Swing Discussion Boards > who does / likes aerials? - who does them regularly

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Feb 20, 2005.

?

Do you do aerials?

1. I do aerials regularly

100.0%
  2. I like aerials, but do them just rarely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I like them - but don't do them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't need aerials at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. luh

luh Active Member

hi, another poll for you.
    who does aerials? who likes them, and who does them regularly?
    I got to that question, cause in my area, I'm the only one who knows how some of the aerials work. It's not common at all, but I love them, i even miss them over here. It was way more common in the swing club in america. But maybe that's a thing for young dancers or something - could be. just as explanation why i got that question for you.
    luh

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I used to do aerials quite a bit when swing was hitting a peak in the late 90's. I even taught aerials classes, but now there doesn't seem to be as high of a demand for aerials. I occasionally do aerials when I'm performing swing.

3. luh

luh Active Member

but how do you think it comes that there is less demand for aerials?
    They are that fun! :D

4. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

I love aerials, but don't have a regular training partner to practice them with.

5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I'm just talking about getting fewer requests from students. Of course they are fun! :D

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Aerials are definitely fun, but cannot be done as often appropriately because of crowded dance floors. Then there is the question of time as most of my time goes to salsa, then AT, then ballroom and swing...

7. luh

luh Active Member

well but why are there fewer requests? :?:
    luh

8. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Aerials -- love 'em, have to have 'em. Just gotta be super cautious about space on the dance floor. No space = no aerials.

9. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Maybe because Gap stopped running that commercial? :lol:

10. labelledanseuse

labelledanseuse New Member

What type of Swing can you do aerials in? WCS, ECS, .....?

11. dnquark

dnquark New Member

Mostly ECS and lindy. They don't usually fit with the music and the dynamics of WCS.

Percentage-wise, I've seen more ECS people that are into aerials. IMO, this is the populace that, after getting bored with the basic ECS, decides to be like the Gap commercial kids and get into aerials. They by and large have pretty poor connection, and tend to clump into their cliques (because their tricks aren't socially leadable.)

The most impressive aerials are done by hardcore lindy dancers, although the percentage of lindy hoppers doing aerials beyond simple lifts and jumps is pretty small. Lindy is tremendously satisfying without the need to get airborne.

12. blue

blue New Member

Haven't tried much yet, and those I tried are those simple ones you let beginners do - the follower jumps, and the leader just assists the jump a bit. With my martial arts background, I think those that are closer to hip throws would be a lot more fun... :( Like this one, in the end of the first couple's first round (a Jack&Jill competition)
    http://www.zootsociety.co.uk/ => Videos => Barswingona Open 1
    I could do it, and I would love to! but I don't suppose I will have a chance of having someone wanting to try it with me for at least a few years. And by then, no one will want to try because I'm too old. [​IMG]

13. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the only time i do aerials, floor sweeps, dips or drops is pretty much for a show or routine:

- most moves are not leadable & require practice (not to mention spotters) & should not be done with an unsuspecting partner (who may be nursing an injury that could be aggravated);
    - most moves generally require more room than is available on a typically crowded dance floor;
    - leaders who choose to ignore the safety issues involved generally develop reputations for being a showoff without regard fo anyone else's welfare & followers spread the word pretty quickly;

14. luh

luh Active Member

i never did them without a lot of space, but to answer the question in which swing dance i do them:
    Most of the times jitterbug (it could be that is considered east coast - but I'm not sure)
    but in tandem charleston (also heard it as running charleston), there are some pretty nice ones too.
    and @tsb again:
    dips don't need a lot of space, they are, easy, don't need a lot of practice, and they are just part of the dance!
    that's how i look at dips. but with aerials, there has to be more space, obviously, - i agree on that with you.
    luh

15. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Way too old to even think about them :!: :!: :!:

16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Nah!! Can't be! :shock:Really!?!!

17. luh

luh Active Member

do you really think you are? i mean i saw some people doing aerials, and i can tell you, they weren't that young (maybe in their 60s)
    luh

18. blue

blue New Member

My guess is, those folks learned it when they were younger than they are now.

19. luh

luh Active Member

I'd guess so too :wink:

(but you gotta start somewhen - that you started when you were younger :p)

20. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i know of at least one instance where a friend had her ribs broken because the guy attempting a dip didn't know what he was doing. now she only dances with guys she knows. and i also know other women who don't like certain dips & avoid dancing with guys who do them indiscriminately. the point is that you are free to try and lead whatever moves you choose but you may find yourself with fewer willing partners in the future as a consequence if you don't consider the possibility that your partner may not have the same expectations that you have.