Dancers Anonymous > when a blonde hits on you

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by tsb, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

And were you strapping?

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

he said she came up behind him so I doubt it would have mattered before the attack...that, being said, depending upon his condition, if he had been packing, she well may not have made it back to the cab

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

roger that..

4. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the law takes a dim view of shooting people in the back.

i do not currently have a CCW permit (concealed carry) but i suppose i could probably get one now if i really wanted. but i've also studied aikido and silat. i'm not saying i'd go unscathed, but if i was forced to defend myself against somebody armed with a club/knife who was otherwise untrained, i think i'd be OK, especially with the silat training; while silat teaches defensive concepts about protecting center line, etc., it's more about obliterating your opponent as quickly as possible by intercepting/neutralizing your opponent's attack while "making the way" to disrupt your opponent's base towards taking them to the ground and disabling them in the process.

but that's secondary to situational awareness and setting up a safe boundary at any given moment, and the reality is that i let my guard down that night and i let an attacker get the drop on me. if there's a silver lining to be found in this, it's in how i've noticed that some of the people who come for a meal now watch my back when i'm serving food - they actually don't even wait in line while everyone else is getting food. that's gone a long way towards strengthening my resolve to continue to do this. and given that this was a completely isolated incident, i'm not going to become hyper-vigilant in the future.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. fascination

that sounds healthy and as though you are processing the trauma....ftr, I wasn't in any way meaning to endorse shooting anyone, i was more wanting to make the point that you had no chance to prepare, with or without one

and I really applaud your decision to refuse to allow this to jade you and discontinue what you are doing, and to instead focus on ways to minimize risk....good for you and good for everyone else because of it

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  6. fascination

working in a counseling field, I have had a good deal of training about how to minimize my risk, but none of us is alert all of the time...just a few months ago I allowed myself to be in a room alone with a wrench wielding cuckoo and I allowed him to stand between myself and the door...you never do that....but I didn't perceive danger until I had already done that

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

Silat is amazing!! i wish i had time to study it more

studied Jeet Kun DO for many years, a very practical form for these situations
    recently dabbled with Krav maga and Systema

maybe once i retire i will take more

j_alexandra likes this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

we never think" this will happen to us" i suspect its a form of ego defense mechanism or something that our psyche cant let us live in eternal "fear"

but i agree situational awareness is key its not fear or hyper vigilance its a calm, focused , (trained into you) approach to being in space helps in dancing too LOL

9. Mr 4 styles

Base lever angle....

Silat is cool!!!! god knows where i would have to go to study it:(

10. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

oops.

11. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

JKD - intercepting fist. have you sparred with anyone with any silat training? i've found that the supported punch technique in juru 1 from silat is an effective counter to JKD trapping - and naturally, in intercepting/deflecting a weapon attack. it beats the crap out of your forearm but keeps the vitals sage and allows you to get inside the radius of that weapon range.

not knowing where you are, i could only suggest an internet search to determine if a qualified silat instructor is anywhere near you.

12. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

you can adapt the basic triangle philosophies in terms of base and footwork, leg sweeps, etc. it's really pretty simple when it's explained properly.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  13. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I was really sorry to see what damage she did to you and at the same time admired you for the way you coped. Thanks for sharing, your story is an eye-opener. I've lived most of my life in Athens, Greece and some years in London too. I was bullied last year from someone who was surely scizophrenic and didn't recognize I was a victim for some time. But reading your story affected me, so thank you for sharing it with all of us.

14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

systema! oooh, tough guy! and you dance, too? <fans self>

15. Mr 4 styles

no but before I do I would learn it!!

at this time my hands are a protected organ by my occupational insurance so I cannot do martial arts:(
    or fly a plane but that's for a different reason
    aww thanks and no im not a tough guy.. I just love studying martial arts not to beat the chit out of someone but to defend self and more importantly others... plus the movement component of it made learning to dance a bit easier in the absence of ballet training!

that is one of the beauties of it.. that and it works very well for women and defending against bigger more powerful opponents

I have studied many martial arts forms to some extent... just love the learning

16. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

I'm so sorry you had to go through this.