Salsa > Who does Salsa attract?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by esa negrita..., Apr 22, 2006.

1. esa negrita...

esa negrita... New Member

I really hope this doesn't offend anyone, but from what I've noticed, Salsa seems to attract three groups of people more than others...native dancers, people who like attention and...quirkier people. Being a member of the latter set, I have to say that that's what's amazed me the most. The more dancers I meet, the more I've notice that they are people that don't fit into traditional molds, whatever those might be. From people who don't find the bar/club scene appealing, to those who find they need more than a 9-5 to keep them fulfilled, there seems to be a definite trend "outliers" being drawn to salsa. I would toss Edie into that category since she had such a traditional job and her personality is definitely offbeat. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just surprised to see my own kind?:)

2. africana

africana New Member

you just noticed that salser@s are a strange troubled bunch?? lol

I'm sure I fall into at least 2/3 categories, if not all 3 (I don't know what counts as 'quirky')
    cmon, whdya expect with addicts?? some even say we're all ADD or depressed or manical or something heh

3. icering

icering New Member

I am completely uncoventional....so I guess I would fall in one of those.

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

i'm a straight-laced, button down shirt kind of guy ;-)

5. DensterNY

DensterNY New Member

Well, being in New York I find a large majority of Salsa dancers are native dancers from a Puerto Rican, Cuban or Dominican background. The rest of the dancers, like myself, can fall all over the radar map in terms of personality, careers, etc...

My interest in Salsa began with a Cuban girlfriend who lived and breathed Salsa and she asked for only one concession as we got serious - that I learned Salsa. Although things didn't work out with her my current girlfriend, a Nuyorican (Puerto Rican from NY) asked the same thing so that's how I began my journey. Otherwise, I'm a Mid-town businessman by day... Salsero by night. :raisebro:

6. genEus

genEus New Member

I think not even so much "whom Salsa attracts" but also "who gets it, is good at it and sticks with it." In my short experience I have seen many people go through our studio and the ones that actually get somewhere and become decent ARE in fact "native dancers, people who like attention and...quirkier people." However, there were many who were "attracted" to it but quickly got discouraged or lost interest and left after the introductory course. They did not fall into any of the above categories as it turns out.

7. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

What I think attracts the quirkier sort is this: it doesn't matter what you look like, where you come from, what ou think, your relgious beliefs or anything. Dance transcends all pigeonholes you've been shoved into all your life. On the dance floor, we experience a resurrection, a new life... we experience a chance to live according to our passion, and connect to another person with passion, freeing ourselves at last and experiencing the joy, popularity, admiration, satisfaction, respect, self-expression and commitment we may have only vainly aspired to when we were younger.

Also, those of us who have been frustrated by life experiences in the past or in our off-the-dancefloor life are itching to completely dedicateourselves to something with as big a payoff as dancing. Other people who have had everythng easy, socially, physically, whatever, during their youths, are more complacent at the time of life most of us find dance. We really actualize ourselves out here. The only thing that matters is the dance... and we can simultaneously lose and find ourselves in it.

8. amo_dile_que_no

amo_dile_que_no New Member

Right on. I couldn't agree more. I feel all of that when I'm dancing in Gestalt, nonspecific way.

I have been called a lot of things, but quirky is not one of them. But if you say I don't always feel like I really fit where I am, that would be accurate. A round peg in a square hole. I don't think I fit into neat categories. That's one of the things about the concept of yin and yang, that appeals to me. I always feel at home and like an outsider almost all of the time in anything I do. A social misfit my be a better descriptive for me, rather than quirky :)

And, I think I notice that there seems to be a lot of engineers, computer analysts, and accountants that are salsa dancers. Now that's what I call quirky!

9. africana

africana New Member

:rolleyes: okay then 3/3 LOL

10. amo_dile_que_no

I should have put a smiley after that because of course I was just kidding :). Wasn't trying for sarcastic. I'm a teacher at a small college, myself.

What does 3/3 mean? I'm still new to a lot of the short-hand. This is the first forum I've ever posted on. I am really enjoying it though as this seems to be a very interesting group with a lot of substantive discussion (without taking it all too seriously).

11. genEus

genEus New Member

Africana posted earlier: ;)

12. amo_dile_que_no

Thanks, so much for my short-term memory.

13. devane

devane New Member

I'd go with that.
    Like all sports/hobbies/past-times a lot of people start with plenty of enthusiasm but don't know what's involved in what they're taking up.
    In January Gyms, Sports clubs of all types and Salsa are overwhelmed with people. But who stays is anyones guess. Everybody has their reasons for staying or going.

What definity gets people in is dance based movies and all those "come dancing" shows and their clones.
    I haven't seen the american version but in one of the English ones you see what's involved in learning to dance. One of them was on every day following the training so at least the next wave of beginners have a better idea of what dance is about.
    The thing about films like "Dirty Dancing" is Baby gets good in about 5 mins playing "Hungry Eyes". Yeah Right!

I have another Homer Quote, I know it's wrong but it's funny.

Homer: Bart, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.

14. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

there was nothing about those movies that attracted me or made me want to dance. I liked them AFTER i knew how to dance. It may be true that they spark other people's interest, perhaps...

15. sweavo

sweavo New Member

There are freaks all over the place, it's just easier to hide your freakishness in a "regular" club where it's dark and nobody can hold a conversation because the music is so loud...

16. Ellis

Ellis New Member

I have seen that too - and teachers, nurses, ...

In fact any proffession (there seem to be a large number of proffessionals in my area) where you get a largely single-sex environment at work.

Single, no chance of meeting someone at work, nights out from work are just p***-ups - hey, lets try learning salsa ... I am actually enjoying this ... hey I really can do this ... what did I do before I found salsa? ... I really must find time to see my old friends, now where can I go to dance tonight?

17. nikita

nikita New Member

I was crazy for Salsa music, long before I could dance a single step. I don't know, if my neighbours shared my passion, but I was listening to this music 24/7 when I was home.
    But for whatever reason I never went to a dance school, at least, as long as I lived in Italy. I only started in Portugal, when I went there for a short trip. This was destiny. I live there ever since and I don't remember a single day I wasn't dancing since I moved there. It's nearly 4 years now:lol: .
    But when I see the Italians dancing....

18. esa negrita...

esa negrita... New Member

I'm definitely one of those professionals looking for a change. I spend all my days studying, thinking and studying...Salsa has become an amazingly wonderful contrast.

19. SyrU_dancer

SyrU_dancer New Member

I would agree that a lot of the typical salsa dancer is one of those three categories. Albet the latin segment tends to be the ones on the sides of the dance floor usually except for one or two really good dancers. (up here anyway)
    What irritates me is the ethnic groups/hardcore salser's often refuse to learn the other dances. Put on a cha-cha and their on the floor trying to salsa to it. Get out of the way!! please.

20. nikita

nikita New Member

I have just seen this in Spain. They put on a lot's of ChaCha and they danced Salsa steps to it:confused: . But I think this is because the schools here don't offer much of other Latin dances. I loved to learn ChaCha- but there is no offer.