Dancers Anonymous > Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

No. The reason you need two cards is so that you have another one to use while the other CC company (for the card that got hacked) is mailing you a new one.

Your card can get "hacked" on the intarwebs, or just using it around town.

IndyLady likes this.
  2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

You also need a second card to use when your credit card company decides to put a fraud alert on your card when you try to buy gas 10 minutes from there you live. o_O (I will admit that I was just a tad cranky when I called to see why my card was declined at the gas station.:))

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

One real world only card makes it easier to figure out who hacked you. We had a hotel person use a skimmer on us. The old double swipe it didn’t work the first time trick. We caught them the person was identified and fired and the skimmer was found. This was possible because the real world card is used infrequently

Can’t do that as easy with a billion internet purchases admixed in there

4. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Speaking of credit cards....

The cashier was having difficulty with the cash register and my transaction when I went to Subway today. I thought she cancelled it and just started over, but when I got back to my desk and logged into my credit card account, I see that there are three pending transactions, two for $8 and one for $13 ($8 was the correct total). Sigh. Because I need one other item on my "to-do"list right now.

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Credit card for eight dollars?? Nah

Purr likes this.
  6. IndyLady

I card almost everything. Makes it much easier to track and organize expenses. Sorry not sorry. :p

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Food (meals) and gas are two items I almost always use cash, unless I'm traveling on business. Then I use the approved company card.

8. IndyLady

This deserves its own "whining" thread. I have had soooooooooo many issues with the company card and the expense reporting system.

9. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Anyone has opinions on debit cards? It's my preferred method to pay, and as I understand it, they have the same protections as credit cards.

10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

We had something weird. We got a bill last month for an AT&T Wireless account that we never signed up for. All of our info on the bill was correct except for the phone number, which was not ours. I tried calling the number and got an intercept saying it was not in service. The next Saturday, a DirectTV tech shows up at our house Saturday morning to install a dish. We didn't order that either. A number of phone calls and one complaint to the Alabama Attorney General's office later, I think I've got it straightened out with no money out of my pocket.

Not sure if I should attribute it to Equifax, or to the Office of Personnel Management hack last year. Our fraud protection that Uncle Sam paid for on that expired just before all this started.

11. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I get points on my cards, not on my debit card, so that's why I don't use it for purchases. I think they have the same protections, however.

12. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Good point about the points- I do find it painful to keep track of my credit card charges, and risk paying interest- with debit card, it comes off my checking account, so easier to manage

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

But debits come right out of your bank account. If there's fraud and someone buys a $3000 Coachella ticket on your debit card and you need to make a mortgage payment the next day, what do you do?

Loki and RiseNFall like this.
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

It's tedious filing a travel voucher, for sure. I allow for dedicated time returning from travel to file, and I make sure to keep all my authorizations and receipts. I have a few minor errors now and again, but for the most part I've got the system down.

And, I don't use the credit card for anything but approved travel expenses, and even then I might pay cash for things like meals and gas. We've had so many people get into trouble for abusing their card privileges, and I don't intend to be one of them.

15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

The federal government offers up to 10 years identify protection coverage for impacted employees. One vendor lost a contract around December 2016, so if you had that vendor you need to sign up for the other vendor. The information is on the OPM cybersecurity website.

I'm losing track of all the hacks and data breaches - Target, OPM, wasn't there one for Anthem BCBS, and now Equifax.

cornutt likes this.
  16. IndyLady

In theory I don't mind filing expense reports (I'm very organized wrt paperwork and such). Our travel and expense reporting system just has a bunch of ridiculous nuances and hang-ups. It spits out some dire "violation" warning that you have to click through multiple times if you are booking a flight but not a hotel room through the system (which is generally the case, since I am attending conferences with a group rate that cannot be obtained through our system). And you literally have to click through 3-4 extra screens to finalize a flight booking (which I found out the hard way once after a flight was not booked... it sent me a warning at 10 pm that I had until midnight to complete the booking... which I obviously didn't see until I logged in the next day). Also, I've had a couple instances where I received a refund on the company card after the expense report had already been filed (once for a taxi long-haul complaint, once for a cancelled seminar fee) - but you cannot file an expense report with a negative balance, so it hangs out there indefinitely and sends e-mail reminders periodically. I only travel once a year and have professional dues at the end of the year, so there is rarely anything to net against those refunds. It's also a royal PITA to split the expense reporting if you stayed an extra night on your own dime, for example - because you're not supposed to use the company card for personal expenses, but it is absolutely required for any hotel stays or they won't reimburse you.

I realize none of these things in isolation sounds like a big deal, but in totality, it makes things much more annoying and complicated than it ought to be. It's way worse than it was a decade or more ago, when as long as you kept all your receipts and submitted a timely report, it was very straightforward and relatively painless. This is just another one of those things where instead of making progress and getting better over time, we've regressed.

17. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

If H5N6 doesn't get you, H7N9 will?

18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

H4N2 will definitely get you.

19. IndyLady

So, these charges FINALLY cleared on my cc today (exited from "pending" limbo). Returned to Subway, they refunded the $21 in cash and even gave me a free cookie. :D

(I'm sad to say that was pretty much the sole positive thing about this day.)

20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I'm with Joe on the debit cards. Or at least I wouldn't tie it to my main bank account, maybe a low balance account and use it like a prepaid card.

Protections or not, if you're hacked and they drain all your cash, what do you do until the bank corrects the situation?

Dunno, maybe things are different now, but I use credit or cash.

Joe likes this.