Tango Argentino > Which tango style do you do?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by blue, Mar 12, 2005.

?

What style of tango do you (mostly) do?

1. Milonguero

100.0%
  2. Salon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Tango nuevo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Huh? Argentine, I don't really know what these terms mean

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Argentine. I find those distinction between tango styles artificial.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. European (ballroom) tango

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Finnish tango

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. blue

blue New Member

What style of tango do you (mostly) do?

(To vote, click the circle before the relevant alternative and then click "Submit Vote".)

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

No idea blue, no idea at all. :? I'm not sure if I even do tango whne I dance. :oops: :? :oops: :)

3. blue

blue New Member

I voted "salon". I'm not sure I am being taught a specific style at all, but if it's not distinctly milonguero I guess I call it salon.

4. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

I dance everything. The different styles developed in conjunction with the different styles of music, and social settings of the dance parties, etc. Club style (confiteria) developed in the coffee houses, has a quick bright tempo, but is very tight and confined, to be able to dance in the tight confined spaces between the little tables in the coffee houses and pastry shops. Milonguero goes with Milonga, and has a more informal feel. Salon feels more elegant, and goes with the slower, more orchestral tangos that you'd hear at an elegant upper class society ball. Fantasia is for show, and developed from people seeing the big stage productions. Nuevo goes with the new music being developed all over the world.

And since the DJ's around here tend to play a mix of all kinds of music (golden age, classic, salon, milonga, nuevo and neo tango) in the course of an evening, you hear all kinds of stuff, and you just have to listen and respond to the music. And best of all, take what you know, listen to the music, and make up something new. Who knows? It just might catch on, and next thing you know, you're visiting a milonga in another part of the world, and there are people dancing "your" tango.

Chacarera is just beginning to catch on here. I'm DYING to learn it. And my friends tell that that the young people in Argentina are reviving canyengue with the zeal of revolutionaries. Canyengue is tons of fun.

Renee

5. blue

blue New Member

Wow, that was many tango styles I never heard of!

I'd say I see some people who think like you, while others are very distinctly milonguero.

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

7. blue

blue New Member

Oh, Peter's sarcasms are getting spread more than just locally 8)

8. Wow! Renee you're quite the guru on Tango. :shock: I've only done the Ballroom variety so far. Just wondering which type is the one that's BTMBS? :wink: (You're description!! :lol: ) Or is that mostly dependant upon the partner? I think I've answered my own question. :lol: