Salsa > Which count do I start spinning the girl for ET2?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Istel, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Istel

Istel New Member

Hi all,

I've some questions about when to multi-spin the followers for ET2.

I know the prep for multi-spinning the followers is on the 6,7 but when do I actually start spinning the girl?

My Instructor asked me to only start spinning the girl on count 2.
    Whereas most of the videos clips I've seen at Mamboston2, the lead seems to be spinning the girl on count 1.

So should I start spinning the girl on 1 or should I start spinning her on 2?

2. yola

yola New Member

single spin: 2
    double: still 2
    tripple: maybe start sooner.
    the more spins you do (in 1 measure) the sooner you start. most important is to end your spinning in time so that the girl is able to take the backstep on 6.

3. Istel

Istel New Member

I was thinking isn't that a little inconsistent as compared to on1.

Still, thanks a lot yola :)

4. salsaverde

salsaverde New Member

In my experience, for a double spin when dancing ET On 2, leads start the first spin on beat 1, and depending on how fast the follower is (and whether the follower is doing a paddle-type spin, using her left leg to gain momentum, or a more quick spin), will start the second spin on beat 2 or 3. Follower, if does her double spin over beats 1-2, and 3-4 will land back in position on beat five, ready to step back on beat 6.

Hope that helps

5. smooth_criminal

smooth_criminal New Member

It is consistent. When on1, you start spinning her on the 4th or on the 5th count finishing on the 7th, which translates to the 1st or 2nd count and finishing on the 4th when on2.

6. pielcanela

pielcanela New Member

I am so confused now with ON2 .... I was/am thinking that dancing On2 is simply starting the dance " the basic" one count late -- so sorry for lack of better term -- so I was just planing to do all my leading just one count "late". so for a spin I would prep on 234 and have the lady do the spin in 678. ( in On1- I would prep on 123 and the spin in 675 -- I hope I was doing it right)

so if On2 the spins start in 123 -- then should I be prep in 678 ??

7. BugBear

BugBear New Member

:confused:
    I am cofused with On1 and On2 too. I have actually never heard of them. I guess that the teaching method here in Bulgaria differs.
    Can anyone give me a link to a thread where the differences are discussed or should i start a new thread.
    Sorry 'bout the off-topic

8. Ellis

Ellis New Member

There are plenty of resources online that discuss on2.

As long as the style and timing you are learning is what is popular where you dance, don't worry about it until you have climbed to the heady-heights of the advanced dancer and want something new to learn.

9. smooth_criminal

smooth_criminal New Member

Basically the steps and moves you do on the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th etc counts of the music when dancing on1 (the way you dance Cuban or LA), are done on the 2nd 3rd 4th 5th etc counts when dancing on2 (also called Mambo or New York style).

For example - on1 you break on the 1st count, on2 - you break on the 2nd; on1 you pause on the 4th count, on2 you pause on the 5th count; on1 the lady spins on 567, on2 - she spins on 678.

Check out these two diagrams:

dancefreak.com/images/one.gif
    dancefreak.com/images/two.gif