Swing Discussion Boards > What's wrong with this?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Albanaich, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

2. slotmonkey

slotmonkey New Member

I'm hesitant to use the word "wrong" with a street dance, especially since "jitterbug" seems to encompass several different dances, but a few things come to mind:

- Upwards Pulse: Either that, or they're pulsing downwards before the downbeat instead of after. Lindy is pulsed downwards on or after the downbeat. Ballroom east coast is pulsed upwards, is that what this is?
    - Slotted: To my knowledge, hollywood lindy, west coast swing, and maybe 20s charleston are slotted, but this doesn't look like any of those. What is this dance? Is there a type of shag that looks like this?
    - No leverage: You don't see any stretch, leverage, tension, etc. There is no shared weight, no rock step, no anchor step.

I think that if you took all of the leverage/anchors out of early 1980s ballroom-style west coast swing, mixed it a little bit with merengue footwork, and then did sidepass variations almost exclusively, you would have something that looked like this.

3. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

What makes it fascinating is that the people dancing are clearly accomplished dancers. . . . .It's Swing as you would learn it from an instruction manual.

4. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

The woman's style sort of reminds me of hustle...very "up", weight forward. The guy is somewhat better, but both of them are dancing up, instead of grounded.

5. RickRS

RickRS Member

What? The guy isn't macho enough???

What? ;)

Well, there's the complete absent of anything call swing...

6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

No swing, no juice, no upper body movement, stepping like a polka dancer, no resistance, no following, no connection, no this, no that, no nothing but steps and pattern.

Now I know why my teacher wanted to hit me over the head with a chair during my most recent lesson. I was dancing like the woman in this clip! And I have the video of my lesson to prove it! <slinks away in shame>

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

they're so cute, tho

8. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

Yep they are cute. . . .and very good dancers. . . .but they have no conception of what 'Swing' is.

9. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

Well, she's starting her "swingout" on her left foot, for one thing. I'm also not sure it's taking 8 counts (sometimes looks more like 5, and sometime 7 or 9, but never really 8).
    If swing, salsa, and hustle had a baby with a woman who didn't believe in moving her ankles, this would be it. (How is it possible to dance without ever using the ankles?)

10. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Absolutely fascinating! :D

11. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with it.

It's their dance style.

It uses familiar forms, performed pseudo-improvisationally outside their familiar norms.

WC Swing figures using Merengue movement (with a good measure of EC Swing done in sliding Hustle style)---all done to a 4/4 piece with ChaCha sensibility---quite the melting pot.

If one looks at the construct, it is creative, actually, and if presented with a higher level skill and better music...

I bet that for them, ignorant of the barriers of conformity, the dance is just fine, thank you very much.

m

12. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Thank you, madmaximus.

I just wanted to add that Chinese Jitterbug doesn't seem to have any swing [as we usually recognize it] (it's just a name and doesn't mean that we have to classify it as a swing dance). Perhaps a similar dance exists as Korean Jitterbug.

In the future, I think it would be nice when posting videos for discussion, if we could try keep it balanced rather than leaning towards criticism from the onset. :)

13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

This is a typical style of swing dance in Korea. It is culturally correct for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.