Tango Argentino > Where to dance AT in Orange County or Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by NJC, Feb 25, 2005.

1. NJC

NJC New Member

Does anyone know where one can dance AT in Orange County or Los Angeles areas?

Thanks for your help :D

2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Calling Renee Joan!
    Your help is needed here.

Help will arrive soon, just do ochos until then... :D

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Re: Whre to dance AT?

Ditto on the welcome and call out to RJ!! My dear where are you?

4. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Did I hear a 9-1-1 for a tango fix? How fast do you need it?

Tonight, in Cosa Mesa, my teacher, Felix Chavez, is having a class at 7:30 at DanceScene, just off Baker and McClintock. My friend, Luba, is having a milonga afterwards. Cost, $15 for class and milonga, great snacks, really nice crowd of people. I'll be there, though might be late to class, because my ballet class lets out at 6:45, and depending on traffic, I'm sometimes late getting all the way across the border into OC. The INS gets really suspcious about Los Angelenos trying to swim across the border . . . . Anyway, if you come, I'll be there, and we can meet!!

Last night, there was a terrific milonga last night in Downey, 12405 Woodruff, just off the Imperial Highway and the 605. Next week. I think there's a class this Friday, and a great milonga -- great dancers, great snacks. I'll be there, too.

There's a bunch of other venues throughout the week in OC, but I don't usually go to any of them, because I still don't have a passport, and my immunizations are not current, and I've lost my Berlitz tapes for OC-speak. My Valley-Speak is MUCH, much better. And most of the OC venues conflict with stuff I'm doing up in Hollywood and the SFV.

Best source for tango in Los Angeles is Vladimir's "Tango Afficionado" website. It's still a good idea to call the hosts, however, because people don't always keep Vlad current on stuff, and sometimes the times and prices change. Martin Vaccaro has something going, I think, on Fridays? and Cesar has something on Sundays, I believe. But I never go to those, though I do like Martin.

Welcome to Dance Forums!!

And if you've got YOUR passport handy, Moti's Monday Milongita at the Bungalow Club on Melrose, two blocks west of La Brea, $10, $15 if you take the class, is to DIE for. It's the first and third Monday, so the next one is March 7. It is the BEST milonga in town, I think, with the BEST music, and some of my favorite dancers. It's fun, funky, and a total blast.

Hope to see you soon!!!

5. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

I don't always read things very careful. You also wanted info for LA. Okay, Sunday's Gene De Walde has a milonga at the Realtor's Hall in Burbank, 2006 Magnolia, four blocks west of Buena Vista. I think he has live music. $15, though I don't usually go to this one.

Mondays, see previous post.

Tuesdays, My teacher Felix Chavez, has a class and milonga at the AURA nightclub in Studio City, on Ventura, between Laurel Canyon and Whitsett. Cost is $10 cover plus, the club just started demanding a 2 drink minimum (also $10 - :x ), so it's $20 to get in. Nobody's happy with this, especially me, but Felix is worth every penney to have to pay to take his class, I'll be there, and as L'Oreal says, I'M WORTH IT!! Plus, I can't drink even half a glass of wine or I'm having to be mopped up off the floor, but you can use the tickets toward any food or drink item, not just booze, and the menu is really good, and the waitress is just an absolute doll who treats all of us so nice. The party is nice, and I make sure that all the men are up and dancing -- they either get up and dance with somebody, or I'll pounce on 'em and they have to dance with ME. So, as a result, there's not too many people just sitting around. People are DANCING. Luba is a terrific DJ, and has a wonderful collection of music. And as if that isn't enough, I'm going to be performing on March 8th with Felix. My first real, official public performance. Get out your matches everybody, because I'm pouring gasoline on the dance floor that night!!

Wednesday, Sergei has a milonga at the After 5 Club in Burbank, San Fernando Road, just north of Olive, I think. It's south of Magnolia, anyway. $10.

Thursday's, Monica has a milonga at the ARgentine ASsociation, $10, $15 if she's having a live band, which she will this next Thursday. The trio has picked up a violinist who is just absolutely fabulous. I adore her. And sometimes, Monica has Maximiliano from New York as a guest instructor. Class is about 8:00, milonga at 9:00 or 9:30. Check Tango afficionado and call to make sure.

Fridays, Gene de Walde has something going at the REaltor's Hall in Burbank, I think, Michael Espinoza has a real nice class and milonga at LA Dance Experience in Westwood, 1941 Westwood Blvd, between Santa Monica and Olympic, $12; and then there's Downey.

Saturday's is El Encuentro in Sherman Oaks. 4346 Woodman Avenue, just north of Ventura. $14. The Number One milonga in Southern California.

I'm all out of breath. That just about covers it, but check Tango AFficionado to make sure.

Hope to see you soon.

Renee

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thanks RJ. :D

7. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Forgot the All Night Milonga at Cal Tech in Pasadena -- Third Friday of every month. $7 or $8 I think. Class around 10:30? Milonga at 11:15? Waffles at 3:00.

Check Tango Afficionado. The next one is March what? 18th? A lot of fun, lots of young kids (yum, yum), but the cafeteria floor is linoleum, and always feels "sticky" to me, and I wear out my hips doing ochos. But people with suede-soled shoes might not have a problem.

(I wasted ten minutes of my lesson time last night in a silly argument with Felix over my shoes -- he wants me to put suede soles on my dance shoes, I refuse to cop out and blame my poor dance technique on my shoes. We didn't resolve it, so we'll probably have another argument about -- soon -- until I give in. He's always right, and I've never regretted listening to him, no matter how little sense it made at the time. What a pain.) (fume, fume, fume)

8. NJC

NJC New Member

Thank you, Renee!

Wow! I'd no idea there were so many places in LA / OC. I'll love to attend one of these venues soon.

Thanks again :D