Swing Discussion Boards > Where to study in the US while doing the Lindy Hop?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by fredfjell, Jan 10, 2009.

1. fredfjell

fredfjell New Member

Hi!

I'm new here, but have read many great posts at this forum which have helped me learn more about dancing. I'm completely hooked on the Lindy Hop, and will actually be holding a beginners class at my university this semester. (The Norwegian university of Science and Technology, NTNU) Yeah, kind of nervous about that :p

As a student of technology I'm now considering going to the US to study for a year after the summer. I was wondering if someone could point out which cities (or universities) that are known to have a good Lindy Hop community? When saying good, I'm talking about a fun and including enviroment, not necassarily a community with teams that win competitions and such.

Thanks in advance! Late responses may occur due to time difference ;-)

Fredrik Fjellså, Norway

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Heysan Fredrik och velcom till DF!

You have to excuse my swedish (I don't know any norwegian but it is, of course, similar) its a bit rusty after umpteen years (so long I don't even want to admit it).

Can't help you with the lindy - but sure someone will be by soon. Just wanted to be the first to say hi - I don't think we have anyone else in Norge.

3. fredfjell

fredfjell New Member

Thanks, elisedance!

Your swedish is impressive! And you are right about the similarity between the languages :)

4. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Welcome fredfjell !

There is a lindy and balboa community in NYC. I don't know how that compares to other cities in the US. You might get the best recommendation from www.yehoodi.com. That site is dedicated specifically to lindy hop.

5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

See - ask and you shall be replied to :)
    [hi GJB :)]

6. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Hi Elise!

Slightly OT but Mickey Fortanasce when of the well know Balboa/Lindy Hoppers from NYC is moving to Canada - I think Montreal or was it Quebec.

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Or maybe Toronto :) - vi snackar Svensk haer omkring

8. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I don't have the e-mail message with his announcement anymore but I think you are right Elise. Anyway even though I don't run in the Lindy/Balboa circle I still think it NYC's loss.

9. Me

Me New Member

Several of the lindy instructors at the Dance Renaissance Festival in New Orleans last weekend came from Quebec or NYC.

There is a lindy community in New Orleans. I know little about it, but I know they are extremely happy and growing, as music from live bands permeates the air in the Quarter.

There is a studio in New Orleans and their Web site is nola.hopswingjump dot com

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welc0ome to DF fredfjell! :D

I moved your based to the swing forum, so hopefully some more of our members more familiar with this genre will see your post now and be able to help out with some suggestions.

11. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

Last time I checked in, the scene in Metro Boston was active. That would give you a couple schools to choose from. I would expect Mike Jonas or Steve and Rebecca to be able to connect you with the rest of the scene.

12. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

13. jacklyn

jacklyn New Member

Hey there, I know that University of GA has a lot of swing and lindy dancers. We have a great lindy teacher at Daza Dance in Alpharetta (dazadanceatlanta.com).

14. fredfjell

fredfjell New Member

Thanks a lot everyone!

I think I will talk to my school tomorrow to see if they have a collaboration program with any of the universities in the cities mentioned. Gets a lot cheaper and easier that way :)

Since everyone else is sharing, I thought I'd tell you about the community at my school. We have four different lindy classes: Beginner, Intermediate, Show and Competition. All with a duration of one semester. In addition there's social dancing every sunday, which is where I'm off to right now! :D

Again, thank you for your help! After all the lindy hop is the main criteria when choosing a city.

15. fredfjell

fredfjell New Member

Oh man, this just got so much harder to figure out. Turns out I can go just about anywhere I want, as long as I get admittet to the university/college. Think I will try to figure out where I'm able to get in with my grades :)

Is there a general differences between state and private universities regarding the size and activity of the dance communities?

16. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

So, make a list of the universities that offer that kinds of things you want to study. Then google those universities/towns to see what kind of dance communities they have.
    Even with an "objective list", you might find it difficult to decide.
    Unfortunately, most of us feel most comfortable with only three or four things to pick from. Too many choices can be whelming much of the time!

One person can be responsible for a starting a vibrant community, so I would caution against generalizing about state vs private.

17. Victek

Victek New Member

You might consider UCSB (University of California - Santa Barbara). There's a thriving swing club there, and a strong swing dance community more generally. There are also dances and teachers in other cities in southern California. Particularly noteworthy is the great Camp Hollywood dance camp held in Los Angeles every year at the end of July. [removed link]

18. Silveralsa

Silveralsa New Member

This may be a little to late of a reply, but in my opinion Southern California (LA) has the biggest swing scene, both of Lindy and WCS. Best place is here! I live here, and there's been TONS of people that actually move here because they want to do the dances professionally. But maybe I'm biased ;)