner... if you do not know it well enough to remeber it, then you should probably not be learning it. Give yourself time. Lindy Hop is not all about the aerials. I have nasty memories of 2 students, at different places/times, who did not listen to me about this a few years ago, and sent their partners ( one only 16 yrs of age)to the hospital with severe concussions.

3. Apache

Apache Member

That sounds like a modified "Hip, Hip, Waist" with just using one knee instead of both. But seriously heed Angel's advice, aerials (even the ones that look deceptively simple) are extremely dangerous if done incorrectly.

4. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

NX:

speaking in general about aerials, i hope that you understand that while aerial moves are showy/flashy, they're also dangerous, not just for someone and their partner (especially if the partner has never done that particular figure before), but also for other people who may happen to be on the floor near them. showing off without regard for the safety of other dancers is one of the quickest ways to become persona non grata in a dance community.

i personally know a number of aerials/lifts/dips/drops, but that's because i used to do shows including film & TV. i never do aerials/lifts/drops and only certain dips while social dancing.

should you choose to persist, ignoring my trying to tell you that this is REALLY a bad idea, at the very least, PLEASE:
    1) learn aerials in a class setting where you are being supervised and have spotters to catch your partner should something go wrong;
    2) when you are out social dancing, never do an aerial/lift/dip/drop unless YOU ARE POSITIVE:
    - they know what you're leading and they've practiced it with you before;
    - you can not hurt anyone else around you on the floor;