General Dance Discussion > What's your dance fantasy?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Sep 29, 2010.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

To look at myself dancing in a dvd and realize that I have become "that dancer".... the one that I look at now at comps and think they are absolutely incredible.

ocean-daughter likes this.
  2. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

To be able to appreciate my body for all the things it can do, instead of dwelling on all the things it can't.

To progress from bronze through open and actually be competitive, to have my pro actually have to dance approaching his best to partner me.

To have the finances to compete as often as I want, afford the personal trainer to get me into better shape, and once there, the money to buy all the sparkely dresses I want...

Sigh...

3. tancos

tancos Active Member

To be able to do high-energy gypsy dances without approaching cardiac arrest.

4. mikeylikesit

mikeylikesit New Member

Everything Wannabee just said :)

5. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

just to dance. My dance fantasy is to dance till my body gives out, then teach till I can no longer demonstrate, then coach till I can no longer stand. Now if only I was brave enough to go for it. :(

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You're already doing it. Just keep dancing. *hug* :-D

7. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

OK, I posted this yesterday, I don't know why it's not up, so I'll try again:

Me and a buddy take our girls out dancing and drinking. Then we deliberately (and not angrily) fight/box, and eventually take our girls back to our places and use those 3AM drinking after effects.

Drinking and dancing, and fighting, and smushing (not the word I used when I posted yesterday, but I think that's why they maybe didn't let it go up). Would be a awesome. I know how to live, man.

Of course, I'd need a friend who'd be up for that, and we'd need girls, and the fighting part could be done maybe better if it's a house party, maybe we bring sparring gear for safety. I mean, you could do it at a club in theory, but you might look like you're seriously fighting and have to deal with the bouncer.

Anybody interested? lol

8. pygmalion

You are kidding, right? Your dance fantasy is to drink at a nightclub with a couple random girls, spar with a friend, and then go home and get laid? Wow. Just wondering. Which aspect of that has anything to do with dancing?

9. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

the part where I said we'd go dancing?

And did I say random girls? I wish I were that much of a ladies man (then again, maybe this friend in this hypothetical is one of those guys who just seems able to easily get a date, and he could do that part for us). I meant our girls. frankly preferable we've been dating for a while, I'm more of a romantic, not into anything that doesn't have some empotional intimacy.

And yeah. It's fun to move, it's fun to work out, it's fun to dance. I get excited in general.

10. pygmalion

Hmm. I started to say no offense intended, but that would be disingenuous. I posted what I did knowing full well that you might take exception to what I said. I hoped you wouldn't be offended (because offended can be tedious for everyone,) but I chose to post what I did anyway. I responded to the message your post sent me, which, IMV, feeds into many of the stereotypes that plague serious dancers. A cloak of dancing used to legitimize drinking, fighting, smushing. Seriously?!?

Not sure where the sparring comes from, so I won't even begin to try to address that. On the other two points, I cannot begin to tell you how many conversations we've had in the almost nine years I've been in DF about serious dancers NOT associating drinking or sexual acquisition with dancing -- much, if not most, of the time. Really. I get that you're new in the dance community, so maybe you don't know how being a dancer works for serious dancers, yet. That's fine. We all live and learn.

But ... fantasizing on the internet about the drinking you want to do, the sparring partner you need to find and the girls you plan to get is not, in my book, a good way to get yourself taken seriously as a dancer ... assuming that you want to get taken seriously at all.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i am thinking that not every post on df merits a response

12. pygmalion

True, f. And some folks don't know how to let themselves be ignored. Eh *shrug*

13. pygmalion

My dance fantasy of the moment : To do a praise dance with a full choir (and maybe even orchestra) background. Not the usual modern dance inspried stuff, though. Waltz or something truly partner dance inspired, with vocal and instrumental backup. This would be awesome for me.

14. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

I posted something yesterday that was more thorough than this, but this forum's bad moderators deleted it even though there was no cussing or anything

but anyway:
    I don't know what the big deal is. The OP is "what's your dance fantasy?" and I described it, and it isn't that far out there.
    Be taken seriously as a dancer? Please. I dunno what you're saying, I just like dancing and would like to be as good at it as possible over time. Beyond that... well, that's it, that's all there is to it.

I posted a response to the OP and you people are being far less than cordial and throwing misdirected aggression at me. Settle down a little.

15. pygmalion

Edwin. Did you read the DF guidelines?

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

now that this has been posted...thank you P...let us please drop the guideline issue and the issues about why the member was moderated...and stick to the topic at hand, doing so in a tone consistent with guidelines...edwin...as a general rule, we try not to use verbiage here that will inflame others...when the staff determines that a post falls beneath that standard, it is going to be moderated...the staff makes that determination whether agreed upon or not ...if you would like to discuss this further, please do so in the staff mailbox...continuation of discussion about it by anyone on this thread is subject to infraction...thanks

17. pygmalion

Annnywayy ... I'm on the Black History Month planning committee for 2013, and, since this thread got me thinking, I broached the subject of the dance/choir thing for next year. (We already do a choir with a jazz band, usually.) I got a resounding maybe, which is better than I expected. Who knows? :-D

18. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Anyways, I think the fantasy/goal dichotomy is an interesting one. Or perhaps I ought to say fantasy/goal continuum, as I don't think it's things are entirely one or the other. I'll confess that I daydream about winning a scholarship at my next comp. I did well enough in standard at my last competition and have had enough tangible improvement since my last comp that I don't think it's entirely a wild flight of fancy. But Millenium is a *big* competition. There will be no wailing or gnashing of teeth if I come up short. This is, of course, all true only so long as we're talking about standard. Daydreaming about winning my latin scholarship probably *is* a wild flight of fancy. :D

One out and out fantasy: moving to New York specifically to take advantage of its dance community. I actually *can* see myself moving within the next few years largely for more dancing opportunities, but it'd be all but impossible to find a job in my field in that city. It sure would be amazing though.

19. pygmalion

That sounds like a goal to me. :wink: :-D

20. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

My fantasy?

to be on the dancefloor. Actually I´m on crutches once again.