Tango Argentino > Which waltz is it?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by LittleLight, Dec 1, 2010.

1. LittleLight

LittleLight New Member

I competely admit I'm way too ignorant about the music, but I'm trying to rectify that.

I'm looking for the name of a waltz which I really love. It is famous enough, I think. At least I hear it with regularity, but not inevitability, in milongas here.

The main identifying aspect that I can describe is that it is sung by what I think are a man and woman in duet, with the the woman also singing parts of the of verses on her own.

It about medium speed and has a major and a minor part.

One DJ here seems to often put it in a tanda with Desde el Alma, but I don't know if that it is anything to go by. Might just be his choice.

I know it's vague, but on the other hand it isn't obscure, so if anyone can think of a few candidates to at least narrow it down a bit, as I'm going mad just trawling youtube for each and every waltz.

Thanks.

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

3. milongadicto

milongadicto New Member

If it's a male-female duet from a golden age orchestra, it's most likely Donato. Try Volveras pero cuando, Noches correntinas, Estrellita mia, although I think the first two features two male singers (Romeo Gavio and Horacio Lagos) and one female singer (Lita Morales). Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Donato for the most part...

Another solution would be to just ask the DJ. I'm sure he/she will be happy to help. I personally appreciate when people come to ask me the orchestra or the title of the song, because they are actively taking the initiative to educate themselves on the music, and it probably means that they are enjoying the music (because otherwise why would they ask for the song title?).

If you like valses, here are some personal recommendations:
    Tanturi-Castillo: La serenata, Mi romance, Recuerdo, Marisabel
    Biagi: Viejo porton, dichas que vivi, el ultimo adios, Lejos de ti
    D'Arienzo: Pabellon de las rosas, Amor y celos, Lagrimas y sonrisas
    Laurenz w Podesta: Paisaje... strongly recommended htt p://w w w.tangoa ndchao s.or g/chapt _ 4music/23p aisaje.htm <-- just delete the spaces between. for some reason, it won't let me posts links
    D'Agostino: Esquinas portenas
    Calo w Podesta: Bajo un cielo de estrellas, Pedacito de cielo
    De Angelis: Pobre Flor

This is just off the top of my head, and it's also just my personal taste, which you might or might not share... enjoy!

4. LittleLight

LittleLight New Member

Thanks a lot, I found it.

It actually was Flores del Alma, but in a different version from the more traditional one.

I can't post links yet, but if you search Youtube it comes top of the list, with a black and white picture, posted by "Kyrie 19".

As you can hear, this is slower and does have a female vocalist. A comment names the singers as Viviana Vigil and Héctor Pilatti.

I will also check out the other vals recommendations when I have the time.

5. LittleLight

LittleLight New Member

And yes, I *should* and will ask the DJ.

But I'm a bit shy and also, I got home last night thinking Must Have This Vals Now Now Now....;)

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

the male female duet was part of the soundtrack to Saura's tango movie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=887TMiEmwCY

7. 'round Midnight

'round Midnight New Member

That is my favorite version of "Flores de Alma". I love it's simplicity--just a piano and two voices in unison. Sublime. Alas, I don't believe I have ever heard it played at a milonga. :-(

8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

It's a nice version, but for dancing, I prefer the De Angelis version.

9. LittleLight

LittleLight New Member

Wow - in the last milonga the DJ put on this vals, in this version, and then asked me to dance to it. Yay for psychic DJs.

(Even if I didn't impress/bore him by reciting names and surnames of the singers)