Ballroom Dance > Where were Jose Decamps and Joanna at Ohio

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Rumbagirl, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Rumbagirl

Rumbagirl New Member

Does anyone know why Jose and Joanna did not compete at the OSB?

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

moderator note...no reason but an officially documented one please

3. gracie

gracie Active Member

And the Telonas?

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

No offense to anyone, but I don't understand why people still post these kinds of speculative, quasi-gossip questions on DF. DF doesn't do speculation or gossip. Never has. Not in the seven years I've been here, on and off. DF has people from all dance backgrounds, including a lot of dance pros. Speculating about dance pros' lives is just not the done thing ... at least here. DF is meant to be a community that's accepting of all dancers, including professional or celebrity dancers.

Not trying to pee on anybody's parade, but, if you want to speculate, use the PM function. Just my $0.02.

5. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

People just want to know where the reigning champion is. I think that's it.

6. gracie

gracie Active Member

Yes. That's it. And others who are usually in the top six. Just like you would wonder if a top quarterback missed a game or a famous golfer didn't make a tournament. Of course those would be reported in the national news. In our sport, we can't just listen to a newscast or Google it.

7. fascination

all well and good guys...just saying...even quasi substantiated heresay, harmlessly intended, isn't allowed...as per our guidelines...just as if anyone were speculating on any member we would protect them as well...it is the near occasion of trouble unless it is documented, so plz don't share any hearsay...not disparaging people's motives just pre-emptively noting policy..no harm no foul...thnx

8. gracie

gracie Active Member

You're always very fair, Fasc.

9. fascination

thanks gracie...but really, it isn't about me...just trying to use an ounce of prevention...IME, it is so much better to nip an accident waiting to happen in the bud than have someone accidentally commit a violation and be offended at us for having to moderate them...so it is just a caution...all good :)

10. Rumbagirl

Rumbagirl New Member

I am not sure why the big "to do". Gracie is correct; when you follow a sport and a top player is out, people will ask why. Perhaps someone is hurt, out of the country, etc...but people asking cannot be avoided and is natural especially when they are the reigning champions and just won at USDSC. It was a surprise that they were not there. If you are seriously involved in this sport, it is a legitimate question, not gossipy or looking for heresay. Well, I guess no one knows. At least it sounds like no one is injured which is good.

11. pygmalion

I hear ya, RG, and bottom line is that, whether it's natural to wonder or not, DF is not and never has been a place to wonder out loud about other dancers. Never has been. It's clear in the guidelines and in every moderating precedent for the past almost-decade.

Nobody's assuming negative intent. It's just not a DF thing. Period.

12. pygmalion

That sounds obnoxious and wasn't intended to be.My thought (not speaking for DF but for me) is... try to put yourself in the place of a household name dance pro who's internet savvy. Would you want to find yet another place where tons of unknown strangers were speculating about you?

Of course people want to know, but that doesn't make it their business. That's what press releases are for, IMHO.

13. fascination

and no one has (for one moment) accused the person asking the question of wanting to gossip...again, ahem..if you read my post, the comment was pre-emptive...for very good reason...end story...any need to debate that can go to staff mailbox

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I was curious as to where both those couples were too. But was more than happy to see Their absence help some other couples make finals. :)

15. Rumbagirl

Rumbagirl New Member

I really don't understand where you are coming from. Was not looking for gossip, speculation, who someone is living with, what they ate, where they vacation, etc.. It was a legitimate question that has a legitimate answer. I will easily find out when everyone is back home anyways. As you can see by my number of posts, I am not one to hang out looking for info on forums. My first thought was injury, not gossip. This will be my last post on this.

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

And anyone answering your query was warned that answers should be tech only, no speculation. What's wrong with that?

17. fascination

okay...usaul responses to questions like that can include answers that would not work...am I not speaking in English?...now...let's drop it...if you need policy clarity, that goes to the staff mailbox...not going to debate moderation in the threads, that is also a guidelines issue...end story....

18. Rumbagirl

Rumbagirl New Member

To clarify, my post was in response to Pygmalian, not Fascination. I totally understand why you would want to nip speculation in the bud, etc...and would not want people gossip. Just felt like I was jumped on by asking a question. Truly, I am finished with this.

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Rumbagirl, your question I see was harmless enough. Please don't feel that anyone jumped on you.

Joanna and Jose decided not to attend. Pretty much end of story. No one here knows why or of they do will not be posting the answer.

If J&J have put out an official announcement then we would be happy to repost it. Other than that, general chit chat about what the reasons are tend to take the forum into a bad place, that we are very very wary about and the preemptive strike was not aimed at you, but to the forum as a whole. :)

20. fascination

I think I was extraordinarily clear about my intentions..glad we are now able to move on