Country and Western > What's Your Favorite Dance?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by California, Jun 15, 2007.

1. California

California New Member

What is your absolute favorite dance and why??:bandit:

2. kayak

kayak Active Member

ChaCha to some of the CW music. The pace is generally slower than ballroom ChaCha. So it isn't as rushed. Then, there are just lots of options for playing with your partner.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

WCS and Cha Cha.

4. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Nightclub two-step. Why? Because it has elements of both rhythm and smooth, it's very romantic, and it's just a super cool dance.

5. kayak

kayak Active Member

Yea, Night Club 2-step was my other choice. I love how we can fill a whole floor if there is space or we can fit a pretty small space if things get crowded.

6. Taurus57

Taurus57 New Member

Wlatz is what I can do best because it is in ballroom and country. I was looking forward to Polka until we got our routine, whew is it difficult! Cha cha and East Coast are fun too. A good slow West Coast (with the right partner) can be a lot of fun. Each dance has a different character and can be fun for different reasons. I suppose it depends on why you are dancing in the first place.

7. California

California New Member

What about Line Dancing?

Am I the only one that LOVES line dancing??

Do you'll do the Drifter and the Cowboy Cha Cha and the Horseshoe partner dances where you live or is it just a Northern California thing??

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Probably not, but on a website dedicated to partner dancing, its understandable why you'd be in the minority... ;)

9. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

As a teacher...International Slow Fox

As a dancer...Argentine Tango, and its family of dances

For just cuttin' loose...Salsa y Cha

10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

California:
    No, you aren't the only one that loves line dancing. I started with line dancing, and I've found that as I have gotten "really pretty good" at the partner dances (talkin' about over 10 years of taking lessons in a pretty wide variety of both "singles" dances (hip hip, jazz, all the CW partner dances, Argentine Tango), I find it increasingly difficult to find partners who can tolerate the amount of improvising, and just plain dancing to the music that I do now. And, you know, I can't help myself. The music makes me do it.
    When one of my favorite line dances comes on, I'm on my own. As long as I don't run into anyone else, stay in my own space, and/or move the same direction as the floor, I can do anything I want out there.
    The salsa and swing people talk about their "shines". Well, you can "shine" whenever you want with line dances, and you don't have to ignore your partner.
    Unfortunately, after years of doing line dances, you figure out that they are all pretty much the same fairly small set of step sequences, only in different orders. Sometimes it feels like they came out of a random dance sequence machine.
    Variations are the answer for this problem. (Please try to be move creative than just doing an extra turn.) I even made up an entire dance - Save a Horse, Not a Line Dance - to the song of the same name.
    Vince will probably weigh in again, but I think the "policy" is that it's OK to have side discussions about line dancing.
    Kinda like you can throw in some moves you learned in salsa classes when you do Night Club Two Step, and the NC2S police won't ask you to stop it.

11. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

This is indeed a problem, isn't it? I enjoy dancing in this manner, as well. Dancing by steps (rote) isn't as much fun, to me.

12. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

My favorite dance is ECS:D, but most of the others fall so close behind it's a tough call. I also really enjoy a good Rumba (I get a huge kick out of developing that connection with my dance partner:wink:) or WCS if I feel like playing it cool:cool:. I really have to work to get through smooth, I just haven't developed the control that I want to get them right yet. :headwall:

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Absolutely OK . . . BTW . . . my favorite C&W dance, though I suck at it unless it's a routine . . . is 2 Step . . . and I too . . . (I hate to admit it) do line dancing!

14. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Oh, NO!
    And here you had me convinced you didn't!
    You must not be a "real cowboy" either.

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Keeps everyone guessing!!!!

Well . . . we live about 12 miles from the "Cowboy Capital of the World," and I used to break horses . . . but after an injury to my back, horses and Harley's are out! I really miss my Harley . . .

I still have many, many pairs of skin-tight Wrangers and lots of boots . . . . I can still fit in the boots!!!!!!

16. bootscoot147

bootscoot147 New Member

i like a anything fast, but lightning polka, uno dos tres, hoo haa hustle, apple jacks, sweetheart shoddish

17. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Active Member

All of the above

I find that I enjoy different dances for different reasons - usually the dance I prefer depends on my mood or just finding inspiration in a song that I happen to be listening to.

I love salsa and merengue for the playful and spicy music, syncopations, and flowing hip action.

I love bachata for the romance, the intimacy and moving my hips.

I love Argentine tango for the connection and the intensity.

I love west coast swing for the musicality and the creativity.

I love waltz and foxtrot for that "floating on clouds" feeling.

I would like to learn more ballroom to experience the unique feeling that each of those dances create, as I do mostly social dances.

I do enjoy other forms of dance, such as jazz and modern, but I have found that nothing satisfies me and makes me feel the same way I feel dancing with another person. There is nothing like it!

18. nydancer1

nydancer1 New Member

I love line dancing because you can put your own style into it and I like CW music
    I love free style because you dont need to worry about a partner
    I love West Coast Swing because it is a very interpretative dance and its sexy

19. progdouble2stp

progdouble2stp New Member

Hi there,
    New to the forum! My favorite CW dance is the Progressive Double Two Step. I have been dancing the Progressive for about 10 years now, which is also how long I have been dancing. I started out taking 3 step lessons at a Country Dance club and while I was there I saw this couple doing the Progressive. Needless to say I was hooked after seeing them do all of these patterns, spins and turns! It was like "Wow" look at them move!
    I also do the 3-step, Waltz, East Coast Swing, West Coast Swing, Cowboy Cha-Cha.
    The best thing of all? I met my beautiful wife, dancing!

David

20. kayak

kayak Active Member

Hi, I don't think we have a progressive double two up north? It looks a lot like a triple 2-step right? Anyway, looks like fun.