Tango Argentino > Videos > Which is it -- social or salon for exhibition?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by jantango, Apr 10, 2013.

1. jantango

jantango Active Member

2. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

You purposely posted this video to incite us. Afros are NOT conducive to close embrace! And that's the only thing I want to comment on right now.

TemptressToo likes this.
  3. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

Social or salon for exhibition...I don't know.

It was, to me, unmusical and not terribly good. It may be just me, but the dance should be different when the notes pass slowly and when they move quickly. The same plodding motions are not appropriate in fast passages. One does not have to cover lots floor space to move actively and dramatically. When the music is fast and invigorating, reflect it!. Just the first thought that came to mind...

bordertangoman likes this.
  4. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Neither.

5. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

That guy in the blue shirt - the one with the ray gun - should have pulled the trigger. ;)

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I´m surprized that Susana Miller closes with an open foot angle!

7. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

I think that was deliberately slowing down things to illustrate some finer points after a lesson with students (or trying to "feel" if the partner was doing things right).

I don't think it's fair to diss someone for things like that, since then it's not _meant_ to be a dance, but an illustrative demonstration.

8. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

Fair enough. I just watched a bit in YouTube and it says "Seminario de Pugliese", so OK. In answer to jantango's question, you are right - it's neither.

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

goodness! the leader's hand moved more than anything else!! It must have been like dancing with a large spider on your back. and so high..on the follower's shoulder.

I think I agree with the some of the above comments; neither. But as Sixela surmises it is a demonstration of something....

10. jantango

jantango Active Member

Gavito?

11. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

So you think he is doing what Gavito did? But when Gavito did it, he actually called it "dancing". (Did Petroleo learn to dance from Gavito?)

The open floor, the attire of the audience, and the excessive media luna's indicate they are attempting a performance of sorts, one with "feeling". I get a feeling too, but it's making me puke. :D

12. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Yes, the embrace looked very uncomfortable, and presumably, it was.

It surprised me to see such a prominent V in the embrace. Perhaps that was down to the height difference between them, as much as anything, but it is not the shape I associate with SM.

13. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Nor do I, I also wondered about her feet (s.ob), that once was kind of heigh treason for any Almagro-stylist. Or is her flag now also fluttering in the wind?

14. jantango

jantango Active Member

See any similarity?

15. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

The video contains content from The Orchard Music, Warner Chappell and EMI, one or more of whom have blocked it in my country on copyright grounds. But I've seen Gavito dance before and I t looks very similar. He goes through patterns and chains them.

16. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

My back was starting to hurt just watching the position she had to have her right arm in 1/2 the time because of how he used his other arm (his left). If the leader holds his arm that far forward of his own shoulder, there's no way the follower can comfortably maintain a flat-on parallel close embrace. She either needs to open on her right side into a V, open into parallel OE, or forcefully push her arm forward until it is at least in line with her shoulder and hope he gets the point.

I've danced with enough leaders who hold their left arm that far forward of their own body to have found out the hard way that it will leave me with a terrible pain in my shoulder blade area the next day if I try for "milonguero" with them.

As for it being a demo... well, maytbe it was intended to be a demo of certain finer points about some specific moves, but the finer points (heck.. even the broader points) of physical connection/position and musicality got completely lost!

I held in there for about 2/3rds and then couldn't take any more. It felt so lifeless, making the element of vicarious physical discomfort completely not worth it.

tangomonkey likes this.
  17. Zoopsia59

See my post about the leader's left arm. She would have to open into a V, but frequently she still seemed to have her shoulder blade pinched (contracted) from her arm being slightly behind her.

(although, I admit, it's hard to tell all the time because of her black outfit and hair and the general lighting.)

18. Zoopsia59

I can't watch it either, but I don't remember ever feeling any video I saw of Gavito feeling lifeless like this one.

19. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Well, it wasn't Gavito performing (and as I said, I don't think it was a performance at all.)

20. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

OH MY GOD.... that wasn't a man!:eek: That was a woman...:oops:

Well, at least she's doing what is taught in classes.

And it wasn't an afro, she just had puffy permed curly hair.