Tango Argentino > Which NYC milonga on Wednesday?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by jhpark, May 24, 2006.

1. jhpark

jhpark Member

There seems to be 2-3 options or so. Which one will have the most dancers, hopefully intermediate to advanced? I want to dance with people who are better than I am ;)

2. AATanguera

AATanguera New Member

The options on Wednesday in NYC are just okay. It is not the best Argentine tango night of the week. The dancing can be thin on Wed. The problem with multiple options is that the community gets split up and all of the most experienced dancers don't end up at the same place.

Lafayette Grill is a nice restaurant space in the City Hall area that is somewhat empty at night. The hosts -- Karina Romero & Dardo Galleto -- are an extremely friendly couple.

Dancesport is a dance studio near the Time Warner center. I have never danced there so I can't say if it is any good on a Wed.

Tango Cafe is at Empire Dance Studios and attracts a younger crowd, and from a recent report from a friend, the crowd was doing more nuevoish dancing. I haven't been there on a Wed.

In my opinion, the best dancing and the largest crowds are on (1) Mondays at the LUNA milonga at Dance Manhattan, (2) the second Saturday of the month at Stepping Out Studio's All Night Milonga, (3) Thursdays at La Nacional (later is better), (4) Saturday afternoons at Chelsea Market (Spring-Fall, after 6:00 is better), (5) Saturday evenings at Central Park (starting next week - Summer to Fall), and (6) Sunday evenings at the South Street Seaport (later is better, attracts a huge crowd, but the planks are very slippery). I think these milongas tend to attract a wider selection of the NYC crowd as opposed to other venues that may attract an older couples crowd or a students-of-a-particular-studio crowd.

Enjoy.

3. jhpark

jhpark Member

I was already thinking of going to La Nacional on Thursday around 11pm or so... I enjoy swing dancing as well, and Thursday is a great night for swing, so I've got to balance that out also.

The Empire one on Wed sounds interesting because I'd probably fit in with the younger crowd, but I'm not sure if my style is nuevo-ish or not. I've only been doing this for a year, so I haven't really tried to develop a particular style yet...

What kind of crowd was at Lafayett Grill, numbers wise?

Thanks for the feedback!

4. tangoaddict

tangoaddict New Member

I am soooo envious! Where I live, I'm lucky if there is a milonga once a month - and it is attended by about fifteen people - mostly beginners! Oh, to be in NYC.
    Enjoy

5. AATanguera

AATanguera New Member

From a quick poll of some friends who go to Lafayette Grill on Wed, it seems like the milonga attracts a broad range of dancers -- from younger to older, and intermediate and advanced -- with 20-30 persons in the room, perhaps more if there are performances scheduled by local favorites.

As to La Nacional on Thurs, 11:00 pm is a good time to show up. I used to take the class before the milonga but I stopped because the level of dancers is spotty. However, the teachers are usually all very good and teach good material. If you have time, the restaurant downstairs has fabulous paella. Check out reviews of the paella at the New York Times website.

Have lots of great dances!

6. jhpark

jhpark Member

Thanks for the input! I'm going to go to NYC Thursday morning and then go to La Nacional at night, after a little bit of swing dancing. Looking forward to it.

It looks like there's a tango festival in July, I'll probably make my way up for that too

Thanks again!

7. standardnut

standardnut Member

Also, try Dance Studio 101 at 101 Lafayette St, 2nd Fl. They have a Milonga on Wed from 9pm-midnight and its $10.

8. jhpark

jhpark Member

I might be back in town Tuesday night and Wednesday night next week. I've seen a calendar, but was wondering if the recommendations already given earlier in this thread may have changed.

There are two choices on Tuesday... Triangulo and Il Campanello... recommendations?

Also multiple dances on Wednesday again

Thanks!

9. AATanguera

AATanguera New Member

NYC Milongas

Try to make it in tonight. One of the best & biggest regular milongas of the week is "LUNA" at Dance Manhattan, one of the larger (if not the largest) regular dance floors in the city. Also the other great milonga is the 2nd Sat monthly milonga, the All Night Milonga at Stepping Out. Come back for that. Stepping Out also has a large smooth dance floor and the All Night Milonga attracts lots of advanced dancers from a large section of the community. If you're in on Sat and want to tango all day long, check out Mariela Franganillo's practica at Dance Manhattan from 11-2 where the music is good, Mariela teaches two short lessons of nice steps for social dancing, and the crowd is fairly advanced. In my opinion, Mariela is the most elegant dancer in the US. Then go to Chelsea Market and dance for free from about 4:30 to 7:45. Eat dinner, recover, and then go to the All Night Milonga and dance until 5 or 6 am.

