Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Who could replace Carrie Ann?

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by chachachacat, Feb 5, 2006.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Fine... fine. Long story short. Most of us agree that Carrie Anne's clueless, from a ballroom perspective. But ... the list of potential C-A replacements is pretty darn short, so far. :?

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I actually think Toni would be fantastic.
    She is absolutely stunningly beautiful, very articulate, has a cool accent, extremely knowledgeable, probably won't grip about things being "too American style".

3. pygmalion

What did Porfirio say again? Maybe it's time. :wink:

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hey, i made three suggestions bucko

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

game is over...here they all come:rolleyes:

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I actually think that could be an issue, since there would then be no Americans on the "judging" panel--just a Brit, an Aussie and an Italian.

7. Medira

Medira New Member

Maybe he was looking for the nearest set of tight latin pants? ;)

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

If I could actually fit in them, that would be a different matter... :oops:

9. pygmalion

Good point. That probably wouldn't go over too well, with an American audience. :?

10. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Depending on how you define "american" (example, ruling out everyone with an accent) you could end up excluding a near majority of the best known US dancers/teachers.

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Also, if we're talking about such closed-minded understandings of American, Toni looks more "American" than Carrie Ann or Bruno!

12. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Why not get Sonia Kruger? (aka Tina Sparkle???) An actual ballroom dancer turned newscaster.... Now whoda thunk that?

Oh yeah... She's a moooooveeeeeeeee star, too. A ballroom movie star? Not a bit part actor in some schlocky piece of camp.... Oh wait.... Bitter, me?

13. alemana

alemana New Member

that would pretty much be the ideal person - ballroom *and* broadcasting experience. it would be great if someone had the opportunity to become the Dick Button of ballroom telecasting.

14. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Anybody remember David Canty? He was doing quite well in the US senior standard ten years back, and his day job was radio announcer. Sounds like a good combination to me.

15. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

But should it really matter whether someone looks or sounds American? I mean who really cares if they're American or European or Australian? Does everyone here really think that the audience is going to mind a diverse international panel of judges? Is it possible that viewers will see it as something that makes the show more interesting?

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Personally I couldn't care less how someone looks or sounds RI, but I was offering that idea in response to the post Chris S made. As far as how it would be seen, I can't really guess, only hope.

17. Fedya

Fedya New Member

I think that Wendy Johnson would make a great judge.

18. Chris Stratton

I wonder if there isn't a fair amount or risk to real ballroom professionals who participate - they get exposure, but in more detail and perhaps not as favorable light as an ordinary competition where they either dance in a more traditional format, or rank couples but don't have to comment.

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Joe and Mary Sixpack don't know any of the "best known" US dancers/teachers.

20. Chris Stratton

True, but part of the problem with the current panel is that the dance community doesn't think they have enough ballroom knowledge - the purpose of getting a well known ballroom personality would be to rectify that immediately, rather than a lesser known person having to prove their expertise by saying sensible things over the course of the show.