Tango Argentino > Where to get sheet music? (and other tips to form an orchestra)

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by milongadicto, Nov 17, 2009.

1. milongadicto

milongadicto New Member

So this is an ambitious project I want to start based on daydream... I want to get together a few musicians to perform tango music, for now only for fun. But one of the challenges is to find the sheet music/scores or whatever you want to call it. I've found a few free scores from todotango, but I find that their library is rather limited, and mostly doesn't have the different parts for piano, violin, bandoneon, bass, etc. I don't mind paying for it as long as I get some quality sheet music... Any idea where I could obtain some, whether for free or for money?
    Any tips about the sheet music or about forming an orchestra would be greatly appreciated... (in particular, it seems almost impossible to find an amateur bandoneon player)

2. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

where are you based?

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2017
  4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

5. flyhere

flyhere New Member

You may find some useful info at mandragoratango.com

6. shortna

shortna New Member

7. jantango

jantango Active Member

Standard scores for tangos don't exist because each ensemble or orchestra does their own arrangements depending on the instrumentation. Of all the tangos, valses and milongas composed in the past century, there is an estimate that only 10% have ever been musically noted in a score.

When Orquesta Tipica Gente de Tango formed in 1981 to play the Di Sarli style, they had to begin by listening to the recordings and hand-writing each part since no scores ever existed. Carlos Di Sarli improvised at the piano. His orchestra played without parts. They rehearsed every day so the musicians had to memorize every note.

Forming a tango group requires dedication on the part of each musician. Someone has to take on the task of obtaining sheet music and then arranging each tango for the specific instrumentation of the group.

I know a professional musician who did so in the Washington, DC area. It consumed a considerable amount of his time. The quintet had to rehearse. Scheduling was always a challenge. Then they played for peanuts at a local milonga. In order to perform, you need to have a repertoire for a half-hour program.

You may want to contact Ben Bogart for help. He recently completed the two-year program with Escuela Orquesta de Tango Emilio Balcarce in Buenos Aires, learning the styles of the orchestras and is now working as a professional on bandoneon and giving music seminars for dancers in the USA. His website includes a technical analysis of tango music, something you need to know before you begin arranging.

I'm not trying to discourage you in this endeavor, but merely want to point out that it has to be a labor of love. There is more involved than you may realize.

It may be difficult to find an amateur bandoneon player to join the group. Anyone good enough with a knowledge of the tango repertoire will be working professionally these days.

8. milongadicto

milongadicto New Member

Not discouraging, this post is actually hugely helpful. I realize it will be a difficult project - after all, it was conceived from a daydream. I am not doing this for money or for fame. Just for love of music. I just need to find people who share my passion.

9. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Tango Jam @ Yale university

Was going to post this info to a new thread, then saw it could fit into this old one.

The Yale Tango festival in New Haven, Ct, USA will include a free tango jam for musicians & people interested in the music on Sunday April 10, 2011. The "Tango Jam Book" linked below provides the sheet music & some lyrics for a bakers dozen (13) popular tunes, including A La Gran Muneca, Desde el Alma, & Milonga Sentimental. The following is from an e-mail sent to festival participants:

Homer and Carlos's Tango Jam on Sunday
    Calling all musicians! There will be a Tango Jam led by Homer Ladas and Carlos Moreno on Sunday at 8pm. (Check the fest schedule for location.) The Tango Jam is FREE and open to the public. No prior fest registration needed, no prior experience with tango music required. Bring any instrument from violin to cowbell. All levels welcome.

You will need to bring theTango Jam Book (10MB, 31 page PDF file for download) with lead sheets for several classic tango/vals/milonga songs with notes, counter melodies, lyrics for singers, and other resource info. A few copies will be made available at the Tango Jam.

To find out more about how the Tango Jam works, read this. To sign up for the Sunday Tango Jam, fill out this form so we know which instruments will be represented. Thanks and see you at the Jam!

10. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Tango Jam @ Yale university

and this is what the tango jam looked like - La Cumparsita