For Tuesday, Triangulo attracts the younger crowd. A lot of teachers head there late in the evening. Robin Thomas DJs there. La Boca skews towards an older/couples crowd. When famous performers or local favorites perform or teach at La Boca, it can attract a large crowd, but on a regular night, I'd go to Triangulo over La Boca. Both are relatively small to moderate sized dance floors.

Wednesday is not the best night for tango in NYC. I don't normally go out on Wed, which seems to be a cursed night in NYC. Many milongas have started and failed. Empire has been experimenting with its traditional & alternative mix of music as a milonga for those who like both types of music. I don't have any personal experience on Empire on Wed so I can't say yes or no. Lafayette Grill is VERY hit or miss on Wed. I've been there before, but I haven't been back in a while. I just don't tango on Weds.

Let me know if you're ever in town on a Monday night or for the All Night Milonga so we can dance.

Happy dancing.

10. AATanguera

AATanguera New Member

NYC Milongas

Try to make it in tonight. One of the best & biggest regular milongas of the week is "LUNA" at Dance Manhattan, one of the larger (if not the largest) regular dance floors in the city. Also the other great milonga is the 2nd Sat monthly milonga, the All Night Milonga at Stepping Out. Come back for that. Stepping Out also has a large smooth dance floor and the All Night Milonga attracts lots of advanced dancers from a large section of the community. If you're in on Sat and want to tango all day long, check out Mariela Franganillo's practica at Dance Manhattan from 11-2 where the music is good, Mariela teaches two short lessons of nice steps for social dancing, and the crowd is fairly advanced. In my opinion, Mariela is the most elegant dancer in the US. Then go to Chelsea Market and dance for free from about 4:30 to 7:45. Eat dinner, recover, and then go to the All Night Milonga and dance until 5 or 6 am.

For Tuesday, Triangulo attracts the younger crowd. A lot of teachers head there late in the evening. Robin Thomas DJs there. La Boca skews towards an older/couples crowd. When famous performers or local favorites perform or teach at La Boca, it can attract a large crowd, but on a regular night, I'd go to Triangulo over La Boca. Both are relatively small to moderate sized dance floors.

Wednesday is not the best night for tango in NYC. I don't normally go out on Wed, which seems to be a cursed night in NYC. Many milongas have started and failed. Empire has been experimenting with its traditional & alternative mix of music as a milonga for those who like both types of music. I don't have any personal experience on Empire on Wed so I can't say yes or no. Lafayette Grill is VERY hit or miss on Wed. I've been there before, but I haven't been back in a while. I just don't tango on Weds.

Let me know if you're ever in town on a Monday night or for the All Night Milonga so we can dance.

Happy dancing.

11. jhpark

jhpark Member

oh, thanks for the feedback AATanguera. When I posted this I was hoping for a response from you.

Thankfully, it looks like I won't have to travel this week. Which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned...

12. jhpark

jhpark Member

Any recommendations for NYE? There are two milongas that night, one by Dance Manhattan, the other by La Nacional at Stepping Out Studios... ?

13. AATanguera

AATanguera New Member

I went to both last year to check out the scene. If both events attract the same crowds, I'd go to Stepping Out.

There was a huge New Year's Eve crowd at Dance Manhattan (DM) last year but it seemed to have attracted a LOT of non-dancers or newbie types who wanted to try something new for the new year. After midnight last year, I hiked over to Stepping Out where it was all of the regular crowd of tango dancers and had great dances for the rest of the night.

Don't know yet if LUNA, the regular DM Monday night milonga, will be open on Jan 1, but if yes, New Year's Eve at Stepping Out and then LUNA on Monday would be the best two days of tango for the last and first day of the year.

14. The Tango Addict

The Tango Addict New Member

There are two practicas, Dance Manhattan and Dance Sport but I love the floor at 101 Lafayette... there's the Corazon milonga with DJ Yesim. I would say DS or 101 Lafayette for weds.

15. TangoAnyone

TangoAnyone New Member

I read this post about November 2008. One year later (Nov 2009) I believe there are quite a few very nice Milongas in NYC. For those of us from NJ, on Wednesdays there is Milonga del Encanto in Belleville, NJ. There is also a Monthly Milonga in Red Bank, one Wednesday a month. Firehouse is a nice place on Thursday night. And there seem to be more and more in both NYC and NJ, these days...