Dancers Anonymous > Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but I begged him to move ages ago. Years. I claim seniority.

Sania likes this.
  2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Y'all are sweet. Alas, the lottery stubbornly refuses to be won by me, and I still have that albatross of a house. Still, getting that house into shape is high on the list of things I'm trying to take care of while I'm on break. Maybe there's a visible future where I'd be able to sell it.

(Although I really do hope you folks find the partners you deserve.)

Sania likes this.
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

So we have an old Altima that has for the past several years been our third car, occasional drive-to-work, landscaping and lumber fetcher, park-at-the-airport car, and backup for when one of the other cars was in the shop. Up until last week, it was running decently; the paint has faded (like all Altimas of that vintage), but the interior is still in good shape and it drove well allowing for the dampers having 18 years and 170,000 miles on them.

The trouble started with a small thing, a week ago. I came home, saw the Altima parked in the driveway like always, and observed that its brake lights were on. A quick inspection revealed that a plastic button attached to the brake pedal arm, which presses on the brake light switch, had finally succumbed to the Alabama heat and was in pieces on the floor. Easy enough problem to fix. I cut a small block of wood, put some J-B Weld on it, put it in place, and left it overnight.

The next evening, I came out to see how it did. It was secure and a few presses on the brake pedal showed that the brake lights were working properly. I started the car and let the engine run for a few minutes to charge the battery. I was about to put it in reverse and drive it up and down the street to check it, when the engine suddenly died and the dashboard went dark. Nothing was working; no lights and it wouldn't crank at all.

I didn't get back to it until Friday afternoon. I connected a battery charger to the car, but the charger refused to start. Hmm, I thought. I had disconnected the battery when the brake lights were on, and I still had the connector on the post loosely, so I pulled it off and connected the charger directly to the battery. It showed the battery as completely dead, but it started charging. I left it to charge for an hour.

When I came back, the charger said it had charged the battery to 75%. That should be enough to start the car, I thought. So I disconnected the charger and went to put the battery cable back on the post... I expected a small spark because there are a few things that are always powered even when the ignition is off, like the clock and the door locks. But when I touched it, it threw a huge hot arc! It burned a spot on my hand and I let go, with the cable on the post. Then smoke started coming out from around the engine somewhere. I grabbed the cable (which was hot) and jerked it off. Subsequent testing with an ohmmeter showed that there is a dead short somewhere in the wiring. I pulled every fuse I could find and it made no difference.

So at this point I'm thinking the short is in either the starter solenoid or the alternator, both of which require a significant amount of disassembly to get at. The car is so old that getting it towed and repaired would probably cost more than the car is worth. By coincidence, we had been discussing the previous week buying a small SUV for me to drive to work 2-3 times a week (so I can cut down on the miles I'm putting on the Porsche), plus do all of the things we were using the Altima for. We had been researching and already had it down to a few Nissan models we wanted to look at -- we've had good luck with Nissans.

So we go to the dealer, and after a few test drives and some rather uncomfortable (for me) negotiating, we make a deal on a Rogue Sport. Problem: The dealer's lot is a zoo; the front part by the road is organized, but in the back behind the service shop they have hundreds of cars parked every which way. They spend an hour looking for the car while we do the paperwork. They can't find it. Finally they decide that it must be in a storage lot that they are renting, down the highway from where the dealership is. So after finishing the paperwork, and a quick tour of the shop (which we've seen before), we wait. And wait.

Finally they come back... they found the car at the storage lot. But the gate is padlocked and nobody has the the key. Apparently they can't get a key from the lot owner until Monday. Le sigh. After nearly four hours at the dealership, we leave with a loaner.

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Carmax.

Purr likes this.
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Hopefully you didn't sign the paperwork.

