Ballroom Dance > Where to buy ready dance hair pieces?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kessy, Mar 28, 2015.

1. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Okay, kids, I think I may have cracked the code. I think I've figured out how to make "critters," and today is TEST LAB DAY. All the materials are assembled on my dining room table and it may take 24 hours for me to know for sure that this works.

Boldly going where no DFer has gone before... :sing:

middy, Sania and raindance like this.
  2. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Crafter's log, more than three hours later...

I have cracked nothing. Nothing.

I suspected it was weave glue that was used, but it sticks to itself, so while what you end up with is flexible and slightly shiny, and it dries clear, because it sticks to itself you get lots of little white balls all over the piece, which looks about as yucky as you might expect. I just saturated some hair and used quilting pins to have keep keep its shape and stick to itself while it dried just as an experiment.

HOWEVER...

What I have learned if you are looking to create braided hairpieces, the hair that's specifically sold for braiding is a DREAM. It sticks to itself. Once you separate it and start to braid it, it doesn't slide out of itself.

So that was a win.

Attached Files:

3wishes and Larinda McRaven like this.
  3. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Do you think silicone would work instead of the weave glue?

4. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I tried silicone, too. It never quite dried. Maybe the tube I used was too old, but it was what I had on hand. I also tried white glue, spray adhesive, and Mod Podge. I came loaded for bear and left with nothing but broken dreams and an afternoon of eating my feelings.

Regarding the weave glue, here is what DID work: It is flexible. It has dried completely. It's not "shiny" like we like, but if I were to spray it with shine spray it might work. I was able to pick off some of the white balls of glue in some places, so maybe the key is to literally dunk the weft into glue, smooth off the excess, then get to shaping it - without touching it as it dries. I painted the weave glue on with both an art brush and a grey sponge brush, which worked better than the art brush did as it provided a more smooth application.

I can't help but wonder if these things are just made with regular ol' hair products, just 200x more than what we use on our heads. But that can't be right, I guess, as some of the headpieces that are glue-on pieces DO use weave/wig glue, and I'd think that the glue dissolver would then dissolve the hairpiece!

I just cannot understand how some of these pieces look so smooth and yet I just could not get the hair to lie flat like some critters are:
    [​IMG]
    Also, that first "swirl," where the hair covers the clip/comb, I never could get the hair I was using to swirl back on itself that way and still be flat.

SO! I am not done in yet. Maybe where I went wrong is that I didn't use human hair for this experiment. In the store, I found the human hair to be nearly unmanageable - soft and slick and I didn't think that it would stay put as it dried - hence the quilters pins.

Back to the crafters' board!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2016
    Miss Silly, Larinda McRaven and Sania like this.
  5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Love that your experimenting. I do know that the vendor I purchased from did use human hair for every piece.

6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

Yeah that hair bond is almost like steroid-powered eyelash glue... it's going to be rubbery and likely act weird. I've used it to glue hair pieces to my hair. It's a b**** to get out!! I never would have thought about using it in this type of application so thanks for sharing your results! I'm always fascinated by such things!

I"ve talked to a local woman who said she used to make them on the side. She said what she did was style the hair on a headform like "normal" (with really good gel or something). And once it's dry, take it off, flip it over, and paint on glue on the underside.

Of course, the type of glue requires experimentation, but from what it sounded like, she used something like a gemtac, so it had some flex but was waterproof (or resistant) when dry.

She said it was "super easy!" (hahah) but I dunno, i'm not great at hair, so maybe easy for her....

7. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

For my hair strip I use hi tack water soluble fabric glue it stays all day but come off easily

8. 3wishes

Ok, so I am going to try to kick start this again. Has anyone figured out what glue or hints? As to how to do your own multi use hair extension for ballroom and I would love to experiment just to make a small critter to compliment new dress. Can't have pro updo. Chronic migraines occur so critters are my source, the price, meh, not so much. Anyone?

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

re-reading that post made me laugh out loud....again.

10. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

When I was doing the chemo thing and before my hair fell out, I got it cut really short and wove it into hair extensions. Always meant to turn it into a bun but started sewing instead.... maybe that should be my next project. I would tend to go for fixing it to a head shape, styling as normal with gel and hairspray, letting it dry etc. I wonder though, what the base looks like? Is it a long-wise cut 1/2 egg shape, so you would have room to hide a ponytail stub? If anyone is able to do a photo of the inside, that would be great! It seems to roll up into a bun OK, using a hairnet....
    Hair.JPG

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  11. 3wishes

well, the piece I have has a fine mesh netting on the inside base. It's not a hair net. Probably place the mesh fabric on head form, then form the hairpiece?

12. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

So, I've been playing with ideas here. I started by weaving my hair using this as a guide

and stitched mesh onto the result (see previous post).
    I then (thank you past history with model airplanes) formed an oval shaped plastic thingy as a base, cut it to a shape that fitted my head and bobby pinned the hair strips to it. I combed the hair into a ponytail, and started to do a hairstyle as I normally would if it had been attached to my head. I stopped though, as I think it might be worth colouring the hair before I commit to gluing the mesh to the base, as I expect e6000 will fix it there good and proper. I can do some pics if anyone wants to see how to form the bubble (Not vital but a good place to put your ponytail stub).
    plastic bubble.JPG Hair critter inside.JPG Hair critter.JPG

13. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

I was recently doing a craft project and was using mod podge. I wonder, that could be used on the underside of the hair piece... since it is a glue and sealer.

So basically this is how i would imagine it to go:

- Style the piece (probably on a styrofoam head or something head-shaped or curved)

- Use hairspray and gel, just like normal

- when the hair is totally dry, take it off the form, and paint the underside with mod podge.