Where to buy hair jewelry like this?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Musique, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Musique

Musique New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Danceshopper . com carries this. But the selection is limited and a bit pricey. Anyone knows where else I can buy hair jewelry? Or how to DIY?
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Considering they are handmade by Bobby and or Ann, it might be a little hard to find them elsewhere.

You could try making them yourself.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

go to a local comp...
  4. Musique

Musique New Member

I am thinking about making them myself. Do you know what fabric to use?

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The particular ones seem to be chrochet or lace applicaes (sp?) that have been dyed black and blonde.
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I have one of these from Bobby. Yah, it's pricey, but it's versatile and great, and I don't regret the splurge. Have also contemplated making one. But...haven't mobilized to bring out my creative side that way as yet.
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

The fabric has kind of a rubbery backing...
  8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think the backing is put on once the piece is finished, and it is some sort of liquid plastic which dries up clear. Nobody knows the brand, it seems.
  9. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Oooh, sparkly!!! Love it, too bad my hair's too short to use them!
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Not too short. Could still do something pretty with one...
  11. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Mmm...I guess I could...just cut my hair from very long (for as long as I can remember) to bob length with bangs. Now have to rethink my comp hair options. Can't put all of it up, but if I swept the front back, I could use the sparkly thing to hide the pins.....
  12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

FWIW, the synthetic appliques do not dye well in our experience, so make sure to get either natural fiber, or one that's right color to start. :)

But stone it yourself, probably liquid latex on back, and go for it.
  13. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I bought mine from a local dance studio, mine doesn't have that kind of rubbery backing.

do you use glue it to your hair with the rubbery back? I have to use hair pin to pin them to my hair.

plus I don't regret the splurge. It's the best kind of hair pieces I've bought:)
  14. Me

Me New Member

If you're just interested in some sparkly hair pieces that are easy to make and less expensive, the best bet I think is to buy appliques and stone them with size 16ss or so stones. :)

If you're wanting something that looks like what is on the danceshopper site, I think it would be less headache to go ahead and buy one, especially since the bases on those pieces seem to be crafted by the maker and not commercially available (that I can find, anyway). It looks like at least four different sizes of stones were used, which would put you out close to $40 (depending on where you shop) buying one gross of each. (I am guessing sizes 12, 16, 20, 30?) You'd have stones left over, of course, but I'm not sure you'd have enough of the correct sizes to make multiple matching hair pieces.

Anyway, good luck!
  15. skipper

skipper New Member

Danz Z carries some that are quite nice.
    You can always make them---go to a fabric store---but an aplicay---and start stoning!!
    Another idea is to but strips of clear bra strap fabric and stone each strip--but you only get straight lines
  16. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Bobby makes his own jewelry?
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I believe the rubbery back makes it less likely to slip out of place, but no it's not glued to your hair! :)
  18. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

So I hear. I love their stuff.
  19. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Actually some women do glue these piece to their hair using eyelash glue.

Same thing goes for when they put rhinestones on their hair. I can't imagin what it takes to get it out though. Baby oil?
  20. hustleNflow

hustleNflow New Member

I used to do that...glue jewels and stuff to my hair. I just peeled it off when I was done...no biggie. Had I had a difficult time, I imagine a simple shampoo and rinse would have done the trick.