6. oldtangoguy

oldtangoguy Active Member

<whine>My tango teaching partner is one of the best dancers I've worked with. Light on her feet, extremely responsive to the lead, very precise in her movement. She also was a "professional dancer" in the past, and often dances like a total slut. Although I seem to be the envy of many male dancers (we're just dance partners), and she the victim of snotty remarks from both genders, she is roundly criticized for not taking the dance seriously enough. Even though she is a fanatic about practice, about precision, about capturing the music in her body, and about clarity in our teaching, she has too much fun on the dance floor, and is "distracting". Yes, she occasionally, but only while dancing with me since I get it, batts her eyes (huge false eyelashes) and flirts with another leader through both her eyes and body movement, but what the h#ll. It's a dance. It should be fun. Dance, people. Don't bitch about my partner having a good time.</whine>

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

WTH? I always thought AT was *supposed* to be a slutty dance.

Purr, Joe, RiseNFall and 1 other person like this.
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Ugh, there are 24 multi-day US comps within a 10 hour drive of me... adding that to the Cdn ones with the same distance cut-off, this 2018 research is going to take me approximately FOREVER.

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Cut your drive radius?

10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Just do the big US ones. Let’s go. Out of the little pond missy

11. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

A 10 hour radius opens a few more major cities and puts Ohio in the mix... which is an interesting option. I'm not ready to consider ones that require flying.

Mr. 4, you're not the only one that thinks it's time to stop competing here (*cough - pro - cough*). Cdn comps are in largely for date elimination purposes for pro conflicts, though there are one or two I may do - like nationals, or one that I've enjoyed over the years.

The research spreadsheet already looks impressive, and all I've done is create the filters to narrow the list to comps that will get more attention. Maybe there's something to pro asking me to look into it... :bookworm:

Purr and Mr 4 styles like this.
  12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Whining...credit card got hacked...about $350 worth of fraudulent charges...credit card company assures me I am not responsible...account is closed...new card on the way...have credit monitoring...nothing else amiss, so far...put 90 day fraud alert on credit report...I feel violated...thank you, Equifax

And digital camera turned up missing...hope it turns up...last place I used it was at work...not at work...not in my car...not in my handbag or tote...might be under something at home, I have a pile of stuff out for Halloween...I had a pair of sunglasses missing for a couple of weeks that remarkably showed themselves one evening...camera might do the same...one of my coworkers was huffy this morning about it...he went off like I can't see anyone hear stealing it...I told him I wasn't accusing anyone of stealing...it's just here is the last place I used the camera, to take photos of the Halloween decorations on my door at work...finally told him to please leave me alone...

13. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding dismissive, I think you will be fine and I wouldn't worry too much about this. I recently had a credit card replaced too for fraudulent charges. First time that one has been compromised. Our Chase cards have been replaced so many times for fraudulent charges (I swear we are on our 8th or 9th card for one of the accounts) that it barely fazes us anymore. We've never had issues getting it resolved, it is always quick and routine, this seems to be one of the processes that cc companies have down to "well oiled machine" level.

Purr likes this.
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

It's a sad commentary that it's become routine. That credit card is the only card I have, and moving forward, I won't be using it much.

15. Mr 4 styles

Always have two cards. One for internet purchases one for real world. Oh and use casssshhhhhhhh whenever possible

Purr likes this.
  16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Using cash is my plan. It effectively limits spending: when you run out of cash, you're done.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  17. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

There are now some restaurants around here that won't accept cash - I guess it's cheaper for them and/or eliminates employee theft and/or eliminates the possibility of getting robbed.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

It’s not cheaper. The latter two ideas make sense tho

19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I don't know of any restaurants around here that won't accept cash, but that's not to say there aren't any.

It's not cheaper accepting credit cards only, because there's a fee associated with each transaction.

20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Un whine....digital camera showed itself yesterday evening...it was hiding in my closet in a storage basket...vague recollection of putting it there to keep it away from family member...feel better now...this isn't the first time I've put something somewhere and then forget where I put it...and probably won't be the last

IndyLady likes this.