Tango Argentino > Which emotions to express?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tido, Jun 10, 2010.

1. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Emphasizing the connection and not the steps, more weight sharing, more slow simple steps, more pauses. Basically the walking hug thing.

2. tanjive

tanjive New Member

Personally I do not tend to consciously think of the emotion of the song. I think about interpreting the energy of the dance. Less of actually thinking the better really. Maybe it is just word semantics.

Many milongas are quick and light and tend to have a fun spirit, or high energy. One song with bird tweets makes me smile and laugh a bit. I don't think I must act happy to those and really sad to others. My movements are with the sympathy of the tune.

Others particularly some sung tunes have a very funeral durge feel which is lacking in energy. In the same way you do not run around a funeral grinning, my movements are slower more understated. Sometimes I feel a little sadder after those tandas. Am I trying to act and feel sad, no. Hopefully I came away with feeling I enjoyed the dance and being connected to the person through synchonicity. I don't want to end the song depressed and then want to leave.

However as someone who cannot understand the Spanish lyrics I do loose a little knowledge and channel of interpretation. Othe times I feel it is better I do not as I guess some have lyrics that are not in keeping to the spirit/energy of the song. Black humour over a sad musical tune.

3. mshedgehog

mshedgehog New Member

Interesting idea from captain jep there.

I think the process of turning a painful emotion into music has a function, it expresses it in a way that is empathic but not painful. E lucevan le stelle for example is a very sad song but that doesn't mean it doesn't make you happy to listen to it sung really well.

So there is more to it than dancing emotion in a literal way.

What nobody has brought out yet is the distinction between that and bringing something else - from your day or whatever - into the dance. I'm not sure that that's what you want - you wouldn't want to be dancing in an angry way because you had a bad day at work. But still, you do bring that emotion with you, and the process of dancing helps to transform and overwhelm it with whatever comes from the music and the partner.

But you might find some music is better than other music for that. For example my current teacher finds dancing to Biagi very good for dispelling a bad temper, and dancing with her under those conditions is a lot of fun.

4. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Active Member

I agree with mkjohnson's post. Very nicely written...

Good point, Steve. I think this can't be emphasized enough. Your focus should be on finding a way to use the music as a bridge to conversing with your partner. You won't necessarily have the same feeling and expression, but you can still exchange ideas and explore each other's experience and find which ways you are able to connect. But if you plow ahead with what you think the music is saying and don't pay attention to whether your partner is getting it, to me there's something wrong. That would be like having a one-sided conversation without caring whether the other person is interested in what you have to say or whether they also have an opinion on the subject. To me connection and musicality should be the main focus. If you are authentic with those two things (along with your movement choices), I think the emotion will just flow naturally as you get more experience and grow. Of course there will still be those challenging dances where your partner doesn't seem to acknowledge the connection (i.e., you) or the music, but let's just happily pretend that such a thing never occurs. :)

5. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Yeah... I don't really think about it. I just dance and whatever needs to be expressed by my soul is either expressed or not, depending on other more technical factors (such as whether I'm struggling to follow)

6. Zoopsia59

I find it more important to connect to my partner than the music. If the song is moody, but for some reason he's in a silly mood, then I'll play along. It makes for a rather weird dance to ignore the mood of the leader while expressing an emotion in the music, especially if you don't even feel the emotion in the music anyway. The music couldn't care less if I ignore it.. the person I'm dancing with usually cares quite a bit if I ignore him. (that said, I do find it very difficult to ignore the music completely... it works out much better when the leader and the music both mesh with something that I can feel too)

7. Zoopsia59

Hey, wait a minute... Didn't you start this thread? :p

8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I'm reminded of the description of Van Gogh's work from that Doctor Who episode a couple of weeks back:

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

"He transformed the pain of his tormented life into ecstatic beauty. Pain is easy to portray, but to use your passion and pain to portray the ecstasy and joy and the magnificence of our world... no one had ever done it before."

he's a bloody rubbish Dr Who then; how about the MArtyrdom of San Sebastian by Perugino
    ( and countless others); religious ecstasy was a common renaissance theme.

And Vogh's paintings arnt about that. Or were you being ironic DB?

I suspect someone had been tinkering with the script; what he should have said was: but about Davros and the Daleks

"He transformed the pain of his tormented life into ecstatic beauty. Pain is easy to portray, but to use your passion and pain to portray the ecstasy and joy and the magnificence of world domination . no one had ever done it before."

10. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Sacrilege! There's no such thing as a rubbish Dr Who; some are merely more brilliant than others.

The point was that portraying ecstasy through pain was unusual.

No, just trying to use that description - which may or may not be correct, I don't care - to describe a concept.

You heretic you.

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Matt Smith is like a happy clappy vicar; absolute rubbish and he's trying to emulate, sorry imitate, Tennant and failing

IT wasnt or isnt....

you are too kind..