Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Where Jerry and Anna practice

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by gusmahler, Jan 16, 2006.

1. gusmahler

gusmahler New Member

I think it's funny that two studios in the SF Bay Area claim to be the "home" studio of Jerry Rice and Anna.

Imperial says it right on their web page: http://www.imperialdance.com/about_the_studio/

Starlite doesn't say it on their web page: http://www.starlitedanceclub.com/?starliteballroom

But they do say they are the home of Jerry and Anna at the studio.

FWIW, it looks like most of the "behind the scenes" filiming is at Imperial (the place with the steps near the ballroom floor), but there were definitely some scenes filmed at Starlite (in two different rooms).

And, in case you didn't know, Anna apparently lives in San Jose, CA. Rice spent most of his NFL career in the San Francisco Bay area, first with the San Francisco 49ers, then with the Oakland Raiders, before finishing his career with Seattle and Denver. He apparently still lives in the Bay area.

Also, FWIW, ESPN sometimes has a comedy feature on Sportscenter called "Mayne event" featuring the first person eliminated from DWTS, Kenny Mayne. One episode featured Jerry Rice. It was actually pretty funny--the premise is that the now-retired Rice was treating a local flag football league very competitively, taunting the opponents, demanding the football, and keeping track of stats. It builds on Rice's legendary competitveness (he was one of the hardest practicers ever and a perfectionist on the football field).

It's his competitiveness that makes me think Rice can last far in this competition, if he treats the competition half as seriously as he treated football, he will do well.

And for those who don't follow football, Jerry Rice was not just a wide receiver. He was the greatest wide receiver of all time. It's really hard to overstate his accomplishments as a receiver--he not only holds every major NFL record for receiving, he far surpasses everyone else--400 receptions ahead of second place, 8000 yards ahead of second place, 47 receiving TDs ahead of second place.

2. gracie

gracie Active Member

Yea!! And he's from my home state!! As is Brett Farve!!!

3. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

Yeah, he and Anna were seen quite frequently practicing at Starlite in December.

Do you know where Jon and Giselle are practicing? (I keep meaning to look, but obviously their practice space isn't as immediately familiar to me as Jerry and Anna's.)

4. swan

swan Member

I believe it's The Floor (aka San Jose Dancesport Center) in S. San Jose.

5. dancergal

dancergal New Member

When I lived in San Jose (two years ago), I used to see Anna and Jonathan give private lessons at the Dance Spectrum in Campbell. We used to attend a Monday night WCS class and if we got there early, we would watch the dancers with their instructors in various dances. It was always cool watching Anna give lessons. She stood out (to me anyway) among all the other pros giving privates. My husband recognized Jonathan on last season's DWTS.

6. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

That would be really neat to be at a studio where DWTS is being filmed. I wonder if choosing stars on the program is related to where they live.

7. alemana

alemana New Member

it's the other way round.

8. Laura

Laura New Member

For at least part of the time they want privacy. DwtS rented out Imperial for a week for Jerry and Anna to use alone (well, alone with the film crew).

Supposedly a guy showed up to deliver water, and his jaw dropped to the ground when he saw that Jerry Rice was there. Jerry said something like "you do know why I'm here, right?" Anyway, the guy went home, got his entire family and came back later with them and a football. It was kind of crazy. I don't really think the Stars and their Pros want a lot of gawkers coming to check them out.

9. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Oh, we used to dance at the Imperial dance studio when we lived in North. Calif. Michelle Kinkaid has a West Coast Swing dance there once a month. It's in Redwood City. Nice big ballroom and a separate practice room. You go up a flight of stairs as soon as you walk in the door. I didn't know that's where they were. Pretty cool. I can say we've been there. :)

10. gusmahler

gusmahler New Member

What's the other way around?

11. Laura

Laura New Member

She meant that the Pros were chosen based on where the Stars lived. That's part of why Tatum got Nick (New York) and Jerry got Anna (San Francisco).

12. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Aha, and I meant that they probably woudn't choose a star from say Atlanta where I live because dwts was probably doing all there filming in California and New York.

13. Laura

Laura New Member

Willingness to relocate for the show also plays into it. Like, they originally wanted Charlotte for Denmark. She didn't really want to do it there, but was happy to move to California to do it in Los Angeles. And so she did.

So who knows, you might get an Atlanta star, you never know!

14. SexyMan2Cha

SexyMan2Cha New Member

lol, I remember watching anna and jerry practice during the first episode and thinking, "hey that place looks just like starlite..."

It's to great to go, or have gone, to the same studios where some of the pros on the show teach. I've seen anna and jonathan at local competitions. He looks just like he does on tv.

15. new-ish

new-ish New Member

I think Evander was definitely "A" town.

16. smooth_dancer

smooth_dancer New Member

Starlite now has three large posters of Jerry and Anna at their front entrance. And, a picture of the couple is on the front of the Starlite newsletter! Do you think Starlite and Imperial's promotions of being the home of these "dancing stars" help their business?

17. Medira

Medira New Member

I have no doubt that it would help pull in the casual passer-by on the street. Depending on how far-reaching the newsletter is, it could help a lot, or maybe not so much, if it only goes out to current (and former?) students...

18. Alskling

Alskling Member

They were filming a ballet lesson for Jerry and Anna at Imperial Monday night....that should be interesting to see!

19. Laura

Laura New Member

Starlite isn't exactly located in an area where there is casual foot-traffic.

20. Medira

Medira New Member

Ah. Okay. Scratch that then!