Dancers Anonymous > Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Rotate engagement ring so band is on top of finger—BAM, you're married again! :D

IndyLady likes this.
  2. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

LOL, literally.

FWIW, I've noticed I get treated more respectfully when I'm out and about if I have my rings on.

I still haven't found the ring. I'm really hoping it didn't somehow fall down the sink (I doubt it, since I took them off together and put them closer to the wall, not near the sink). If I don't find it and decide to replace it, this will be my third wedding band - the first one is at the bottom of a lake after a tubing incident.

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

WTH? You get a finger torn off by a tow line?

4. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Ha ha, thankfully no. The first time I ever went tubing I did not understand that capsizing was kind of the end goal, not just an accident of people who don't know what they are doing. I foolishly had my wedding band (but not my engagement ring) on. Ring slipped off while I was under water after being ejected from the tube.

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

:D It's funny because it's true. Tubing is an opportunity for the boat driver to show how sadistic they can be.

Loki and IndyLady like this.
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Ugh, comp schedule likely means warming up 3 times... set of 5, 2 and a bit hours off; set of 5, 4 hours off; another set of 5.

This may be an energy management challenge... plus, I really don't want to bring 3 dresses, so have to figure out if I want to wear the same one changing in-and-out 3 times, or if I want to alternate between 2 ('cause I always have a back-up one there, just in case).

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

FF that is ridiculous scheduling !!!! You must come to the US and dance. The organizers would never do that here

8. Mr 4 styles

Light stretch and 20 minutes of cardio between rounds or you will be starting from scratch every time

9. FancyFeet

I'll be competing within sight of the border... literally... but as I'm not crossing it, I get way more bang for my $$! It's a new-to-me comp, but as I understand it, there will be more Americans than Canadians there, and the second scholarship is part of some US circuit. It is indeed a weird schedule.

I'm really just whining as I wrap my head around the unexpected timing. 3 warm-ups it is - probably 1 good one, 1 light one, and another good one. I'll be the dancer napping in the change room or my car between rounds, because I'm not staying on-site. (Seriously, planning to bring a travel pillow, yoga mat and a throw to make myself a comfy nest somewhere quiet for the downtime.)

Hopefully, the organizers will follow through with their commitment to work with me on entry tickets, because they've scheduled my stuff across two sessions - and it's not because I've registered for different styles, levels or age categories.

Purr likes this.
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What makes you think so?

11. Mr 4 styles

Two hours between rounds of singles in the same age? Never seen it

12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

You sure that's two rounds of singles and not a round of singles, a championship and an evening session scholarship? That wouldn't be too out of the ordinary schedule-wise for that for a comp here in the states.

13. Mr 4 styles

Apparently Jude you may be correct

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Hey, what's with O2cm? Servers still down?

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The colocation data center where Mark's server is hosted was hit by the WannaCry attack. He's been rebuilding, but he first spent his time getting the online registration part of o2cm up so comps could keep running. Also, for whatever reason he has no backup of the main (public) pages. I don't know why; he had to rebuild previously—you'd think he'd have learned the redundant backup lesson then.

16. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Thanks, Joe. I see registration is back up.

17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Went walking at lunch at Convention Center...stopped at a Crimson Cup at 12:10 p.m. to get a chai tea..3 women behind the counter...lights are dark...politely ask if they are open...no, one replies, but there's a Starbucks down the way...tell them I've stopped there a couple of times within the last 2 weeks, and they haven't been open then either...unbelievable...if I would have wanted Starbucks, I would have went there to begin with...went to walkup stand at the Hyatt instead...how hard it have been to dispense hot water for tea??!!...and why is a coffee shop closed by noon??!!...not going to attract a consistent customer base that way...disappointed

...and yes, the Hyatt offers Starbucks products, but it's not a Starbucks...Convention Center has a new Starbucks...don't really care for it...Hyatt probably costs more but the customer service is better and generally there's no line...

...did good deed of day...coworker likes honey for his tea...and clerk at Hyatt offered me 2 small jars of honey with my tea...so I left them unopened on coworker's desk...never had clerk offer honey before but filed it for future reference in case I want honey another time

18. FancyFeet

What is with people? There's a dance event in town tomorrow. The organizer just posted an open "help - need a few more volunteers" on FB... I answered that I was free and could give him a couple of hours, as long as he didn't need me there really late. The reply: "Sorry, a couple of hours is not enough. There's a 4-hour minimum."

I'm sorry, what? There are conditions on me helping you out when you are in a jam? Are you short or not? You would rather have no one at all than my help for 2-3 hours?

(I haven't answered yet.)

Sania and IndyLady like this.
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

gotta love it don't ya?...I had this sort of thing this week from a woman who is taking the entire Summer off of her job (which she does poorly) but was defensive the entire time she was explaining it to me (never once expressing any gratitude)...all she could do was bemoan how indispensable she is and how worried she is that those of us who are pitching in while she is gone will screw it up (aka fix it)

20. FancyFeet

Yeah, I don't get it. I do understand minimum shifts when booking volunteers in advance, but when it's the day before and you're desperate enough to be making a public FB plea, well, I think you take what you can get.

I'm proud of me for holding firm. I replied that I can give them 3 hours, and to let me know.

cornutt, Sania and IndyLady like this.