Swing Discussion Boards > When to walk-walk and when to tripple?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Flat Shoes, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

This question is about understanding the dynamics of the dance (primarily talking about Lindy, but all comments are welcome).

Good follows do not think about when to walk-walk and when to do tripple, when to do six-count or when to do eight-count basic. It's all in the lead and the movement.

But what is the element in the move and/or lead that subconsciously makes a follow chose to tripple or to walk?

Is it speed of travel, direction of travel, speed of the lead, whether it's a turn or not, weight distribution or something else?

If anyone could help me understand this, I would be grateful. Unfortunately I suck terribly at following, so I can't feel this for myself.

2. blue

blue New Member

This is basically the same question that I asked in Sixcounts and eightcounts. I am not sure we reached a conclusion, though...

3. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

In Lindy, I haven't the foggiest, but if it is similar to west coast, it's an acceleration of the connection; generally achieved by making the extension or compression deeper by regulating the relative position of the leader's center and support [you might consider this weight distribution], or by rotating the upper body.

4. dTas

dTas New Member

what i basically teach in WCS (which is closely related to Lindy) is...

in general (not all the time) triple when you reach the end of the slot or when you are passing the leader.

that seems to work in most cases.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

The leader has to listen to the music and think in advance, and prepare himself and his follow for what comes next . . .

As a follower, you must keep your mind “open” all the time, and do not think about what the leader may or may not do next . . . in fact, it’s probably safer not to think at all . . . let the leader do that, and you just follow.

You must learn to “listen” to what the leader is telling you to do . . . and by “listen,” I don’t mean what he/she is orally saying. A good follower will pull in every visual clue that the leader is putting out. What is his body doing? . . . What is his head doing? Why is his hand on my back? What is he doing with his feet? What is he telling me with his free hand? Whoa, he’s looking down the slot, what’s he telling me?

If you practice committing your weight, “right now,” on each and every step that you take, instead of having your weight distributed evenly on each step (how we walk), I certainly would believe that you’ll be ready to accelerate when given the signal to do so, or triple-step when told to do so.

Bottomline??? Time on the floor will help you to learn whether it is a walk-walk or a triple-step, and by keeping your ears open, so that you are listening to what the leader is telling you . . . you will instinctively following correctly most of the time . . . I say most of the time, because we are human, and we do make mistakes.

So, stop thinking and enjoy the ride!!!

6. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

I am fully able to lead a six-count or an eight count move. How to do that is not the issue. What I'm interested in is what element of the lead or movement that subconsciously causes the follow to either do a walk-walk or a tripple-step (shuffle?).

It is my theory that the basic step has one important role, keep themself underneath the body in order to keep the body in balance. Sometimes it is necesary to walk and sometimes the follow need to shuffle her feet, in order to have balance and be on the right foot. But what is making either one or the other necessary?

7. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

I assume you mean this is when the follow will tripple. It makes sense in the way that prolonging a six count pattern and making and eight count pattern can easily be done by just moving in the same direction on 5-6, and this induces a walk-walk on these counts.

8. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Ok. I can understand the first one, but 'when passing the leader' doesn't make any imediate sense to me. But I'll think about it.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

It's when you pick up the leader that you are dancing with, and "pass" him on to the next person . . . commonly known as "passing the leader" . . . J/K . . .

It's when you are going by - the L side or the R side of the person that is leading you! If YOU ARE counting, and you've stepped 1, 2 . . . what's next? 3&4, 5&6 . . . so would you "walk-walk?" That would be 3-4, or 5-6. If you are WCS dancing, the proper count would be 3&4, 5&6 - albeit, there are exceptions to this . . .

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

One of my old WCS teachers would mix up the walk-walks and triple-steps, just to keep things interesting. She respected the phrasing of the music of course, but, especially with progressive movements across the floor, she'd mix it up all the time. Tons of fun, because she and I could play with rhythms. We'd sometimes do this little call-and-response thingie. She'd walk while I'd triple, then we'd switch, and so on. Of course, we could both count ... :roll: :lol:

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

There are lots of moves that I, as a leader, do as a walk walk, that's either becasue the move calls for it, I need to get us back on, or I'm doing a foot change to get on the follows footwork for a specific move, etc.

I sometimes will walk walk walk walk walk (all counts) . . . that's called a "lazy WCS leader - the ones that just stand there or walk while putting the follow thru a hell move!

12. pygmalion

That is such a blast! From the follow perspective, I mean. It gives you permission to play around with the music and styling and such.

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yeppers . . . this is where that "groping" comes in . . . pinching . . . hugs from behind . . . Oh yea . . . lots of play here . . . the only way to WCS!

14. pygmalion

Groping? Pinching? Moi? Never! :wink: :lol:

15. blue

blue New Member

As an AT newbie, I ask - could it be as easy as weight changes? Walk-walk includes a weight change in the middle, tripplestep really doesn't. The middle step isn't a full step, one never actually puts the weight on that foot.

Does one reallly have the sensitivity to feel weight changes like that in bouncing lindy? I am not sure.

16. pygmalion

I don't know lindy (and am unlikely to) but what you're saying makes sense to me, blue. Meaning, in WCS, I can play around with walks and triples all I want, if I'm able to recover and end up on the correct foot in sync with the phrasing of the music. Otherwise, I have to stick with walk/walk or triple step as dictated by the music and the pattern being led. So yeah, weight changes are involved, IMO. (of course, there are always syncopations. :raisebro: :lol: )

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I personally feel each weight change, including those in a triple step, and if I ever get on the wrong foot, I walk it out or synchopate!

18. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Following up on Blue's thought and Vincent's comment about walking it out, maybe, as a follow, you feel throug the leader that the current pattern is being ended, and you do whatever is necessary to get your weight correctly distributed?

Whoa.. horrible sentence

19. pygmalion

Not that bad a sentence. 8)

And yep. You feel when it's time to get ready for the next phrase, so you do whatever you need to, to get back on the correct foot and get ready to be led into the next thing.

20. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

So that is part of the truth at least. Actually quite obvious now. :lol: