Tango Argentino > Which dance do you dance besides tango most frequently?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by opendoor, Jul 24, 2012.

?

Which dance do you dance besides TA most frequently?

1. only argentine tango

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. internatinal/ american ballroom

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. flamenco

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ballett/ modern dance

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. salsa/ caribbean stuff

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. contact impro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. swing/ blues and the like

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  8. country/ balfolk/ folklore

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. hip-hop/ break dance / industrial

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. other

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Sorted in the order of my opinion. And please could you specify "other"?

only tango
    internatinal/ american ballroom
    flamenco
    ballett/ modern dance
    salsa/ caribbean stuff
    contact impro
    swing/ blues and the like
    country/ balfolk/ folklore
    hip-hop/ break / industrial
    other

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

other = fandango ;)

3. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Argentine folklore.

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I do "country" two times a week.

It think you are aware of this already, OD, but others may not be.

Here in the US, "country" includes all of the following, and probably others depending where you are: Two Step, Waltz, West Coast Swing, Nite Club 2 Step, Schottische, Cowboy Cha Cha, Horse Shoe, "Cowboy Swing," and line dances of which there are MANY. "Two Step" can include a "double" or "triple" two step.

So, "country" is not a venue where you do a single dance. I like that a lot. (sorta like the 3 "different" dances you get at a milonga)

5. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I picked other. Whatever you call the dance you do to rock music.

;)

6. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Don't get around much anymore...

I used to do lots of Swing, Ragtime, Contra, Blues, Waltz, various etceteras.

7. jantango

jantango Active Member

A Sunday evening milonga at Lo de Celia includes the following from 6:15 to midnight:

tango
    vals
    milonga
    Tropical at 8:30 (salsa, cumbia, merengue)
    Chacarera and Paso Doble at 9:30
    Foxtrot or Dixieland jazz (2) and Rock 'n' roll (2) at 10:30pm
    Tropical at 11:00pm

I dance everything except Paso Doble.

8. I danced house/techno/drum and bass for 20 years before I transitioned to tango and still go on occasion. I also did a little Eastcoast and Westcoast swing two years ago.

9. pascal

pascal Active Member

No multiple choice poll ?

10. guysanddolls

guysanddolls New Member

most recently more lindy/swing because of accessibility,
    but really a int'l latin dancer at heart =]

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Thunderbolts and lightning!

12. plugger

plugger Member

West Coast Swing: So different from tango but so related. The dance expresses the music. The lady has great freedom to create. Connection is everything. Wonderful "high" when everything works. How could two dances be more alike?

samina likes this.
  13. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

West Coast...what plugger said. Also ballroom and country.

14. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

None of the WCS dancers I know in this part of the US consider it part of country or do other country dances. They are more likely to do other swing dances or Latin.

Maybe it's because it is primarily danced here to blues music which no one would consider country at all. (remember the Blues Brothers trying to play at the country bar?) A variation might be jazz music.

Country Waltz might be considered part of country, but American and Viennese waltzers will also do it, so it it also part of the category of "Waltz". Many of the male country dancers stick to country 2 step and that sort of thing and get stymied by 3/4 tempo. Guys who wouldn't DREAM of "dancing" will do country 2-step.

15. Steve Pastor

None of the WCS dancers I know in this part of the US consider it part of country or do other country dances.

Well, on the other hand there is the history of the thing, which I know most people are unaware of.
    One of the often told stories about Bob Wills, who led his Texas Playboys for decades, is that he rode a mule 20 miles to hear Bessie Smith, and was exposed to blues when playing and working alongside blacks, his only neighbors at one point early in his life. Wills played lots of blues songs as part of what is now called Western Swing. Wills and other Western Swing outfits played for thousands of people in Los Angeles in the 40s and 50s. Although there is no smoking gun that "Western Swing" the dance had anything to do with "Western Swing" the precursor of West Coast Swing, it's certain that "country" people danced swing to that music. (More in the original musc thread!)

Before Wills there was Jimmie Rodgers, who was recording blues since to dawn of recorded country music. (His records sold in the "race" market, too, accroding to the authro of "Leaving the Delta...")
    Then there was Hank Williams who did tons of blues.

I've started a list of blues recorded by "country and western" musicians with the gola of having at least one per year.

It WAS a funny scene. Too bad they didn't know any Hank.

So, this must be something else I do besides AT, teach myself about music from the 40s and 50s with a focus on LA.

16. Steve Pastor

Another dance I very recently became fascinated with, on a limited scale, is tap. This because of Fred Astaire in the "Bojanlges of Harlem" number in Swing Time. Copyright issues have kept it off of YouTube. Fred does some stuff I want to teach myself.

17. Zoopsia59

I agree that some country music, or at least some country artists, was (were?) influenced by blues, but I don't think you could say the reverse holds true... Neither Delta blues nor Chicago blues were influenced by country music. That it gets played in country venues on the west coast is a separate thing. All I was saying was that HERE in MY part of the US (not on the west coast) West Coast Swing dancers tend to be swing dancers and to some extent Latin or Ballroom dancers, not country dancers AFAIK.

But maybe that's because the WCS dancers I actually KNOW attend those other dances and I don't attend country dances (although country does get played at ballroom dances). I do know a few guys (non-dancer types) who will go to a country dance and do 2-step, but they won't being doing anything else, and they wouldn't DREAM of attending any other kind of dance. (After all, real men don't dance, right?)

So I was quibbling with your assertion that "In the US" (etc) as though all of the US is the same in these things. Clearly it isn't.

18. Zoopsia59

"We've got BOTH kinds here.. Country AND Western!"

Still cracks me up. (I've actually been to small southern bars like that one, though they didn't have chicken wire across the stage!)

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  19. Zoopsia59

embarrassing?

20. Zoopsia59

My favorite dance is Viennese Waltz, but I rarely get to do it even when I go to a ballroom dance.

Aside from AT, the dancing I do most is probably ballet & jazz, but in the form of classes, not performance. For social dancing, I'll do any ballroom, latin or East coast swing dance that gets played at a milonga. I don't go out to ballroom dances anymore.

I would like to learn quickstep. I've tried to learn WCS and I have trouble with the push-pull thing, which is probably why I also have trouble with colgadas. WCS is the only dance I can't follow even at a beginner level. All the other dances I follow pretty well with only basic instruction (Chalk that up to learning to follow in AT!)