Tango Argentino > Where in world to tango?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Okay, so we all know that if you want to tango, Buenos Aires is the place to be. But I'm not there, and not likely to get there anytime soon. So where in the world (other than Argentina) can one find a great tango? Are there thriving communties out there?

Hehe I know Orlando isn't one yet. There are some folks working on building a community here. It's just not done yet.

So where in the world can one go tango?

2. Felicia Schwartz

Felicia Schwartz New Member

Where in the world to tango

Why not try China ?
    There are communities in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Shanghai and Beijing.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to our forums Felicia!! :D

Where exactly in these places can one go to tango? What are the best places?

4. pygmalion

Hi Felicia! Welcome to the forums. :D

5. pygmalion

Hey. Did anybody see that old Sixty Minutes episode about tango in Finland? Totally fascinating. Clinically shy people. Minimal face to face interaction. Lots of loneliness and depression. And a national obsession with tango -- tango halls everywhere. Defintely worth a google. I bet there are articles out there.

6. looyenyeo

looyenyeo New Member

Where to tango

The San Francisco Bay area reputedly has one of the most vibrant scenes outside of BA and Montevideo.

Loo

7. pygmalion

Ha! I knew google would help. Here's an article about tango in Finland.

http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/tango4.html

8. Felicia Schwartz

Felicia Schwartz New Member

Hi Sagita.

You can go to the website of our Beijing club www.beijingtango.org or to tangotang.com which is the Hong Kong club site to learn more about tango in Asia and in particular Greater China.

9. pygmalion

It appears that there may be small pockets of tango in lots of places. Of course, there are big, well-publicized communities in a few places. But even in Orlando, AT outback, there is a small but thriving community. Once people get hooked (pun intended), it appears that they stay hooked. :wink:

10. dr_fuzz

dr_fuzz New Member

Tango in sinapore

Well there is a fairly vibrant but very small tango scene here, which I got myself mixed into a few months ago. Their actually quite a dedicated lot though I had and dance with a visiting Argentinine lass (I'm an Aussie) and it was very, very different, she was kind of more fiery???

Anyway the main tango info for Singapore can be found at http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~kace/tango/ while for more info or what other social dances are practiced here check my own little peice of the internet ( www.cerocsingapore.com). cheers.

Fuzz