Swing Discussion Boards > When to learn to lead?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by blue, Jul 21, 2004.

1. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Okay... I will rephrase. Don't assume every leader has ever had a girlfriend to understand that stare :arrow: :shock: . Some of them are glad enough that a girl is looking at them. :roll:

2. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    And what's that about with leaders who seem try not to make any eye contact with the follower? :?

3. etchuck

etchuck New Member

You probably do spin like a goddess, and it's too bad you can't go out of proper dance frame to clock him with your elbow to understand dance space.

Sounds like your leaders have difficulty understanding leverage connections. For all intents and purposes they have to make the connection back with you. If they're too close, then you shouldn't have a leverage connection.

Just remember, you own the slot. He's supposed to stop your travel with your leverage. So your "anchor" really should be HIS anchor to stop you from travelling away from him. You (as follower) I think need to maintain your momentum until he stops you from moving down the slot. And the only way the leader does that is (1) not letting the anchor travel (too much), and (2) getting the leverage connection by 6/8.

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Hmm. Do I want attention or what? I always want to follow! :p

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

"Someone blind me!"

Is that a good statement or bad? J/K

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

"When to learn to lead?"

My two cents: When you are ready.

7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what I did...I basically cha cha'd back until he stopped. :)

I didn't make this clear when I first posted the story...this class wasn't at my studio, but one in the bay area that we go to every once in a while.

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I would hope that you would have stopped the class and made corrections, if it were your studio?

That slot does belong to the follow, and I know that when I get the chase to follow, I make sure that I own that slot. If the lead is in the way, they will get knocked off of it! No doubt about it.

Andd cha cha'ing out of it is something that we should all learn to do, as at some time or another we need to that or synopate to get on track or straighten out the track - if only for ourselves in order to get back with the lead.

9. twnkltoz

Depends. If it's a teacher that welcomes my input, and some of them do (or even ask if I have anything to add), or I'm officially assisting, I'll say something. That is, as long as the teacher didn't actually tell them to do whatever it is...just not correcting them. Other teachers I won't say a word, especially if they're teaching that way. It's just not cool to undermine another teacher's credibility, even if they don't deserve any!

Does that make sense?

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Absolutely. You're a gentleperson and a scholar. 8) Undermining another teacher's credibility only makes you look bad, even if you're right, IMO.

11. twnkltoz

I had to stop attending one person's classes (if I have a free hour and I have to stay, I help out wherever I'm needed) because the stuff she was teaching was making me angry it was so wrong. I've told the director about it.

12. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

Having personally witnessed this, I have to agree that blinding is the best thing that could happen.

13. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Michelle, during the time when you've been studying abroad, I've gotten a little more experience and comfortable with WCS. So you haven't seen what it's like now.

I promise I won't do that for our "welcome freshman to campus" dance. Maybe at the "welcome freshman" dances on other campuses... ;) :twisted:

14. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

My comment had nothing to do with you, only with your "other male friend" who scares people with his hip motion. I one had a lindy teacher tell a class that it's great that guys follow, but they should keep their swivels to a minnimum. That's how I feel about hip motions in WCS

15. blue

blue New Member

As it turns out, the place I decided to go to for classes will not give a course for my level until later this year. My solution is, I will go the beginner's course and lead. :) Less than a month left till it starts. I am waiting...

16. blue

blue New Member

I have taken my first class leading... and at the moment my feeling is, this is a lot more fun! :D I think the main thing is that I like the way of teaching better than the classes I took following, though. Otherwise I am up to some disturbing social consequences... :roll:

17. Alias

Alias Member