Swing Discussion Boards > Where can you download 99¢ songs?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by hepcat, Aug 24, 2005.

1. hepcat

hepcat Member

I've been a little frustrated with the selection on the iTunes Music Store. I typically can't find over half the swing songs I'm looking for. Case in point: I wanted to find some Casey Macgill (Rhythm, Kitchen Mechanic's Night Out, etc.), but they only had one song by Casey MacGill and it's not one that I'm interested in. I found a CD on Amazon, but there's really only 3 or 4 songs on it that I want. I'm aware that there are other sites that sell 99¢ downloads, but a quick google search didn't immediately turn them up. Maybe I'm just not executing a very good query. Has anyone compiled links to pay-per-song music sites?

I did find a bunch of sites that claim to have unlimited free legal downloads, but I couldn't find the hooks and was very leery about them. Does anyone use any of those free download sites?

-Hepcat

2. ratherbdancing

ratherbdancing New Member

I think walmart has .99 downloads. It might be .89 actually.

3. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Swing isn't Pop music. Therefore services that allow downloading of songs will have an extremely limited selection of non-Pop music.

We are not the target audience of music downloading services. :|

4. Medira

Medira New Member

try puretracks.com

5. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

But it does amaze me the number of song that do come up on iTunes each week. Most of the artists are completely new to me-I am way out of the Pop age, probably only a couple I have heard of and even less than that even that I would like.
    A petition drive - that's what we need!

6. hepcat

hepcat Member

When I go there, I get this message:

The wal-mart site (suggested earlier) also only worked with IE, but I was unable to find the songs I was looking for there anyway. I'm surprised these sites are limited to platform when, for example, amazon's samples work with any browser using either Windows Media Player or RealPlayer on my Mac. I suspect that these other sites WILL in fact work, but that they block attempts from other browsers/platforms by denying access to the downloads. How annoying. I wonder if the downloads are in Microsoft's proprietary format or whether they're standard mp3's? If that's the case, and I can't import them into iTunes, then so be it, but it seems to me like mp3 is the universal format, so I'd be surprised if they weren't offerred as mp3's. Personally, I like Apple's proprietary AAC format, but most of my music is mp3, so I'm not really all that partial to it.

I was convinced that there were other popular mp3 99¢ download sites out there. I thought I'd seen them advertised before. I think I read an article on them a long time ago. I didn't think they would be difficult to find... iTunes is terrific, but if you can't find your song, the only other alternative appears to be illegal file sharing networks if you want to download as opposed to buying a disc. The industry really should get fully on board the digital download band wagon. Where are the 99¢ download sites?!

Rob

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

We use music.msn.com

8. Neil

Neil Member

I recently read that none of the current legal music download sites offer music in mp3 format because that would preclude them from locking down their digital rights management systems. So, iTunes uses AAC and other sites use either the proprietary format from Windows or Real. There will be a new site soon that will specialize in Latin music that will offer unprotected mp3's. If you think it's hard to find wcs music at iTunes, you should try searching for Timba music (that's the music that street salsa dancers use).

9. hepcat

hepcat Member

Ooo ooo, not wcs - any other kind of swing though (lindy, balboa, shag, charleston, jitterbug, etc.) If I was a wcs'er, I'd probably have an easier time finding music on iTunes (I'm guessing). I've heard that they dance to lots of kinds of music.

10. Firephreek

Firephreek New Member

Go visit www.emusic.com. Great site, they deal with mostly independents and you'll be able to find some great music there. The hitch? monthly fee for a set number of downloads. totally legal, plus you get 50 bonus tracks when you sign up. Easy interface, solid downloads, and you get to discover a lot of music you might never have come across.

The other site I use is www.allofmp3.com. This site is based in russia, so it's technically legal since it falls under Russian Copyright law. The hitch? you pay $.02 per mb downloaded. But you get to pick the size and type of encoding. easy listener? encode to 128 and save. Hard cord? encode to 192 or more to get all the 'omph' you want. Another easy to use site, full length previews (at a reduced quality). You'll be able to find more mainstream music here along with some rare stuff.

Check them both out, I'm on each so if you have questions, just let me know. firephreek23.

11. hepcat

hepcat Member

Just recently discovered the audio search feature of dogpile.com! Really cool. You can find where to buy songs online which don't seem to be available on some music store sites. You can even find freebies on artist's websites. I found a song I'd been looking for for quite some time, although the very end seems to be clipped off! :mad: Oh well.

The advanced audio search is preferable to the basic search.

Note that a small yet significant portion of the results returned are broken links. Still, it's another tool in the arsenal of audio purchasing/searching tools.

-hepcat

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Very cool! Thanks. :)

13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I know this probably won't help you any, but I used to be a member of BMG . com. They will let you listen to the album before you buy. Sometimes I would do that before I bought from anywhere just to make sure I got the song that I wanted from the right album. However, BMG . com has great music deals, and I swore to myself that once I got to making money again that I would go back to them. You can sometimes get like up to five CD's for only $2.99 each that type of thing if you bought like one CD at full price. They also had it to where sometimes you could get like two CD's for free if you bought one CD at full price that type of thing. I have so many CD's that I told my instructor not to buy any more CD's if he just wants to burn mine if I have a song that he's looking for lol.

14. Horizon

Horizon New Member

allofmp3.com isn't really a legal site. It can't be shut down by the US gov't because it's based in Russia, but the music isn't legit. The record industry doesn't see any of that revenue. That said, they do have some really good music, for very, very cheap, plus it's in .mp3 format and can be encoded to any bitrate :)

15. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol! We discussed this once in one of my legal classes. I brought up the idea of what's so different from this than from let's say a library that let's you borrow books, so that you don't have to buy them on the shelf? I don't get why musicians are so picky. They make enough money as it is!:p

16. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

If I wanted to go the "legal" way, Wal-Mart has them for download for 88cents.

If I wanted to go the Yo-Ho-Ho and a bottle of Van Gogh, well... we'll speak over another medium, ;)

17. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Whether or not it's legal is simply a question of what your goverment has decided. If there's a loaw prohibiting it, it's not legal. If there's no such law, it's legal. Simple as that.

Whether or not it should be legal and any moral issues around it, that's a long debate. ;)