Salsa > Which foot is your 'primary' one?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by salsachinita, Aug 2, 2004.

1. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

This morning my podiatrist asked me a question which got me thinking :? .

"Which foot is your 'primary' (ie. the one you used most) one?"

I've always thought (at least from a follower's perspective) it would be the right one. I think I use the right one as the pivot of my turns/spins, therefore taking more pressure. It is also the side that kicks/flicks forward.

Now here is the questionable part: my sore foot is actually the left one :shock: .

He then wanted to know what I used the left foot for (to figure out why it was in the condition it is).........

I think I used the left side mainly as a bit of a styling tool. One of my signature moves is a dip with raised left leg......or I kick up my left leg if the music calls for it.

So what do you guys think? Which leg/foot bears more burden? Is it different for leads and follows? Is it a personal preference issue, or is it the nature of salsa?

2. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

My dance shoes tell me it's the right -- the right shoe always grazes and wears faster. I do think it's the nature of salsa.

I've heard that most right-handed people are naturally left-footed, and vice versa. If wonder if this is true?

3. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Hmmm... I'll think about it! Have never actually considered it from this viewpoint!

4. Sabor

Sabor New Member

the fourth or fifth one.. not sure

5. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:idea: Could it be the 7th or 8th one, Senor Pulpo.... :wink: ?

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Never thought of it. :? Will see what happens tomorrow night as that is when I do the most abuse to my feet. First rueda practice from 7:15 to ten, followed by latin dance night from 10:00 to 1;30, then after partey....

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:? I've honestly never thought about it -- I just assumed handedness and "footedness" (That's not a word, is it? :oops: :lol:) were on the same side. Methinks it's time to google, yet again. :wink:

8. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Depends on what I'm doing... my strongest leg is my left, but when I need to quickness, or spin my right leg usually leads... I use both legs about the same when dancing though... what ever leg I happen to get "caught" doing something that is te one I'll use...

9. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Think... contrabody motion??? maybe???

It's all neurology.

10. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a true right-sided person. Everything is done with the right so when dancing, my right foot swells from time to time.

11. Cats

Cats New Member

I'm right footed. One time an instructor taught me a jump double left spin turn that is great for ending a shine sequence. It took forever to practice it without falling down. It never occurred to me to try a jump double right until recently but it was a lot easier.

How to execute the the jump double left/right turn

1) Before you start make sure you know where the nearest hospital emergency room is.

2) Jump onto the leg you are going to double turn on, Make sure that leg is bent.

3) Pray

4) Start the turn only using only your shoulders. The shoulders should lead the hips. This is called a body isolation.

5) Turn only on the ball of your foot. DO NOT DROP BACK ONTO YOUR HEEL. If you do see step 1, it's too late for step 3.

6) If you still have your balance and a little momentum after the second turn you can go around a third time by twisting your shoulders again.

>^..^<

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Cool description of that sequence, Cats... especially the praying part! :wink: 8)

13. Vin

Vin New Member

Thanks cats, I am definitely going to try and learn the jump double left spin.
    For me I definitely abuse my left foot more when dancing.

14. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

For partnering, it would be my right foot. Esp. since I like those 180's (some people call them 360's or travelling inside turn or rotating CBL).

For shines it would be my left heel since I like sticking in a left heel twist quite often.

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

My right foot. That's my primary one. I need to work on getting my left side to do that latin motion, styling etc! :oops: