Tango Argentino > When you should start taking private lessons

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by black_cat, Jul 5, 2014.

1. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

I was fortunate to find a great teacher for privates. He taught me what I needed to know, not what I wanted to know. If you think dancing is just knowing steps, you don't need privates. A private teacher will point out bad habits, e.g. poor frame, feet not turned out, etc., that will be missed in a group class.

Group classes emphasize figures. Private lessons emphasize technique (if the teacher is any good.)

2. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

I switched schools after my 1st 2 or 3 months of classes. The school I switched to offered a discount on a private lesson for every month of study. I began taking a private lesson after the 1st month. Although group classes were small & there was always some individual attention I greatly benefitted from the opportunities to get from my regular instructors answers to questions I did not know I had, and to get instruction that was tailored to fit my body, rather than the general instruction that applied to all.

At 6 months I was not yet accomplished enough as a leader to benefit from the types of techniques a "famous teacher" might provide, but I would encourage you to take a private with him, especially if he is also doing group workshops, so you could focus on some of what you will not pick up in the group workshop. Also he might provide a perspective or an insight that might guide you on your personal tango journey. I would also strongly encourage you to take private lessons with your regular instructors.

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

My answer, as soon as you find a teacher that you like, (and you can afford them). IMO, the only advantage to group classes is getting to meet other people, (and of course, the price).

Loki likes this.
  4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

They're good for learning figures (if that's what you want) and practicing leading/following with different people.

5. tangomaniac

The problem with group classes is they can lead to drama and trauma. A lot of dancers exaggerate their skills and take classes beyond their skill level. I've been in classes with women who couldn't pivot so they couldn't do ochos. I can't sweep a woman's foot if she can't do an ocho. Then frustration leads to attacks, e.g. "How long have you been dancing?"

A good teacher gives an objective, not subjective evaluation. It's easier to take feedback from a teacher than a stranger.

Loki likes this.
  6. Lui

Lui Active Member

If you can afford it why not try it out. You will get most out of your private lesson if you can give your teacher a description of what you want to focus on.

I rather disagree with opendoor, in my observation you get the best progress when you visit a teaching couple with your training/regular dance partner. It’s always much easier to dance the stuff with a “pro” but a completely different challenge to get it done with a “normal” person.

I’m personally not a fan of body systems as the time the teachers spend to learn those system at least roughly they could have spent on developing proper tango techniques. In the end a lifetime is just hardly enough to learn tango or ballet, etc..

That’s why you have to try it out for yourself. We can only tell what has worked for us or what we observed in others. If it will work for you, only you experience can tell.

7. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

I would rather recommend you to go more on milongas that private lessons.
    And listen to the music as much as you can, study music and orchestras.
    What I do is to call certain partners for certain orchestras.
    It emulating a partner since I don't have a regular partner.

And when dancing try to listen to body movement first, later the music.
    Try to learn how each follower moves and listen to the music when you are leading.

For this stage you get enough information on group classes.
    Go to milongas, dance and have fun.

8. dchester

I constantly have to tell the more serious students, remember to have fun.

:)

9. tangomaniac

They will start to have fun once they understand tango.

10. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

If that were true i would have to conclude that there are very few people who understand tango, and that advanced dancers usually understand
    tango less than beginners....

Loki and Bailamosdance like this.
  11. twnkltoz

Lots of people have all kinds of fun before they truly understand tango.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  12. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Actually, the only time I am NOT having fun is when someone is trying to make me 'understand' tango lol.

Loki, Mladenac and twnkltoz like this.
  13. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Dancing AT is like climbing mountains. I'm not sure "fun" is the right word.
    Valse and milonga are fun.

14. dchester

No comprendo.

:confused:

15. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Climbing mountains is challenging, and rewarding. I don't like to use the word fun, though. I pretty much feel the same way about AT (but I have been know to apologize to partners because I was smiling and having fun, and I've always gotten the message that you aren't supposed to).

16. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I know that face. I just assume that they're either constipated, or have been 'got at' by the tango police. Either way, I take no notice. Mostly they're planchadoras anyway. If you want to dance, and you came to dance, lets dance. ;)

17. dchester

For me, a good tango tanda is somewhere between fun and bliss.

18. twnkltoz

I don't smile during most dances of any sort because I'm too busy concentrating, but every once in a while I get a leader who's so danged fun I have a goofy ear-to-ear grin through the whole thing. I don't care if it is tango...I don't apologize for that!

UKDancer likes this.
  19. Mladenac

And chat with people on milongas, ask them about their tango journey.
    Try to find inspirational things in tango and as I already said go to milongas.
    There are a lot of advanced dancer that can unintentionally show you something nice. ;)

Go to milongas. :cool:

I usually smile more with beginners. :D

20. Mladenac

When the teachers are boring the dancing is boring also. o_O :rolleyes: