Salsa > Who Actually Lets The Music Dictate How U Dance Salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Salcero, May 12, 2006.

1. Salcero

Salcero Member

I guess we know that those romantic salsa songs are usually danced On1, salsa dura is typically danced On2, and when you hear that Timba get the Rueda circle going. I only like to dance On2 so I tend to go to settings where music conducive to dancing On2 is played. Somewhere there must be people that go to places where all types of salsa is played and they let the music dictate how they dance salsa? Or, is this just the theory of how it should work?

2. azzey

azzey Member

I let the music dictate how I dance Salsa but just choosing which beat to dance on, or which style to dance to (Cuban, LA, NY or PR) or pace (slow, medium, fast) or mood (romantic, frantic, or playful) is such a narrow view of how to dance TO THE MUSIC still!

What about all those beats in between?

3. Josh

Josh Active Member

salsa dura typically danced on the 2? :confused:

4. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

likewise, romantic songs typically danced on 1?
    :headwall:
    Jeni

5. Big10

Big10 Member

Everything should be danced On1! (except for most Cha-Cha's) :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, I personally prefer to dance all of my Salsa (whether romantic, dura, or Timba) songs On1. However, that doesn't limit me from making significantly different changes within the context of the music. The changes I make are in relation to my body movement, the number of spins, and simply changing the pace to match the tempo of the song.

6. africana

africana New Member

we have certain DJs that stick to "on2 music" especially at socials so of course I prefer to almost exclusively dance on2. but in the end it depends on what the lead is most competent with, whether on1 or on2, or on3...it makes a huge diff on how enjoyable the dance is
    When I go to cuban/timba/charanga venues then of course it's cuban -- on1, with exception of a few guys who can dance Son (which is really the orginal cuban on2 ;) )

7. alemana

alemana New Member

i dance on 2 but the music 'guides' me in a much more meaningful way than just in terms of where i break. that crap is just mechanics...

8. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

I dont know much about anything. I'm still a baby. All I know is that in the last year, I've noticed that huge changes come about in the slightest of ways when the music changes. In theatre, we study neutral mask. WE dress in black and don a white mask with a totally neutral expression and stylized features. IN neutral position, which is just relaxed and totally symmetrical and straight, we can adopt any slight postural change and it reads so loudly you can perceive the message from across a stadium. IN dancing it's the same thing. On1, On2, whatever, those are the neutral skeletons. Then the music is dropped in, and our changes, our posture, our facial expressions and the speed of our movement, the emotion that flows through us, reads froma mile away. So while I don' tknow much about technical, stylistic differences in dancing, I do know how deeply I feel those slow romantic salsas where we sweep across the floor or pulse in a rhythm together, and I know that the audience is transported to that same place while they watch us. When something rhtyhmic and adrenaline-pumping comes on and I lose myself in sweaty blindness, I see the ones watching grinning from ear to ear and nodding and clapping and I know that reads too. I get supremely frustrated when I dance with someone who disregards the music entirely and rips me through the emotion, denies me the opportunity to embody the music and uses me as a flourish for his ego.

Changing with the music is the ultimate mark of humility, joy in salsa, identification with the art and connection with the musical artists who gave us the material to dance to in the first place. It's also a great sign that you respect your partner and take pleasure in allowing him or her a euphoric, connected experience as well.

9. desconocida

desconocida Member

I prefer dancing on2 - so I like socials that play salsa dura, mambo - or however you'd classify all the on2 staff...
    But sometimes (normally only with my partner) I like to dance to Marc Anthony or Victor Manuelle or Frankie Negron a.s.o. - and in this case I feel that on1 suits better to the music. So I normally dance this songs on1!
    E.g. last weekend I was dancing with a great on2 leader, definitely one of the best (if not the best at this moment) in my country. After some great "on2 songs" came "Contra la Corriente" - we continued dancing... I really love this song - sometimes I have to cry listening to it, really! But it felt strange to dance it on2!
    Even in spite of the great leader! :rolleyes:

10. Vin

Vin New Member

I am in agreement with most here that dancing to the music is such a deeper topic than simply what beat to break on.

Although I do find with faster music I prefer on1 whereas with slower to more medium tempo music I prefer on2.

11. sweavo

sweavo New Member

The original question was in terms of the broad "styles" rotational / cross-body / rueda. I only "know" cross-body style so that's all I really dance.

I also agree that there is a lot more to interpreting the music than choosing a timing and a "style", but:

As to the choice of dancing on 1 or on 2, I can feel strongly about this for a given tune. On the one hand yeah, it's a skeleton structure, but I disagree that it's "Just" a skeleton structure. Like the clave direction influences the brass parts, the emphasis of the conga is on 2 and of the bongo (and especially the bongo bell) is on 1. So the mix of the particular track can emphasise either the 1 or the 2.

We usually think of dancing following the music, but from the watcher's point of view, the dancer's movements also "point the ear" at the music, so dancing on2 emphasises the conga by the break step coinciding with the slap. For this reason, the choice of count to dance on is subtler than a simple arbitrary choice.

Most people probably don't do this, but as a lifelong amateur percussionist, I "hear" my feet and my other movements and I "play" myself [steady on!] along to the music, this is most notable for me in my footfalls, as if my mind just files the nerve signals from the soles of my feet along with the signals coming from the ears. For this reason, the timing of my steps can sound discordant to me to a given track.

12. africana

africana New Member

yeah the OP was asking about choosing count systems & styles, not necc feeling the music... we've had many threads on both actually

13. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

To me not all salsa dura is on2. As I'm a relative newbie in on2, I need a strong mambo feeling in the music to feel it on2.

My favourite Edinburgh nights play all types of salsa, and yes I try to dance the style I feel is right for the song. Having said that, being a follower, this is all subject to the availability of leaders of each style.

14. amrimi

amrimi New Member

Who is that? I'm really interested.